Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

What all do you need to install Bilstein PSS coilovers?

I'm planning on picking up a set of Bilstein PSS soon and I am unsure of what all I need. With the front being an inverted strut I won't need a bump stop for the front. So will I just need to order a strut mount and bearing? The rear is what I'm really confused about, do you also not run a bump stop or do you shorten the factory one? When I go to TascaParts you can't get the rear bump stop separate, it comes as a whole shock. Lastly do they no come with dust boots? I've ran Bilstein in the past and they have always come with dust boots. Any feedback is appreciated.

You reuse the stock rear parts. It does not come with strut boots, so from the front you can get bearings, boots and mounts if you don’t want to use your stock stuff. If you want to use stock, I would still replace the front bearings since they are a wear item. That’s pretty much it for install.

CSM

1000 Post Club
You reuse the stock rear parts. It does not come with strut boots, so from the front you can get bearings, boots and mounts if you don’t want to use your stock stuff. If you want to use stock, I would still replace the front bearings since they are a wear item. That’s pretty much it for install.
Bringing this back from dead as I have a set of Bilstein B14 PSS in hand and am about to install.

I've got all new boots, bearings and strut mounts for the front.

I've read where people re-use the rear upper shock mounts. Is there a reason why they don't buy those new too? Seems like they have a rubber bushing material in them that's a wear item. Also why does the rears have only one collar and not a lock collar?

Last edited:
I installed a used set of Bilstein Coilovers on my car. I disassembled the stock suspension in order to get the bearings and mounts. Reassembling was a pain in the butt due to the allen head that needs to be held in place as you are tightening the front strut main nut. I ended up using a vise grip to clamp onto a socket, put the allen key through the socket and tightened by hand until snug, and gave it a quick zap with my 1/2 impact just to be sure. Doesn't need to be on super tight, only to 32 ft lbs i believe.

One of the front bearings ended up making noise when it was installed on the coilovers so i had to remove and install a new one. You may as well install new hardware while you are in there to prevent having to redo it, especially if your car has 60K+ miles like mine did.

CSM

1000 Post Club
I installed a used set of Bilstein Coilovers on my car. I disassembled the stock suspension in order to get the bearings and mounts. Reassembling was a pain in the butt due to the allen head that needs to be held in place as you are tightening the front strut main nut. I ended up using a vise grip to clamp onto a socket, put the allen key through the socket and tightened by hand until snug, and gave it a quick zap with my 1/2 impact just to be sure. Doesn't need to be on super tight, only to 32 ft lbs i believe.

One of the front bearings ended up making noise when it was installed on the coilovers so i had to remove and install a new one. You may as well install new hardware while you are in there to prevent having to redo it, especially if your car has 60K+ miles like mine did.
Thanks for the tip. I got a crowfoot 19mm head for the top bolt on the shock. That way I can fit the 6mm allen key through the crowfoot head.

I went ahead and ordered all new hardware across the board and also new strut mounts and bearings for the front. I'll probably cave and order new bushings on the rear too.
View attachment 19811