Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Whoosh Motorsports Hot Side Pipe REVIEW

Trader history for pirite (0)

I've been a Manufacturing Engineer it automotive since 1982 and mainly work in Exhaust and Fuel system components for the Major automakers. As a result one thing that stands out on the Whoosh pipe is the missing and poorly performed Hose beads at the tube ends. The purpose of these beads is to insure that the hose won't pull off if there is tension placed on the hose. So I have to give Woosh a D- on those beads, they will have zero pull off resistance. I strongly suggest that everyone installing one of these pipe tighten the hose clamps really tight. BTW, simple pressure inside the tube can act to blose the hose off if the clamp slips. If you take a 1.5 inch diameter pipe and run the numbers a pressure of just 14 psi inside that pipe and produce 106 lbs of linear force on that hose connection.

To Ron at Woosh. Mckean Machinery Sales in Brookpark Ohio sells used manufacturing machines. While they aren't always available they do have Eagle I/O machines available fairly often, sometimes with prices as low as 1000 dollars. Note, make sure to ask if the machine is Relay Controlled or PLC Controlled. If it's a PLC controlled machine give it a pass. Because quite often these machines have been powered down for years and have lost the programming for the PLC controller, a program that is unobtainable. If it's relay controlled it will always have a control system that is easily repairable, typically swapping in new ice cube relays is all that is needed. The most common failure point on these machines is the rubber spider in the motor couplings for the two hydraulic pumps, a bit of a PITA to replace but not nearly as difficult as replacing the radiator on the FiST. The next thing you'll need is a set of bead tools and those can be purchased brand spanking new for under 1000 dollars if it's a basic design. The company that currently owns the Eagle brand is AddEaton by Numalliance in Lebanon Ohio. BTW, PM me and I can design set of these tools for your specific bead and email PDF design drawings for these tools.

The bead looks fine to me. I'd say by this picture it's a 3/32nd bump. Maybe the first batch were not rolled as good. And since I guess those are made in China, I highly doubt it would be worth the investment and floor space for Ron to buy a bead roller. In any case, he could ask for a revision to the manufacturer and increase the size of the bead.
1596293343035.png

Last edited:

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account
I've been a Manufacturing Engineer it automotive since 1982 and mainly work in Exhaust and Fuel system components for the Major automakers. As a result one thing that stands out on the Whoosh pipe is the missing and poorly performed Hose beads at the tube ends. The purpose of these beads is to insure that the hose won't pull off if there is tension placed on the hose. So I have to give Woosh a D- on those beads, they will have zero pull off resistance. I strongly suggest that everyone installing one of these pipe tighten the hose clamps really tight. BTW, simple pressure inside the tube can act to blose the hose off if the clamp slips. If you take a 1.5 inch diameter pipe and run the numbers a pressure of just 14 psi inside that pipe and produce 106 lbs of linear force on that hose connection.

To Ron at Woosh. Mckean Machinery Sales in Brookpark Ohio sells used manufacturing machines. While they aren't always available they do have Eagle I/O machines available fairly often, sometimes with prices as low as 1000 dollars. Note, make sure to ask if the machine is Relay Controlled or PLC Controlled. If it's a PLC controlled machine give it a pass. Because quite often these machines have been powered down for years and have lost the programming for the PLC controller, a program that is unobtainable. If it's relay controlled it will always have a control system that is easily repairable, typically swapping in new ice cube relays is all that is needed. The most common failure point on these machines is the rubber spider in the motor couplings for the two hydraulic pumps, a bit of a PITA to replace but not nearly as difficult as replacing the radiator on the FiST. The next thing you'll need is a set of bead tools and those can be purchased brand spanking new for under 1000 dollars if it's a basic design. The company that currently owns the Eagle brand is AddEaton by Numalliance in Lebanon Ohio. BTW, PM me and I can design set of these tools for your specific bead and email PDF design drawings for these tools.
I didn't read all this to be honest
Over 1000 of these pipes have sold and never a single one returned for bead roll issues
Have you tried one of our hot side pipes?
The pics shown in the first post are from the very first group offered in 2018. Since early 2019 the bead rolls have actually been improved and we now offer it in 3 finish options
Thank you

Understand my viewpoint. Any of the major auto manufacturers would refuse to accept product with the current bead, what they want and expect is the bead seen on the Ford part. I am simplly pointing out that if Whoosh wants to match the quality of the OEM part there are machines and tools available that are designed specifically to do this and on the used market the machines are relatively inexpensive. I am also pointing out that the current bead offers near zero pulloff resistance and anyone using these tubes need to compensate for this by tightening the hose clamp as tight as they can.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
The part could definitely be better.
The OEM part is definitely built better. I'm not going to say it's a bad part, because I haven't compared it to the other aftermarket ones. I also have the first generation of this part.

I have my clamps on as tight as possible.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account
I frankly don't understand the need to be correct and make a point of this hot side pipe.
Our newer version has more pronounced bead rolls than the Mountune equivalent at $50+ less in cost. The early version has bead rolls exactly like the Mountune part.
We've tested our pipe at 29-30psi for months of dyno and track time on Wesley's whoosh hybrid Fiesta which never once blew off a hose connection

I have this pipe on mine and never once had an issue. The pipe feels like its heavier then the stock pipe and I definitely have not had one issue at all. What I see here is mostly people wanting to nitpick a part that doesn't need to be nitpicked. If you guys don't like what is offered buy the more expensive piece move on and keep your mouths closed. I went with this pipe per reviews and quality and definitely not upset i did. I have purchased a few parts off of whoosh and haven't had one complaint about his parts. I like the fact that they're quality parts at a budget friendly price.

I was under my car the other day and noticed one of my boost tubes was pretty squashed. Is this something that would restrict the airflow enough to make a difference, even on the stock turbo? Would a replacement be noticeably better?

PXL_20210306_173048914.jpg

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I was under my car the other day and noticed one of my boost tubes was pretty squashed. Is this something that would restrict the airflow enough to make a difference, even on the stock turbo? Would a replacement be noticeably better?

View attachment 42295
Absolutely * total bottle neck. Imagine trying to suck/push a golf all through that mess.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk