Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

New Easy Track Day Data System

Hi all,

Yes, this is a shameless plug for my company's product, but I just tested it in my FIST, and wanted to share it with everyone because I can't picture running on the track without it now.

Here's the link to Racepak's new Vantage CL1 Track Day System: https://cl1.racepak.com/trackday/

Our traditional data systems have been boxes that gather data, put it on an SD card, and after a race, you can review data. Live data is displayed on a dedicated dash board. And, for full-time race cars that need tons of data, that's still the way to go. But, for the majority of the guys here, who drive their cars, and take them to the track periodically, this new system is great.

Basically it consists of a data box that has internal high resolution GPS and accelerometers. This takes in a signal from your OBD2 port, and sends everything via Bluetooth to your mobile phone, which is the dash display and data recorder. As you normally would, stick your phone to the windshield or dash. A magnetic GPS antenna goes on the roof. We put the data box in the cup holder, but you can stick it anywhere. Velcro it to the carpet, for example.

We've mapped hundreds of tracks on Google Maps, with start/finish lines. This makes the system hands-off. Start the engine, and the dash screen wakes up. Get on the track, and the dash starts recording your lap times, and +/- predictive lap, along with RPM, temp and speed.

We were testing the system on my car at Buttonwillow near Bakersfield, CA. I've driven this track plenty of times, but have never had live data this useful. I was easily able to see where I was picking up time and losing time on the track, so I could work on the tougher areas to bring my times down.

Best of all, all of the info is also sent to a cloud account, so anyone who is given permission can view the track position accurately on a live, Google Map view of the race track. And, after the race, the info is stored so it can be reviewed at any time. Overlay laps, look at different data like braking, speed, you name it.

For the FIST, all you need is the basic kit, an OBD2 cable and your phone.

If you put your car on the track, take a look at this thing!

Thanks, shameless plug over...

Plus, after three years of saying "I'll put the FIST on the track someday", this test session finally gave me a good excuse, and all I can say is wow, this thing handles great on the track! I have a Cobb Stage 2 system, stock suspension, and my OEM Bridgestones with 30,000 miles on them. I've driven Mustangs and Camaros around Buttonwillow, but the FIST was a lot more fun. Data was showing the car pulling over a full G on the tight turns. My brakes weren't too happy once they got really hot. Might need to upgrade those before the next track day...

Hi all,

Yes, this is a shameless plug for my company's product, but I just tested it in my FIST, and wanted to share it with everyone because I can't picture running on the track without it now.

Here's the link to Racepak's new Vantage CL1 Track Day System: https://cl1.racepak.com/trackday/

Our traditional data systems have been boxes that gather data, put it on an SD card, and after a race, you can review data. Live data is displayed on a dedicated dash board. And, for full-time race cars that need tons of data, that's still the way to go. But, for the majority of the guys here, who drive their cars, and take them to the track periodically, this new system is great.

Basically it consists of a data box that has internal high resolution GPS and accelerometers. This takes in a signal from your OBD2 port, and sends everything via Bluetooth to your mobile phone, which is the dash display and data recorder. As you normally would, stick your phone to the windshield or dash. A magnetic GPS antenna goes on the roof. We put the data box in the cup holder, but you can stick it anywhere. Velcro it to the carpet, for example.

We've mapped hundreds of tracks on Google Maps, with start/finish lines. This makes the system hands-off. Start the engine, and the dash screen wakes up. Get on the track, and the dash starts recording your lap times, and +/- predictive lap, along with RPM, temp and speed.

We were testing the system on my car at Buttonwillow near Bakersfield, CA. I've driven this track plenty of times, but have never had live data this useful. I was easily able to see where I was picking up time and losing time on the track, so I could work on the tougher areas to bring my times down.

Best of all, all of the info is also sent to a cloud account, so anyone who is given permission can view the track position accurately on a live, Google Map view of the race track. And, after the race, the info is stored so it can be reviewed at any time. Overlay laps, look at different data like braking, speed, you name it.

For the FIST, all you need is the basic kit, an OBD2 cable and your phone.

If you put your car on the track, take a look at this thing!

Thanks, shameless plug over...

Plus, after three years of saying "I'll put the FIST on the track someday", this test session finally gave me a good excuse, and all I can say is wow, this thing handles great on the track! I have a Cobb Stage 2 system, stock suspension, and my OEM Bridgestones with 30,000 miles on them. I've driven Mustangs and Camaros around Buttonwillow, but the FIST was a lot more fun. Data was showing the car pulling over a full G on the tight turns. My brakes weren't too happy once they got really hot. Might need to upgrade those before the next track day...
I am definitely interested in something like this. What is the pricing? I would love to have one before my buttonwillow trip at the end of the month! [raceflag]

OP
Gone in 60
Thread Starter #3
The system has been on sale for karting so far, and track day and the autocross and track day version is just now coming online.

The basic system consists of the data box, charger and GPS antenna. That's $595. For the FIST, add an OBD2 cable, which will run $50. Looking, we don't have the OBD2 cable in stock yet, but they are ordered and on the way. For now, the kit includes a wire to take a tach input signal to wake it up and make it work on any car. But we can read OBD2 from any car 2008 or newer (CAN bus OBD) and the OBD2 makes it plug-and-play for the FIST.

You'd need your phone, currently running on Android, waiting for IOS app to be approved by Apple, and a phone mount. We're selling RAM mounts for about $50, but you can use anything.

The app is a free download, called Racepak D3. The cloud service runs $9.95 per month, which gives you the ability to give anyone you like access to your data. Without a cloud account, you can always go back and review your data on your own mobile device, but you can't share it live while you race.

We've been Google mapping tracks around the world for a year, and have a ton of them on our website. You can look at the track database, and if you don't see the one you normally run on, there is a track submission area. I've been doing our mapping, so it will come to me.

For auto cross, naturally since that's in a temporary track, there wouldn't be a Google map overlay. The data would still be there, but on a black background.

BTW, you can look at us testing the system at Buttonwillow on our FB page: https://www.facebook.com/Racepakdatasystems/

Thanks for looking!

OP
Gone in 60
Thread Starter #4
eddietorr, since you mentioned Buttonwillow, and I just tested there, this might be of interest. We have mapped the start/finish line on the main track. However, for the smaller tracks within the main track, like East and West loops, the system automatically designates a start/finish point based on the longest straightaway.

This track was a blast in the FIST!

The system has been on sale for karting so far, and track day and the autocross and track day version is just now coming online.

The basic system consists of the data box, charger and GPS antenna. That's $595. For the FIST, add an OBD2 cable, which will run $50. Looking, we don't have the OBD2 cable in stock yet, but they are ordered and on the way. For now, the kit includes a wire to take a tach input signal to wake it up and make it work on any car. But we can read OBD2 from any car 2008 or newer (CAN bus OBD) and the OBD2 makes it plug-and-play for the FIST.

You'd need your phone, currently running on Android, waiting for IOS app to be approved by Apple, and a phone mount. We're selling RAM mounts for about $50, but you can use anything.

The app is a free download, called Racepak D3. The cloud service runs $9.95 per month, which gives you the ability to give anyone you like access to your data. Without a cloud account, you can always go back and review your data on your own mobile device, but you can't share it live while you race.

We've been Google mapping tracks around the world for a year, and have a ton of them on our website. You can look at the track database, and if you don't see the one you normally run on, there is a track submission area. I've been doing our mapping, so it will come to me.

For auto cross, naturally since that's in a temporary track, there wouldn't be a Google map overlay. The data would still be there, but on a black background.

BTW, you can look at us testing the system at Buttonwillow on our FB page: https://www.facebook.com/Racepakdatasystems/

Thanks for looking!
Thanks for the heads up. A bit out of my budget for a bit unfortunately. If I come up with some extra funds in the near future I will likely pick one up.

eddietorr, since you mentioned Buttonwillow, and I just tested there, this might be of interest. We have mapped the start/finish line on the main track. However, for the smaller tracks within the main track, like East and West loops, the system automatically designates a start/finish point based on the longest straightaway.

This track was a blast in the FIST!
oh man that is really cool! I've only ever run 13CW. Is that what you guys mapped?

And yes taking the FiST on the track is so much fun. I love the reaction from people when you are on their ass! Getting that point by from what should be a faster car is a great feeling!

OP
Gone in 60
Thread Starter #7
The full track is mapped, Clockwise. So, if you are on a shorter portion of the track, the system will automatically figure out what you are doing, and after your first lap, it will have determined the course, and give you lap times, predictive lap, and other data.

Ok, question for you. My brakes were going away after two laps of the full track. What brake setup do you have? Thanks!

The full track is mapped, Clockwise. So, if you are on a shorter portion of the track, the system will automatically figure out what you are doing, and after your first lap, it will have determined the course, and give you lap times, predictive lap, and other data.

Ok, question for you. My brakes were going away after two laps of the full track. What brake setup do you have? Thanks!
When I was on oem pads and rotors all I did was swap fluid. Seemed to hold up fine. I'm still using oem calipers but have slotted rotors and hawk pads.

OP
Gone in 60
Thread Starter #9
Cool, thinking of the same setup for some events coming up soon.

OP
Gone in 60
Thread Starter #10
Guys, we just posted a video from our track day testing, showing how this system works. This should answer most questions. Now, this is weird, by coincidence in the string of text for the video link, there is a derogatory term randomly generated, so I can't apparently directly link to it. But if you go here, you can click on the first video: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyshEL_QHeLGn3VlDZvpMLQ/videos?disable_polymer=1 called "Vantage CL1 Track Day 1"

Last edited: