Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Fiesta ST Owner Quality & Ownership Survey

Fiesta ST Owner Quality & Ownership Survey

• Overall build quality met my expectations

Votes: 200 84.4%
  • Overall build quality did not meet my expectations

Votes: 27 11.4%
  • Exterior build quality met my expectations

Votes: 191 80.6%
  • Exterior build quality did not meet my expectations

Votes: 27 11.4%
  • Interior build quality met my expectations

Votes: 167 70.5%
  • Interior build quality did not meet my expectations

Votes: 54 22.8%
  • Vehicle comfort level met my expectations

Votes: 204 86.1%
  • Vehicle comfort level did not meet my expectations

Votes: 19 8.0%
  • Engine power and performance met my expectations

Votes: 215 90.7%
  • Engine power and performance did not meet my expectations

Votes: 9 3.8%
  • Vehicle handling met my expectations

Votes: 221 93.2%
  • Vehicle handling did not meet my expectations

Votes: 3 1.3%
  • Safety features met my expectations

Votes: 203 85.7%
  • Safety features did not meet my expectations

Votes: 12 5.1%
  • Technology features met my expectations

Votes: 181 76.4%
  • Technology features did not meet my expectations

Votes: 39 16.5%
  • Fuel economy met my expectations

Votes: 196 82.7%
  • Fuel economy did not meet my expectations

Votes: 24 10.1%
  • I experienced some defects and problems with my vehicle

Votes: 86 36.3%
  • I did not experienced any defects or problems with my vehicle

Votes: 125 52.7%
  • I felt my vehicle is a great value for the money

Votes: 205 86.5%
  • I did not feel my vehicle is a great value for the money

Votes: 11 4.6%
  • I would recommend a Fiesta ST to a friend

Votes: 215 90.7%
  • I would not recommend a Fiesta ST to a friend

Votes: 6 2.5%

• Total voters

jayrod1980

Mine is tuned and colder weather and some E85 to get to at least a 93 Octane mix makes a noticeable difference for me. WOT pulls from 20-80 MPH or a good lane change in 4th to pass on my way from Vegas to the inlaws in San Diego showed a peak of 27psi on the AccessPort. Above 65 degrees, my everyday highway burst to 8 MPH over the speed limit to work never peaks past 24psi. I don't floor it in 5th or 6th in lower RPMs.

Stock felt okay, but to get rid of throttle delay and really feel the power you need a tune and a bigger intercooler at the least. I used to think I needed an LSD (no new turbo yet), but these new 205/45 Indy 500's (Bridgestone RES03's) have really resolved the wheel spin I had with those crappy RE050 stock tires, even with their garbage 140 treadwear.

Regarding quality... I'm really lusting for the new one coming. I hate all the hard plastic, but I've been very nice to my 2016, despite already running it up to 26K miles since Nov '15. No rattles or loose trim, but I do notice that the passenger side Recaro soundlessly vibrates at speed when without a passenger. Seeing the headrest shaking annoys when I look over.

The tires wearing fast, along with the nail I took that necessitated new tires a few months early aren't really quality issues... but they should have used something better than the stock Bridgestone's RE050's. Given how expensive replacing those 140 treadwear summer tires are, the ST should have come with PSS's... 205/45's fit and have double the tread life AND better performance.

..... and now the car overheated while driving between 25-40mph through some mountainous roads in San Diego.
I have heard the above and other complaints about coolant performance. So now that its summer in Vegas, I decided to test mine. It was only 115 today, and I took it on a spirited drive for about 75 miles, mix of city and country roads. A/C was on auto (73) the whole time, and kept the cabin quite comfortable. Fuel was 91 Octane.

I have the Torque app running on my phone monitoring OBDII data through a blue-tooth dongle, so I could monitor exact temperatures.
While driving, coolant temp stayed between 185 and 195, but when stopped at a long light, it climbed to 201 degrees, but quickly dropped once I got going.

In summary I think the coolant capability is fine. My ST is Bone stock 2016 I did notice that the electric fan only covers a fraction of the radiator. Consequently this explains the higher temperatures when stopped and relying on the fan for cooling. The grill opening is very large, and I'm sure the radiator gets a lot more air though when driving.

I wonder if a long test in stop and go city traffic might be more of an acid test?

p.s. The gauge on the dash never moved from the exact center position

Last edited:

jayrod1980

Vegas here as well... I replaced the coolant fan fuse as a precaution (had black marks on it).

Anyway, after tuning my car it would definitely heat up in traffic. Water temps got close to 250F on the Accessport and the gauge was all the way to hot.

Once I flushed the coolant and installed an 80/20 mix of water to Dex and some water wetter it hasn't ever gone above 225F and cools off much faster. It's still enough coolant as well to handle anything cold that Vegas can produce... even up in Indian Springs.

I have heard the above and other complaints about coolant performance. So now that its summer in Vegas, I decided to test mine. It was only 115 today, and I took it on a spirited drive for about 75 miles, mix of city and country roads. A/C was on auto (73) the whole time, and kept the cabin quite comfortable. Fuel was 91 Octane.

I have the Torque app running on my phone monitoring OBDII data through a blue-tooth dongle, so I could monitor exact temperatures.
While driving, coolant temp stayed between 185 and 195, but when stopped at a long light, it climbed to 201 degrees, but quickly dropped once I got going.

In summary I think the coolant capability is fine. My ST is Bone stock 2016 I did notice that the electric fan only covers a fraction of the radiator. Consequently this explains the higher temperatures when stopped and relying on the fan for cooling. The grill opening is very large, and I'm sure the radiator gets a lot more air though when driving.

I wonder if a long test in stop and go city traffic might be more of an acid test?

p.s. The gauge on the dash never moved from the exact center position
I am glad that you had no issue and I hope you never do. I can only relay what I actually had happen and yes, it was under a very specific condition (high ambient temps, low speed, lots of boost). If you read the forums, you will see a few others who have had issues but most haven't. I now have a Mishimoto radiator and no issues even when tracking the car so can't say if it would have happened again or not.

I will say that I was at the track this past weekend and met a guy who brought out a 2014 with 50,000 miles he had just bought for his son. It was a low to mid 80 degree day and a track that is very fast but not particularly hard on cooling systems (Autoclub raceway). He got in about 3 laps per session before overheat issues would limp the car. Of course tracking a car is extreme but it also shows the weaknesses of a car very quickly...the FiST has a week cooling system...still love the car, just pointing it out in case others run into an issue.

Vegas here as well... I replaced the coolant fan fuse as a precaution (had black marks on it).

Anyway, after tuning my car it would definitely heat up in traffic. Water temps got close to 250F on the Accessport and the gauge was all the way to hot.

Once I flushed the coolant and installed an 80/20 mix of water to Dex and some water wetter it hasn't ever gone above 225F and cools off much faster. It's still enough coolant as well to handle anything cold that Vegas can produce... even up in Indian Springs.
Water wetter +1. I saw about a 20 degree difference in traffic in RI between high 80s and low 90s. Deffently a cheap way to improve cooling for anyone who is looking for somthing to that effect.

Also i havent had the recall fix done yet so that was a little extra peice of mind.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

XanRules

Just got my car back from the dealership last night, taking it back in this weekend to have the headliner replaced due to water damage. There was no rear sunroof seal installed from the factory, causing water to leak into the cabin whenever it rained.

Not off to a good start.

Iā€™m really surprised by the poll results.

Iā€™ve had my FiST for 1 year 9 months. 17500 miles and Iā€™m selling it in 2 months.

For a little hot hatch itā€™s a blast to drive. Iā€™ve had no complaints there. Iā€™ve had a few small issues with quality control in the 20months Iā€™ve owned it. The paint is very disappointing especially since my paint was considered an option and cost an additional $600. The body panels donā€™t match the plastic bumpers and apparently thereā€™s nothing that can be done about it.

My real issue is with Ford itself. The way the dealers have handled things is abysmal.

Luckily Iā€™ve been paying $1k a month into my payments so I donā€™t owe much now and can get rid of it. It was a mistake going away from German cars.

So if anyone wants a prestinely taken care of 2 year old, fully optioned, under 20k miles FiST with factory wheels and a set of 16ā€ wheels with Pirelli SottoZero winter performance tires, roof racks with bike rack(used once), factory carpet mats and factory rubber mats, 30% time on rear hatch window and 50% tint on rest of car, a transferable extended full Ford Care bumper to bumper, 100k 7 year(80k/5 years left) warranty with appearance insurance that even covers rim scrapes Iā€™ll be selling in a few months for a reasonable price.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Good luck the beemer.

After nearly 30k of ownership on a 2016 from new, here are my poll choices.

Overall build quality did not meet my expectations
*Dual Mass Flywheel make a very loud clack as they are loaded
*Misrouted vacuum hose showing abrasion damage with eventual failure
*Water Intrusion due to use of windshield with (hidden) chipped edges; requiring additional sealant
*Less creases and crevices for water & road salt to sit in with more rust protection
*Engine mounts are easy to max-out with high RPM acceleration

Exterior build quality met my expectations
*Unfortunately suffered a rock strike that created a starburst windshield crack soon after purchase. No Ford's fault but a windshield that is more resistant to this is preferred.

Interior build quality met my expectations (follow exceptions listed)
*Ventilation system is quite noisy, especially on hi setting
*Must fix the design flaw behind the failing blend door actuators. (extended testing under extremely cold conditions needed)

Vehicle comfort level met my expectations
*Standard seats are great.
*Passenger seat could use same lumbar support option as driver seat.

Engine power and performance met my expectations

Vehicle handling met my expectations
*Bounciness continues to subside as the suspension ages. (rarely an issue anymore except with single digit Fahrenheit temperatures)

Safety features met my expectations
*Some high speed wrecks have been posted to these forums and with excellent results in terms of driver safety.
*It would be illegal, but with seatbelt engaged, would like the option to turn off driver side airbag without pulling a fuse. (not interested in having any bomb go off in my glasses wearing face, whether a clean or dirty (Takata) one)

Technology features met my expectations

Fuel economy met my expectations

I experienced some defects and problems with my vehicle
*Reference "Overall" and "Interior" build quality notes above.

I would recommend a Fiesta ST to a friend

EDIT: The correction is in red.

Last edited:
First "American" car and my last. So many problems i cannot list them all. Ford dealerships also have no clue what they are doing and often do more damage by leaving off screws or stripping bolt heads. Fun car to drive but never again ford!!! Anyone thinking about buying this car should have their head examined. Buy an import you will be much happier

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
First "American" car and my last. So many problems i cannot list them all. Ford dealerships also have no clue what they are doing and often do more damage by leaving off screws or stripping bolt heads. Fun car to drive but never again ford!!! Anyone thinking about buying this car should have their head examined. Buy an import you will be much happier
Sorry for your bad experience, but just because you had a bad experience does not mean everybody feels that way. My friends Honda Civic SI has had more problems then my Ford Focus, and Fiesta ST. It's not really American either it was design over in Europe.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

PunkST

2000 Post Club
Constant issues with the emissions system. Idk. Probably the last ford product ill buy if im honest. Its nice but the constant mechanical issues and lack of support from dealerships has me looking to switch brands.