Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Spec-D LED Re-pin....how it really goes down

I installed mine today and am pretty disappointed with the fit. Did anyone else have issues getting them to fit flush to the body near the bottom of the light assembly?

Also, where did everyone end up sticking the load resistor? I couldn't find anywhere on the external body area under the light assembly to stick it and have the lights sit right. I ended up snaking the wires under the grommet and sticking it to the inside body metal near where the interior connector was anchored.

I installed mine today and am pretty disappointed with the fit. Did anyone else have issues getting them to fit flush to the body near the bottom of the light assembly?

Also, where did everyone end up sticking the load resistor? I couldn't find anywhere on the external body area under the light assembly to stick it and have the lights sit right. I ended up snaking the wires under the grommet and sticking it to the inside body metal near where the interior connector was anchored.
I did the same thing with the resistors. Found it odd none of the writeups even mention the thing! Also have the same issue with them not sitting flush, but I just kind of brush it off

I did the same thing with the resistors. Found it odd none of the writeups even mention the thing! Also have the same issue with them not sitting flush, but I just kind of brush it off
I had no problem getting them to sit flush. The resistor has 3m tape on the back so I just stuck it on a flat part of the tail light and it bolted right up no problem. The only issue I had was getting the trim to go back together.

My only issue was the wires from the tail light are slightly shorter than the OEM ones. I had to snap the tab holding the wires down behind the trim to get it to connect and then taped them down. Other than that, I'm really liking the fit.

OP
TyphoonFiST

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #26
IF any of you have a moisture issue...Which will most likely happen I have the Cure for it also. The load resistors I ended up just moving them into the housing all and all....That helped the fitment a lot. Then I followed that up and got some High density foam that has an adhesive backing. Removed the old foam completely and cleaned up all the left over excess foam with adhesive remover. Then utilized the High density foam and fashioned a new gasket /cover piece to shield the hole that Spec-D deemed to be ok as long as you live in the GOBI Desert in fU*%ING Mongolia where it hardly rains or never you wash your precious gem of a car. Also if you get moisture in your housing and you cant drain it all out ...You can buy desiccant moisture removing bags in 5 oz. to 10 oz.......Some also Turn colors to let you know that they are absorbing moisture. Then remove the lamps from the car...I know....I know....your car wont look cool for a couple days but at least you can get all the moisture out now. I put mine into Plastic totes with a desiccant bag inside the housing the hole thru the back and a couple just thrown into the Plastic tote for good measure. Then let them sit a couple days and Voila! No more moisture...Now you can create your own cover gaskets to keep the moisture out and get that crap box out on the road buzzing around again! If you have any questions PM ME And ill send you the link for the HDF for making gaskets/ covers for the hole to stop the moistness. [raceflag]

I didn't forget my Gif either!

The female connectors need to be separated from the grey head after the white retainer comes out...THEY DO NOT just push right out from front to back. Here is why...when you look down the connector with a light there are tangs that much be pushed down with a sewing needle and you must grasp the wire and almost pinch it while applying force to the grey connector while you use the sewing needle to release the tang on the inside.

The connector will look like this when pins are in the correct slots. They slide right in and lock into place after passing the tangs in the grey connector. Then install the white retainer back into the grey connector. You are now ready to rock and roll...relax drink a beer...smoke a doobie....the lights are now ready for install. I would but it's currently -10Ā°. It will happen tomorrow ...when it's 30Ā°.
Just installed these as well and thank you for the helpful tutorial. I ran into problems extracting the pins from the connector and what helped me to to slide the straight needle/pick between the pin and the "tang" of the gray connector and gently pry/depress the pick against the tang to release the pin. Once the plastic tang of the connector was lifted enough from touching the pin, the pin slides out with very minimal tension. My problems came before I realized I needed to lift the tang from the pin...pulled too hard on the wire, almost disconnecting it from the pin and deforming the pin front a tad trying to push it from front to back.

Bottomline is, you shouldn't need to push the pin AT ALL from the front. Get a sewing needle/pick as described, slide it between pin and tang. Lift the tang (takes a little careful probing). Gently slide the released pin out (there should be no resistance/catching).

I had no problem getting them to sit flush. The resistor has 3m tape on the back so I just stuck it on a flat part of the tail light and it bolted right up no problem. The only issue I had was getting the trim to go back together.
Do you mean the wire length from the rubber plug/grommet to the gray connector were too short? I noticed that they were short as well out of the box...the wires will actually slide through the rubber plug/grommet. All I did to get more length to match the OEM's was to gently pull and slide more wire through the rubber grommet so I had enough slack to reach the matching connector on the car's harness.

OP
TyphoonFiST

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #30
Question on the spec-d taillights

First off I wanted to thank everyone for all the help and posts in the forum...itā€™s been invaluable as I mod my 17ā€™ ecobeast!
So I just ordered a set of the diode dynamics switchbacks for my headlight turn signals, I know theyā€™ll hyperblink without resistors; however I thought I read somewhere if you have resistors in your taillights that would cover the fronts as well. Iā€™m waiting on my spec-d taillights as we speak....am I good or should I plan on front resistors as well?
Thanks!
Do you mean the wire length from the rubber plug/grommet to the gray connector were too short? I noticed that they were short as well out of the box...the wires will actually slide through the rubber plug/grommet. All I did to get more length to match the OEM's was to gently pull and slide more wire through the rubber grommet so I had enough slack to reach the matching connector on the car's harness.

To add to this the Reverse/Backup Bulbs are an 1156 now due to the Change of Tail lamp assemblies..... Here is a link for the Best bulbs ever for the Reverse/Backup lights....

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0751BJMB9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For those who want the shine like the sun in Reverse! [deviltail]
Hey TFST,

Do you happen to know if these will be brighter than DD's (https://www.diodedynamics.com/backup-leds-for-2014-2015-ford-fiesta-hatchback-pair.html) brightest (XP50) reverse bulbs? The DDs are rated at 410 lumens/bulb, while the ones you linked are rated at 1200 Lumens, I'm assuming combined.

Also are the 1156 bulbs just for the Spec-D or stock as well. I thought the stock reverse bulbs were 921s?

OP
TyphoonFiST

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #33
Hey TFST,

Do you happen to know if these will be brighter than DD's (https://www.diodedynamics.com/backup-leds-for-2014-2015-ford-fiesta-hatchback-pair.html) brightest (XP50) reverse bulbs? The DDs are rated at 410 lumens/bulb, while the ones you linked are rated at 1200 Lumens, I'm assuming combined.

Also are the 1156 bulbs just for the Spec-D or stock as well. I thought the stock reverse bulbs were 921s?
They are just for Spec-d tail light assemblies.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

I'm getting mine ready for install. I'm trying to figure out the kind of high density foam you used because my Google searches pull up things that look like what's already on the housing. And I want to make sure these suckers are sealed right.

Also, has anyone found a need to run silicone around the outside between the lense and housing?

Thanks all for the great thread šŸ‘

OP
TyphoonFiST

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #35
I'm getting mine ready for install. I'm trying to figure out the kind of high density foam you used because my Google searches pull up things that look like what's already on the housing. And I want to make sure these suckers are sealed right.

Also, has anyone found a need to run silicone around the outside between the lense and housing?

Thanks all for the great thread [emoji106]
No....no....you dont need any silicone....the outer shell is sealed just fine.

Here's the link for the foam

Black Self-stick Adhesive 10" x... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0736HZTZK?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Hey Typhoon, bumping a old-ish thread, but I've got my SpecD lights coming in today. Thanks to your awesome write up here, I'm prepared for the re-pin and already have the new foam in hand. I was wondering if you had any pictures of your lights with the new foam in place for reference.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Questions:
0) Are the bulbs included? - yes, (presumably) all LED
1) DO these have built in turn signal resistors? - ???
2) Reverse Lights "Bulb" Type - 1156 (answered here - https://www.fiestastforum.com/threads/spec-d-led-re-pin-how-it-really-goes-down.16195/post-299091)
3) Brake/Running Lights "Bulb" Type - ????
4) Turn Signal Lights "Bulb" Type - ????

Purchase Source:
https://www.fiestastforum.com/threa...lable-at-whoosh-motorsports.15995/post-296076

EDIT:
OEM Light Bulbs:
https://www.fiestastforum.com/threads/ford-fiesta-st-bulb-sizes.1134/

Last edited:
Questions:
0) Are the bulbs included? - yes, (presumably) all LED
1) DO these have built in turn signal resistors? - ???
2) Reverse Lights "Bulb" Type - 1156 (answered here - https://www.fiestastforum.com/threads/spec-d-led-re-pin-how-it-really-goes-down.16195/post-299091)
3) Brake/Running Lights "Bulb" Type - ????
4) Turn Signal Lights "Bulb" Type - ????

Purchase Source:
https://www.fiestastforum.com/threa...lable-at-whoosh-motorsports.15995/post-296076
0) Yes
1) Yes
2) Yes
3) LED (not replaceable to my knowledge)
4) LED (not replaceable to my knowledge)

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

OP
TyphoonFiST

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #39
Hey Typhoon, bumping a old-ish thread, but I've got my SpecD lights coming in today. Thanks to your awesome write up here, I'm prepared for the re-pin and already have the new foam in hand. I was wondering if you had any pictures of your lights with the new foam in place for reference.
I apologize as I missed this...but I will say I haven't had a leak or condensation since! If you still need a picture I can get it in the next couple of days.

I apologize as I missed this...but I will say I haven't had a leak or condensation since! If you still need a picture I can get it in the next couple of days.
No worries! I got it handled and they've stayed dry through several rain storms! Thanks!!

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk