Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

How many people warm up their Fiesta ST before driving?

How many people warm up their Fiesta ST before driving?

• I don't

Votes: 122 34.0%
  • I always do

Votes: 131 36.5%
  • I do but only on really cold days

Votes: 106 29.5%

• Total voters

MKVIIST

5000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
I know this is something not really required with newer cars, but sometimes its a hard habit to break. I always find myself letting the car warm up for about two minutes before driving in the mornings. Curious to see how many people get in their cars and drive right away while others let it sit and warm up a bit before driving.

airjor13

2000 Post Club
I make sure the water temp is about 120-130 (its turns to middle of the temp gauge on the cluster at 122) and the oil temp about 90-100 before driving off!

I like to warm it up because I sure as hell don't like to be woken up, no warm up or prep and made to run spirit a mile within 1 minute [sleeping]

CanadianST

I always let mine warm up before doing any real driving, just feels wrong not doing it. I actually find myself reaching for the choke now and again as I go to start it like in the Datsun haha

TheStig

My MS3 had a blue light on the dash that indicated it was cold and when that went off it was up to operating temps. But in the winter that light would still be on after 4-5 minutes of idling so i would just drive off as soon as my RPM's dropped to a normal idle range.

In the FiST it warms up basically RIGHT away, when it was cold out in the mornings (Arizona cold, 40 degrees) it would take 1-2 minutes to drop down to normal idle. Now that its spring and 70 in the morning and 100 in the afternoon, it takes about 20 seconds to get up to temp and idle drop.

Generally its a 1-2 minute thing. Get in, start it, get situated, put my drink down, hook up my AP and change the radio usually then shes warm.

stuntdoogie

2000 Post Club
Every car ive owned i let it warm up before moving especially in the winter.

The best way to warm up a car is to drive it gently until temps come up...idling is bad for cars...why? low oil pressure, which leads to less than satisfactory lubrication in the top end....most wear and tear an engine gets is at startup and idle and obviously beating the hell out of it...

iso100

1000 Post Club
What RD said. Get in and drive off immediately. Wait for the coolant temp to rise before getting into it but drive away immediately. Letting it warm up while idling is a bad idea.

I let the RPM's drop then drive mellow 3+ miles. But I still think the car is made of glass so I haven't really driven it hard at all.

I generally don't bother with it. Sometimes I'll let it idle for a minute or so but really as long as you don't go completely mental within the first few minutes, it doesn't matter...

Perry

Start. Shift into reverse. Back out of drive--about 45 feet. Stop. Shift into 1st. Drive at slow speed to end of block (approx. 100 yd). Stop. Drive as usual.

Hop in car, plug in phone, turn car on, set radio, reverse about 30 ft out of my parking stall, drive through parking area idling in second gear (about 1/4 mile), normal driving the rest of the way. Car is up to 4/8 water temperature by the time I hit my first stop light.

I always drive right away because of reasons mentioned previously in this tread, idling is bad for motors (unless it's close to 0 degrees).

I just monitor my oil temperature, and I don't WOT or into higher RPMs until oil temp is over 170 degrees.

I dont believe in letting a car idle. I get in, startup and drive off granny style till operating temp is reached.

In the winter, I'll usually start it and let it idle while i take the snow/ice off of it. Than, drive slowly until I get the 4 bars.

In the summer, I start it and drive. I go slow until I get my 4 bars too. But they come quick in the summer!