Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Time is a flat circle...is overheating still a problem?

OutOfDemo

Thinking about picking up one of the heavily discounted FISTs in the area. However, I had a 2015 that had the overheating issue before they identified it through the recall channels. Has anything improved since then, are is there still an underlying overheating issue? I see folks are installing aftermarket radiators, but that's not the fix I am looking for. Were there any changes made to the 2016 or 2017 that made things better?

Flaco

2000 Post Club
There was a design change in 2016 for the head. Never had a problem. I have a Mishimoto radiator, I prefer the larger capacity. The stock radiator is just to small, if your gonna do some canyon carving or track the car.

2017 saw some desirable changes--revised suspension, synch 3 (Apple Car Play and Android Auto), and I think (though I am not sure) maybe a revised rear motor mount. Also, no overheating issues or other recalls--at least not yet.

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
2017 saw some desirable changes--revised suspension, synch 3 (Apple Car Play and Android Auto), and I think (though I am not sure) maybe a revised rear motor mount. Also, no overheating issues or other recalls--at least not yet.
Yeah, I wonder about the RMM. My '17 doesn't seem to make that clunking noise other people were getting, but I don't really pound on it, either.

My '17 only makes the noise when I'm not getting on it. The lightest shift from 1-2 and an audible, knock is heard. Not a reassuring click, or an alarming bang, but certainly a peculiar knock. Driving hard and I never hear it. It's not the RMM.

I haven't had mine through a whole summer, but it has seen 100 degree Texas days in the hill country hooning around.

in the 2016+ they changed the head to fix the issue. You could always do the recall at the dealer even if you buy the 2015. I vote 2016+

KnockOff

1000 Post Club
I have a 15 and ford website says no recall. Maybe if you find a 15 run the vin to see if its 1 of the affected vehicles?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

OP
O

OutOfDemo

Thread Starter #8
Thanks for the responses guys. Good to here things might have been fixed. It was very frustrating to have brand new car with an overheating problem. Did they ever explain what they fixed in the heads?

There was a design change in 2016 for the head. Never had a problem. I have a Mishimoto radiator, I prefer the larger capacity. The stock radiator is just to small, if your gonna do some canyon carving or track the car.
I never heard anything regarding a cylinder head design tweek. First it was found that cooling fan relays were cooking themselves. The came a revision or change in the radiator. Due supposedly to flow issues. I never heard any discussion of head redesigns.

Flaco

2000 Post Club
I never heard anything regarding a cylinder head design tweek. First it was found that cooling fan relays were cooking themselves. The came a revision or change in the radiator. Due supposedly to flow issues. I never heard any discussion of head redesigns.
http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/...hanges-Improvements-to-FiST-Through-the-Years

Right there in the first post...."CYLINDER HEAD changed for '16, with new P/N (reported on the "what will be a future big-time issue" maintenance thread by a member whose head cracked-his car was reported to have a bigger turbo and maybe meth injection.) This fixed a fire risk which could come after the car overheated from a lack of coolant circulating. The overheating could lead to a cracked block and subsequent oil leak that could ignite. This led to a recall on some '14's and '15's. According to member Alkoran- Ford supposedly.. solved the issue from 2016 model by modifying the coolant passageways (new part # for the head) so there's no hotspot causing failure."

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
I guess it also depends on the car, so it is hard to say what will or will not go wrong.
I have an early '14 and I have never had any issues with overheating.
I have done my share of canyon carving and done a few track days and still no issues.
I was waiting for a door to fly open and smack a bicyclist but that also never happened.
Maybe I have just been lucky, the only problem I have had is the blend door thingy and that was fixed under warranty.

Dave

Dave

http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/...hanges-Improvements-to-FiST-Through-the-Years

Right there in the first post...."CYLINDER HEAD changed for '16, with new P/N (reported on the "what will be a future big-time issue" maintenance thread by a member whose head cracked-his car was reported to have a bigger turbo and maybe meth injection.) This fixed a fire risk which could come after the car overheated from a lack of coolant circulating. The overheating could lead to a cracked block and subsequent oil leak that could ignite. This led to a recall on some '14's and '15's. According to member Alkoran- Ford supposedly.. solved the issue from 2016 model by modifying the coolant passageways (new part # for the head) so there's no hotspot causing failure."
Ok. So i guess the overheating /going into limp mode issue i had with my 2016 must be an anomaly. It must have the improved design.

haste

1000 Post Club
I thought the whole overheating issue/head failure was due to low coolant levels and air bubbles inside the head superheating and causing problems. Isn't the recall for Ford to install a coolant level sensor in the expansion tank?