Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Need advice. First SCCA track day in Topeka, KS.

I only ran my MS6 at Heartland Park, it was great. When I've gone there were a lot of people who showed up and ran novice with me, however more than 50% only did two of the five 20 min sessions, by the end it was me and 2 other cars in novice. I would recommend getting in early ish and parking as closed to the lock gate as possible next to the ticket booth looking place where you'll meet up, that way you can park next to a bay for shade so in between runs you can pop your hood and let some air flow into the engine bay. Kind of obvious but take a basically tool kit and Jack with you, you could always take some extra pads with you. I also changed brake fluid before I've gone. I used a higher water percentage mix when I ran as well. Take a lawn chair and cooler too so you can chill between sessions. The place is great, ride with one of the "pros" before hand, listen to them, and use your first one or two sessions to learn the track. After all that sessions 3-5 push yourself and have a blast.

OP
TDavis

TDavis

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #22
Slow in, fast out, and turn off the ESC. Stock pads work fine as long as you're smooth and don't overdrive every corner. The engine will overheat before your brakes.

As long as you don't have the shitty stock pads that come with cars with all-season tires...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Yeah, the cars with the optional all season tires have a less aggressive pad.
Welp, looks like I'll be getting new pads then lol. Didn't know my pads where less aggressive coming with the A/S's.

Looking at the Ford catalog they have an option in the rear for "Comfort" and "Performance." Funny enough the "Performance" ones are cheaper.

I only ran my MS6 at Heartland Park, it was great. When I've gone there were a lot of people who showed up and ran novice with me, however more than 50% only did two of the five 20 min sessions, by the end it was me and 2 other cars in novice. I would recommend getting in early ish and parking as closed to the lock gate as possible next to the ticket booth looking place where you'll meet up, that way you can park next to a bay for shade so in between runs you can pop your hood and let some air flow into the engine bay. Kind of obvious but take a basically tool kit and Jack with you, you could always take some extra pads with you. I also changed brake fluid before I've gone. I used a higher water percentage mix when I ran as well. Take a lawn chair and cooler too so you can chill between sessions. The place is great, ride with one of the "pros" before hand, listen to them, and use your first one or two sessions to learn the track. After all that sessions 3-5 push yourself and have a blast.
Thats interesting that 50% didn't show for the next set of sessions. Was it car trouble?

I'm stoked, I can't wait. Especially since they got fresh pavement put on a few years ago.

Welp, looks like I'll be getting new pads then lol. Didn't know my pads where less aggressive coming with the A/S's.

Thats interesting that 50% didn't show for the next set of sessions. Was it car trouble?

I'm stoked, I can't wait. Especially since they got fresh pavement put on a few years ago.
No, most of the guys who showed each time I went were less enthusiasts and more middle aged guys with there "look what I finally got" cars. My first session was littered with gt500s and Z06 vettes. None of them really pushed themselves either. The more experienced classes saw less attrition.

OP
TDavis

TDavis

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #25
I didn't see the date you're going, which month will you be there?
It'll be April 20th next month. I believe the times are from 3pm-8pm.

What I plan on doing is what you said, since I always just take extra pads with me I'll do that. Bringing the top chest of my toolbox since its not too big, has everything I need to replace pads, and fits perfectly in the back hatch. Since I don't plan on tracking the car as many as most do I don't see the point in spending $180+ in pads just for one track day. What I WILL do is buy the "performance" oriented OEM pads since most people I've read around the forum say they performed fine until the end of the last session. I can get OEM pads cheap so its not a big deal if I burn through them. I'll also flush my brake system and put in some MotulRBF660 fluid in.

Can't do much about upgrading the rad and oil cooler at this moment so I'll watch those temps and take a cooling lap if I have to. Its at the end of April so it should probably be around 50~ degrees that day. Never know.

EDIT: The Mountune RS-R's are on sale so I might splurge on those but people have said the pad and feel is the same as factory which makes me not really care to get them but on the other end they claim to be able to handle higher temperatures. Might even go a small step further and get Mountunes front and rear pads WITH the SS lines since I plan on a BBK in the future.

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
Sounds like a good plan. Just remember, turn off ESC completely and slow is fast. Have fun!

OP
TDavis

TDavis

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #27
Sounds like a good plan. Just remember, turn off ESC completely and slow is fast. Have fun!

Yeah thats one thing I implanted into my brain is to turn the ESC completely off.