Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Fiesta ST Owner Quality & Ownership Survey

Fiesta ST Owner Quality & Ownership Survey

• Overall build quality met my expectations

Votes: 200 84.4%
  • Overall build quality did not meet my expectations

Votes: 27 11.4%
  • Exterior build quality met my expectations

Votes: 191 80.6%
  • Exterior build quality did not meet my expectations

Votes: 27 11.4%
  • Interior build quality met my expectations

Votes: 167 70.5%
  • Interior build quality did not meet my expectations

Votes: 54 22.8%
  • Vehicle comfort level met my expectations

Votes: 204 86.1%
  • Vehicle comfort level did not meet my expectations

Votes: 19 8.0%
  • Engine power and performance met my expectations

Votes: 215 90.7%
  • Engine power and performance did not meet my expectations

Votes: 9 3.8%
  • Vehicle handling met my expectations

Votes: 221 93.2%
  • Vehicle handling did not meet my expectations

Votes: 3 1.3%
  • Safety features met my expectations

Votes: 203 85.7%
  • Safety features did not meet my expectations

Votes: 12 5.1%
  • Technology features met my expectations

Votes: 181 76.4%
  • Technology features did not meet my expectations

Votes: 39 16.5%
  • Fuel economy met my expectations

Votes: 196 82.7%
  • Fuel economy did not meet my expectations

Votes: 24 10.1%
  • I experienced some defects and problems with my vehicle

Votes: 86 36.3%
  • I did not experienced any defects or problems with my vehicle

Votes: 125 52.7%
  • I felt my vehicle is a great value for the money

Votes: 205 86.5%
  • I did not feel my vehicle is a great value for the money

Votes: 11 4.6%
  • I would recommend a Fiesta ST to a friend

Votes: 215 90.7%
  • I would not recommend a Fiesta ST to a friend

Votes: 6 2.5%

• Total voters
I'm about 95% happy. The more I drive it day after day, the more I hate the folks that decided not to offer a back up camera. I've always found them frivolous before, but trying to twist around to see behind you in the Recaro seats is brutally awkward.

Otherwise, I love it.
What I have started doing is leaning forward while reversing and the small little mirrors help indicate how far you are...
I have them set so when something is leaving the line of sight, it's pretty close to the back tires

JasonHaven

The FiST is an absolute joy to drive, no complaints about the engine, drivetrain, suspension or anything (though I did opt for 16" lighter rims, and a different tire)

Coming from a Scion xA and a Civic DX, I think I have fairly realistic expectations when it comes to build quality... and the FiST absolutely does not meet said expectations. The materials are fine, for me, they are economy materials and that's to be expected. But the car rattles and creaks way too much 18 months into ownership. The driver's seat sounds like it's supported by rusty springs (neither the Civic or the XA EVER had that problem, even with a leaky 3rd party sunroof on the Civic). The Sunroof is a rattly mess. The dashboard fan clicks really loudly when on certain settings. The clutch clicks and sqeaks. Steering wheel lights go in and out.

I'll be taking it in post winter to have things fixed up along with post winter scratches and paint chips, hopefully this isn't a yearly service I'll be needing to do. It's a shame really, you'd think as technology gets better interior build quality would too, even on entry level cars.

But the car rattles and creaks way too much 18 months into ownership. The driver's seat sounds like it's supported by rusty springs (neither the Civic or the XA EVER had that problem, even with a leaky 3rd party sunroof on the Civic). The Sunroof is a rattly mess. The dashboard fan clicks really loudly when on certain settings. The clutch clicks and sqeaks. Steering wheel lights go in and out.
Well my First is only 4 months old, and I have no hint of any of that. Here's hoping it doesn't get too bad before my 36 mo lease runs out.
The only car I experienced that level of rattles was my Toyota Prius, after 5 years.

I bought my car used with 5200 miles from a dealer and there were no signs of mods or abuse. I love driving the car but so far, this has been by far the worst new car quality since my 1993 Ford Probe GT (which I bought new and yes, I am that old)(and since the Probe, I have had 6 new cars). So far in the 2 months I have owned it, the car left me stranded once (clutch slave cylinder), loud clicking behind the dashboard (replace HVAC part) and now the car overheated while driving between 25-40mph through some mountainous roads in San Diego.

I am hoping this is it but my hopes are not high

I bought my car used with 5200 miles from a dealer and there were no signs of mods or abuse. I love driving the car but so far, this has been by far the worst new car quality since my 1993 Ford Probe GT (which I bought new and yes, I am that old)(and since the Probe, I have had 6 new cars). So far in the 2 months I have owned it, the car left me stranded once (clutch slave cylinder), loud clicking behind the dashboard (replace HVAC part) and now the car overheated while driving between 25-40mph through some mountainous roads in San Diego.
Buying a used car with only 5200 miles on it, raises a red flag as to why the original owner traded it in?
Maybe it was a lemon, maybe he abused it and the dealer managed to cover the abuse up.

Hopefully your Ford Bumper to Bumper warranty is still in place, and these things aren't costing you anything.

I hope you got it cheap, New 2016 ST's were going for $19K after generous rebates late last year.

Mine is a complete piece. Bought it new, already had clutch replaced under warranty, first trans was bad, second is making the same noises, creaks, pops, rattles, and its power delivery is not consistent. By far, worst be car I've ever owned, and will absolutely be my last Ford.

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

Buying a used car with only 5200 miles on it, raises a red flag as to why the original owner traded it in?
Maybe it was a lemon, maybe he abused it and the dealer managed to cover the abuse up.

Hopefully your Ford Bumper to Bumper warranty is still in place, and these things aren't costing you anything.

I hope you got it cheap, New 2016 ST's were going for $19K after generous rebates late last year.
I got mine for $16000 so I figure a decent enough deal. If a car was officially taken back because of lemon law, I believe it would have a branded title...I have actually seen a few for sale on eBay. Also, no previous dealership service history before I bought it and, in regards to the problems I have had, I am finding out others have had them as well. Who figures a car designed today can't handle an easy mountain drive in 90 degree heat? From what I am reading, sounds like a poor design with an edge condition that the company was willing to take a chance on.

I got mine for $16000 so I figure a decent enough deal. If a car was officially taken back because of lemon law, I believe it would have a branded title...I have actually seen a few for sale on eBay. Also, no previous dealership service history before I bought it and, in regards to the problems I have had, I am finding out others have had them as well. Who figures a car designed today can't handle an easy mountain drive in 90 degree heat? From what I am reading, sounds like a poor design with an edge condition that the company was willing to take a chance on.
According to the poll attached to this thread the vast majority of people are satisfied

I'm not sure were you found a mountain drive with 90 degree heat in San Diego in the last 2 months, but wait until summer.
But yes others have complained about overheating. I'll see how well mine does this summer in Vegas 115 heat.
If it was a design issue it would happen to everyone, more likely a quality issue with the thermostat, water pump, or radiator?
(A Pruis I owned couldn't handle 115, big loss of power & warning lights, but it still ran.)

Anyone else that experience overheating, what work was done under warranty?

I knew of this cars reported issues, and I got mine on a 3 year lease which expires at the exact same time as the warranty.
But so far no problems.

Lemon laws vary by state, you might want to do a VIN search and see were it was originally titled.

Guessing you don't know San Diego too well. A good part of the county is desert and the last couple have been hot ones out there (look up Borrego Springs). Oh, and I did multiple VIN checks on my car before I bought it and had a dealership check service history.

I have owned and worked on many performance cars over the years (FWD, AWD and RWD) and thoroughly enjoy the ST, I just find that a car that has enough reports of overheating in certain specific conditions (conditions that would produce overheating in 1980's cars) most likely has a design and/or part defect. And any kind of design or part defect that can cause decent damage to the engine is not something minor. Obviously, most owners will never experience the combination of conditions...it took a random drive to the desert for it to happen to me.

I really hope it was a part problem that was corrected and you don't experience it.

According to the poll attached to this thread the vast majority of people are satisfied

I'm not sure were you found a mountain drive with 90 degree heat in San Diego in the last 2 months, but wait until summer.
But yes others have complained about overheating. I'll see how well mine does this summer in Vegas 115 heat.
If it was a design issue it would happen to everyone, more likely a quality issue with the thermostat, water pump, or radiator?
(A Pruis I owned couldn't handle 115, big loss of power & warning lights, but it still ran.)

Anyone else that experience overheating, what work was done under warranty?

I knew of this cars reported issues, and I got mine on a 3 year lease which expires at the exact same time as the warranty.
But so far no problems.

Lemon laws vary by state, you might want to do a VIN search and see were it was originally titled.

.... any kind of design or part defect that can cause decent damage to the engine is not something minor. Obviously, most owners will never experience the combination of conditions...it took a random drive to the desert for it to happen to me.
What did you do about it?
Did the dealer replace anything?

What did you do about it?
Did the dealer replace anything?
I have a dealer appointment on Friday and curious to see what they are going to do since the car is running fine now and it only happened in that one instance. Either way, I have a Mishimoto radiator and an oil cooler setup ready to go in since I was planning to have more fun with the car down the road. Just was crazy to overheat with a bone stock car in a situation that a modern car should handle without issue.

I have a dealer appointment on Friday and curious to see what they are going to do since the car is running fine now and it only happened in that one instance. Either way, I have a Mishimoto radiator and an oil cooler setup ready to go in since I was planning to have more fun with the car down the road. Just was crazy to overheat with a bone stock car in a situation that a modern car should handle without issue.
Would A bad fan motor cause a problem like this?
The car has an electric radiator fan which runs only when needed. If the fan was bad, isn't it possible that under many conditions the radiator alone would cool things sufficiently?
But your stress test would require more cooling?
Also what about air pockets in the coolant. could that be a cause?

The dealer should be able to pull codes from the computer to tell him a bit about the event.
But I would also ask him to check the fan.

Overall I would say that I am pretty pleased with the car. 2200 miles on it and I think the fuel mileage is about what I expected and it should improve a little bit more. My around town mileage is ok but I averaged almost 34mpg with only about 1200 miles on the car on a 300 mile trip even with sitting in crap traffic in the Inland Empire. The interior on the other hand...window button position does indeed suck, seat broke at 220 miles and my dealer (luckily not for long as I'm moving cross-country) still hasn't managed to get the part to fix it. The plastic things Ford put on the gauge cluster rattle quite a bit on anything other than a smooth road and I also wish there were radio controls on the dash in addition to the display, luckily have pretty long arms. Otherwise for something I bought brand new for 17 grand I'm pretty happy.

Truth in Ruin

1000 Post Club
Engine power and performance met my expectations: 89.89% say yes. Meanwhile people continue to mod for more power. Maybe owning a 1971 V8 Vega has turned me into a power snob, but half the time I'm WOT in the FiST- the power does NOT meet my expectations.

Engine power and performance met my expectations: 89.89% say yes. Meanwhile people continue to mod for more power. Maybe owning a 1971 V8 Vega has turned me into a power snob, but half the time I'm WOT in the FiST- the power does NOT meet my expectations.
Well it is only 180HP, you get 197 only for 20 seconds with WOT in 3rd gear and up.
I understand that you can take your foot off the accelerator for a second or 2, then floor it again, you will get another 20 seconds of boost.

Of course these number are with 93 octane fuel, which you cant buy in most western states
Though I can get 100 octane racing fuel for $8 a gallon, and it REALLY likes that

But my prior car was a V6 mustang auto, which had more raw power, but the Fiesta is way more fun

Truth in Ruin

1000 Post Club
Well it is only 180HP, you get 197 only for 20 seconds with WOT in 3rd gear and up.
I understand that you can take your foot off the accelerator for a second or 2, then floor it again, you will get another 20 seconds of boost.

Of course these number are with 93 octane fuel, which you cant buy in most western states
Though I can get 100 octane racing fuel for $8 a gallon, and it REALLY likes that

But my prior car was a V6 mustang auto, which had more raw power, but the Fiesta is way more fun
I too can get 100 octane from a pump. Are you stock? How many gallons of 100 does it take to make a measureable difference?

I too can get 100 octane from a pump. Are you stock? How many gallons of 100 does it take to make a measureable difference?
Yes my car is bone stock.
I put about 6 gallons of 100 into the tank with another 6 gallons of 91 so a blended octane of 95.5

I actually notice very little difference between 87 and 91, but bumping it up to 95.5 was very noticeable
I can't get 93 here, so I've never tried that.

Truth in Ruin

1000 Post Club
Yes my car is bone stock.
I put about 6 gallons of 100 into the tank with another 6 gallons of 91 so a blended octane of 95.5

I actually notice very little difference between 87 and 91, but bumping it up to 95.5 was very noticeable
I can't get 93 here, so I've never tried that.
Interesting. I filled up on 95 from the pump and noticed very little in power gain.