Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

How many people warm up their Fiesta ST before driving?

How many people warm up their Fiesta ST before driving?

• I don't

Votes: 122 34.0%
  • I always do

Votes: 131 36.5%
  • I do but only on really cold days

Votes: 106 29.5%

• Total voters

pelotonracer2

1000 Post Club
To me it's not wasting gas, the two minutes is to give the A/C enough time to pump out cold air.
I feel your pain... living in Arizona can be a major PITA if the car sits out in the sun for an extended amount of time. [wink]

This is a perfect example of how great this forum is for the community!

My FiST was new January 21st, middle of of a fairly cold winter.

I treated the car like all my other cars and allowed it to warm up for a few minutes before driving.

Then I read a thread on this subject elsewhere in the forum; and contemplated my personal experience:

After several minutes of warm-up in the cold, I might have one or two bars on the gauge. Drive away carefully and car would warm to half in little more than a block.

On advice, I modified my regime to: start it, drive away, don't lug it (1500 rpm min), don't rev it (shift 2000 - 3000 max depending on circumstance). Car will warm to half in the same "little more than a block". Don't get into it for several minutes allowing the heat to soak through and even out in the engine.

I believe my new SOP will be beneficial to the well-being of my FiST.

Originally I would have voted "I always do", but I just went in under "I don't".

And I thank the FiestaSTforum community!
Same here[dictate]

GAbOS

During cold weather months, I had no choice to let it idle a bit in my last car with a dual clutch unit. It was useless until it's fluid got somewhat warm.

A few people have said this already, but I typically only let it sit for about 30 seconds while I'm searching for what song I want to play from my phone. I then drive conservatively 2-3k rpm until the car is fully warmed up. Doesn't take very long with the Fist, maybe a block or two.

Rhinopolis

I monitor oil temps on the AP and don't start getting aggressive until those temps reach 175 F.

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I wait until the cat warmup high idle settles down before I roll out. Then keep it under 3500 rpm or so for about 5 minutes.

neeqness

1000 Post Club
I warm mine up every single time. I warmed up pretty much all of my cars. Neighbors teased me about it at first with my last few because they have been within a few years to brand new but now at least half of them do it too, lol.

Sent using Tapatalk

Do you let your fiesta st warm-up ?

This kinda old school but I usually let my fiesta st warm up for a minute or 2 I'm at 2k miles on it ?

Zormecteon

I go about 5 seconds or so. When it's cold one can hear the engine slow down after the choke turns off, generally quite quickly. Engines actually warm up better under load.

Every car ive owned ive let warm up to operating temp or very close. If i was in a rush id let it warm up at least 2 dashes then stay out of boost until operating temp again. Im not sure boost and cold motors go good together? Just my opinion.

JasonHaven

It's about 1000 degrees out, warm up isn't necessary ;)

(I 'warm up' until the RPM drops, regardless of season)

OffTheWall503

1000 Post Club
Something most younger people would know nothing about. [biggrin]

I generally let the vehicle idle for 30 seconds to 1 minute before slowing taking off. I will usually let the first or second bar on the temp gauge come up before moving. Once moving, I am light on the throttle until it's fully warmed up.

neeqness

1000 Post Club
It depends on the motor too. Each one operates differently.

Sent using Tapatalk

I am in tampa. I usally start up and let run for a few minutes to get the ac going and get oil pumping.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Subject:
1) Engine Control Systems
2) Lubrication

Anecdote & Info:
1) The ECT sensor on my motorcycle will not register a temperature at all until it's at a minimum of ~106?F (digital readout on dash). Many Oxygen Sensors have similar limitations and don't register precise information until a minimum temperature is reached. Engine control systems need this information to set performance-safe timing and A/F ratios. Prior to these information sets being available, they rely on pre-programmed factory preset and/or historical data.
2) For my old car, I would get a second or two of valve train clatter on initial start either post oil change, or having sat for more than ten days. The way to bypass this problem, was to prime the lubrication system via exteneded crank time. (holding the accelerator pedal to the floor before and during crank turns off fuel injectors) The colder it is, the longer the crank time had to be in order to avoid the clatter.

Thoughts:
Based on personal observation and experience, best practice is to wait until the ECT, (maybe O? as well,) sensor reaches it's minimum operating temperature. From 19?F to 90?F this took approximately eight minutes to thirty seconds on the motorcycle. Digital readout on the FiST unfortunately (likely) requires an OBD-II hookup.

For two reasons I'd avoid "higher" RPMs and/or cylinder pressures until the engine is warmed to roughly 80 or 90% of normal running temperature. First reason has to do with probable improved distribution of warmer oil and the second has to do with the expansion of warmer engine parts, reducing gaps and consequently blow-by, oil contamination. Many folks will note that a cold engine produces better power but this is primarily due to intake temperatures, fuel enrichment and circumstantial timing settings.

I start mine and drive off, but I don't ever get on the throttle until my AP shows that the OIL TEMP is in the triple digits. Generally till I get to the highway intersection near me. In the summer that means its about 120 or so by the time I really floor it. In the winter that means the oil temp has just broken 100 when its really cold.

dyn085

2000 Post Club
I start mine and drive off, but I don't ever get on the throttle until my AP shows that the OIL TEMP is in the triple digits. Generally till I get to the highway intersection near me. In the summer that means its about 120 or so by the time I really floor it. In the winter that means the oil temp has just broken 100 when its really cold.
That's actually far too low; you should be waiting until 160 or higher before going WOT. On the bright side, oil temp is inferred and not actual.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk