Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Gear Whine @65

Hey all. I took my car into the dealership the other day to have them look into some gear whine I'm getting at 65mph in drive (nothing in coast). I got a call from them today and they said their trans tech thinks is just "normal" gear whine you should have. They are getting second opinion and I said that if that guy said the same thing to find me another FiST on their lot and prove it is normal in this vehicle. But out of curiosity, do any of you have this gear whine at 65 or other speeds? Mines a higher pitched whine that is a constant tone at 65 and nowhere else.

No idea how many miles you have, and I have no experience with this in my FiST. But I had a similar whine in a previous car of mine and changing the transmission fluid fixed it.

OP
MichiganST
Thread Starter #3
No idea how many miles you have, and I have no experience with this in my FiST. But I had a similar whine in a previous car of mine and changing the transmission fluid fixed it.
I'm up to 56k. That could be the issue, I'm certainly no expert in transaxles. I just didn't like that they were trying to say it was normal and that I should expect it. It definitely wasn't there when I bought the car, I think it started up around summer (not sure what the mileage was at that time). Either way, I'm hoping they at least do something about it and not just say there's no issue...

Im at 60k on mine, and I don't have any whine from the trans.
I second the opinion of changing your trans fluid, though. It could only improve!

I've heard a faint whine on mine as well, but can only hear it with the radio turned off. With only a little over 5k on the clock, I'm gonna say it's normal unless it gets louder.

Mine has, unfortunately, gotten louder. It can now be heard with the radio on, even at above normal listening volume. I'm going to take it in to have them check again. I say again, because even though it wasn't that loud before, I had them check it out when I was in for other service. They said they couldn't hear anything. There's no way they won't be able to hear it now.

OP
MichiganST
Thread Starter #7
They ended up swapping my whole trans trying to get it to go away. Then drove a similar and heard it in that one. Was done under warranty, so I'm not too upset. A trans rebuild may not make it go away, but it reduces it and you get a fresh trans out of the deal. Hope they can get that done for you.v

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

They ended up swapping my whole trans trying to get it to go away. Then drove a similar and heard it in that one. Was done under warranty, so I'm not too upset. A trans rebuild may not make it go away, but it reduces it and you get a fresh trans out of the deal. Hope they can get that done for you.v

Glad to hear they replaced it, can't ever complain about a free new trans. Did they say anything about the RMM?

OP
MichiganST
Thread Starter #9
I installed the rmm after the trans was done. I'm sure they'd notice it while they're down there, but they'd need to be able to reasonably say that the rmm could cause a gear whine (generally I'd think not) to be able to deny a warranty claim for it. May not hurt to swap the oe part back on before going in though.

zanethan

This. Fluid change fixed my gear wine at 65. Put the entire 2L in and you'll be good to go.

They ended up swapping my whole trans trying to get it to go away. Then drove a similar and heard it in that one. Was done under warranty, so I'm not too upset. A trans rebuild may not make it go away, but it reduces it and you get a fresh trans out of the deal. Hope they can get that done for you.
Thanks man! Even if they don't, it will at least be documented twice in case something ever comes of it.

This. Fluid change fixed my gear wine at 65. Put the entire 2L in and you'll be good to go.
That's great to hear! I'd love to do this myself, but since I'm still under warranty, I may see if they'll do this for me as a start to see if it remedies the issue.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Glad to hear they replaced it, can't ever complain about a free new trans. Did they say anything about the RMM?
I had my BOOMBA RMM on mine when my trans had a very nice howl in 4th really bad and a little in 5th and 6th..... it was replaced... They didn't say nothing...just replaced the trans and sent it out the door. The noise you may be hearing could be the alternator as I do believe they have a over running clutch. I still have a noise in gear around 60....the same as you are describing...I also run the Ravenol MTF-2 fluid and that made it shift less clunky and more smoother. It also is Meets Fords spec and so does the Motul 300 I do believe now also.[rockon]

Can I ask you some questions about your service experience. Im having the same issue and its gotten loud but they wont do anything

zanethan

Can I ask you some questions about your service experience. Im having the same issue and its gotten loud but they wont do anything
Mine went away after changing the transmission fluid to Motul Gear 300. Make sure you use all 2 quarts.