Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

The Fiesta is dead

neeqness

1000 Post Club
I think the FiST would have done a lot better if two main factors had been different with Ford...

1. If Ford had worked harder on it's quality control with it's compact and sub compact cars to build a reputation comparable to the Japanese makers.

I have so many friends and fellow car enthusiasts who bought civic sports, mazda, toyota or insert other reliable japanese sporty compact cars (note not SUV or CUV) simply because they don't trust Ford quality and/or because of the issues that they heard about with Ford in this genre.

As much as I like my FiST now, it was a near miracle I bought this car at all. Being a big Japanese car fan (primarily Nissan) and not so trusting of Ford quality myself initially, I would not have bought my FiST if I hadn't already thought every other compact hatch out there in my price range at the time was too ugly to drive...except the Mazda hatch - which I was originally pretty set on buying and did not buy it only because the car I test drove just didn't "feel right" to me. It felt like a low quality, cheap product that would fall apart at any moment...however, in hind sight I must have gotten a rare "lemon" to test drive because I have other friends who absolutely love their Mazdas. With that test drive being my first impression though, I couldn't bring myself to try anything else and gave the salesman some weak excuse that I knew they would accept and promptly walked off the lot to check out the Fiesta.

Test driving the ST did the exact opposite though and I'm so glad it was already on sale and they were eager to sell them or I might have paid a bit more for it!

2. If Ford had marketed it as it's own model and not just a trim of the Fiesta (like a 240SX or Honda CRX even).

Reason being...everyone, except for a rare few (and most of those few only know because of the good reviews out there and races won) considers this to be nothing more than a typical Fiesta with maybe a couple more bells and whistles. Yet we know it is so much more than that.

Having driven the base Fiesta as well as the ST I can attest to the fact that they feel like two different cars even though the chassis is basically the same.

I know that we are all accustomed and used to seeing this car being what it is, but imagine if this car were marketed differently having it's own look but with the same function and if Fords reputation weren't so bad compared to the Japanese in this genre, I think this car would have been much more successful. No not an SUV killer at all, lol, afterall it would still be somewhat a niche but if it were otherwise the same car with all the same accolades and didnt have the stigma that the Fiesta has now, it would have been more successful within it's own niche for sure.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

neeqness

1000 Post Club
I may be lucky and not need another car for some time.
We have 3 now and my '14 FiST is the oldest.
If I do need another car I may just have to back to a Mini as I had before My 2 Fiestas.
Or I probably could get an American made car, like a Toyota or Honda.

Dave
How would you compare the Mini to the FiST?

neeqness

1000 Post Club
In the states, it's common to refer to manual shift vehicles as having a security system...
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...F2C643584459284F2842F2C643584459&&FORM=VRDGAR
I don't think that was in the states. The steering was on the wrong side.

But I get your point. I sometimes feel that way too about it. Most people around here (except SOME car enthusiasts) don't know how to drive stick and most of those who do know (usually 50+) would rather not.

Seeing how many are saying that the automatic is now potentially faster than driving stick, some car enthusiasts are transitioning to automatics for that reason alone.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
No not an SUV killer at all, lol, after all it would still be somewhat a niche but if it were otherwise the same car with all the same accolades and didn't have the stigma that the Fiesta has now, it would have been more successful within it's own niche for sure.
The only actual, real "stigma" or very negative sore point of the regular/base Fiestas was/is the damned DCT transaxle, from what I've seen/heard.

I was not even in the market, nor actively looking for a new car before February of 2016, but I did hear some of the 'buzz' about the FiST regardless.

IF this car (OR the 1.0T manual, or even the 1.6 manual Fiesta) did not exist when I HAD TO buy a new to me car (I had NO CHOICE in the matter at that point), I would NOT have even considered any of the Nippon or Korean choices whatsoever (regardless of where they were/are screwed together!), and would have ended up in either a new Sonic RS, or a used Cobalt SS turbo, or even a '03-'04 C5 Z06, despite having to take a BIG hit on the used car interest rates (so I am OVERJOYED that it DID exist, new, with 0 down and 0% interest for 72 months no less!!). [wink] [driving]

neeqness

1000 Post Club
The only actual, real "stigma" or very negative sore point of the regular/base Fiestas was/is the damned DCT transaxle, from what I've seen/heard.

I was not even in the market, nor actively looking for a new car before February of 2016, but I did hear some of the 'buzz' about the FiST regardless.

IF this car (OR the 1.0T manual, or even the 1.6 manual Fiesta) did not exist when I HAD TO buy a new to me car (I had NO CHOICE in the matter at that point), I would NOT have even considered any of the Nippon or Korean choices whatsoever (regardless of where they were/are screwed together!), and would have ended up in either a new Sonic RS, or a used Cobalt SS turbo, or even a '03-'04 C5 Z06, despite having to take a BIG hit on the used car interest rates (so I am OVERJOYED that it DID exist, new, with 0 down and 0% interest for 72 months no less!!). [wink] [driving]
Stigma comes from their reputation over the years but even if the transaxle were the only issue, it is a huge issue...especially compared to the Japanese cars which have a much more reliable reputation. This is going back 20+ years.

I agree with what someone else said in an earlier post that Ford tends to have a good car making good sales then run it in the ground until it dies. The 80s Taurus was a #1 seller, but then Ford cheaped out and that's what allowed the Japanese to get their foot in the door. My brother had bought his first Ford in the early 2000s and had nothing but trouble with it until he finally gave up on it, sold (donated?) it to the junk yard, vowed never to buy another Ford again and went out to get an accord. He's been an avid Honda fan ever since buying only Hondas to this day.

I can go on with stories like this. You may prefer Ford to Japanese cars and that's perfectly fine but the numbers seem to show that the majority of people out there (in the states) wouldn't and I believe it's due in some great part to Ford's relatively poor reputation (or bad stigma) with regards to the reliability of their compacts and subcompacts in general.

The one thing I think Ford could have done to better market the car would be to advertise the Octane Academy with the car...."Not only will we sell you a hot hatch, we'll teach you how to drive it."

Also, they never really parlayed the popularity of the car from the rave reviews it received. I didn't know the ST existed until I was on youtube watching E46 M3 videos when I was a heartbeat away from buying one, only to find Matt Farah's comparison video between it and a FiST, and after that all it took was a test drive for me to pick up a FiST.

Quisp

1000 Post Club

My 93 Sentra SER jumped out of 5th gear. My 05 Spec V regurgitated its converter and needed a new head. They would also ingest secondary butterflies screws. Nothing man made is infallible.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Stigma comes from their reputation over the years but even if the transaxle were the only issue, it is a huge issue...especially compared to the Japanese cars which have a much more reliable reputation. This is going back 20+ years.

I agree with what someone else said in an earlier post that Ford tends to have a good car making good sales then run it in the ground until it dies. The 80s Taurus was a #1 seller, but then Ford cheaped out and that's what allowed the Japanese to get their foot in the door. My brother had bought his first Ford in the early 2000s and had nothing but trouble with it until he finally gave up on it, sold (donated?) it to the junk yard, vowed never to buy another Ford again and went out to get an accord. He's been an avid Honda fan ever since buying only Hondas to this day.

I can go on with stories like this. You may prefer Ford to Japanese cars and that's perfectly fine but the numbers seem to show that the majority of people out there (in the states) wouldn't and I believe it's due in some great part to Ford's relatively poor reputation (or bad stigma) with regards to the reliability of their compacts and subcompacts in general.

Ford did get a clue as early as the 80’s GM? Well that was one failure after another. Lol till around 8-10 years ago. I have always owned Japanese cars ever since High School, yes Datsun/Nissan. My Focus is the first American car I hace owned since my Mustangs in high school and right after high before amd during owing my Datsuns. My FiST will be the second.

There is a stigma that Detriot is 100% responsible for that goes right back to the mid 70’s . When my father went to Detriot and met with the heads of Ford and GM and was told they know what Americans want. Thing is they did’nt and the Japanses wiped the floor with them. Lol

No bias against Japanese car manufacturers they built great cars still do. Did they practice unfair trade practices ya. Did we allow them too? yup! Are we responsible for that? Ya we played a part. Do i believe in Tariffs? Fuck no trade wars do not work. Should we have negoiated and really did not? Yes.

Ford did fuck up in handling the whole DCT trans thing. Funny thing is Mazda uses the same trans in the 3 but got the software programming right. Driven a 2015 3 for a month or so. Interior was good. Infotainment system was pretty damn good from the ergonomic control perspective. The Sedan versionis nice looking. I think the hatchback looks funny compared to its once removed sister the Focus Hatchback.

Underneath they are damn near the same cars except Mazda didmake some suspension tweaks that give the 3 he edge over the Focus in the handling department. I said edge meaing slightly better.
I still have a Focus because its a better bargain. Mazda’s tend to be overpriced used just like Toyota’s and Honda’s.

So ya Ford suffered big time for the DCT issues and how bad the initial sync system did suck. But like I said earlier the screw up with the Fiesta was interior size compared to the Honda Fit and absouletly no adverstising whatsover for the car.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
The one thing I think Ford could have done to better market the car would be to advertise the Octane Academy with the car...."Not only will we sell you a hot hatch, we'll teach you how to drive it."

Also, they never really parlayed the popularity of the car from the rave reviews it received. I didn't know the ST existed until I was on youtube watching E46 M3 videos when I was a heartbeat away from buying one, only to find Matt Farah's comparison video between it and a FiST, and after that all it took was a test drive for me to pick up a FiST.
The Bimmerphile sycophants' reaction to that video in the comments below it would have been enough for me to avoid the Bayerische cars FOR LIFE.
NO EFFING WAY would I ever want to be part of that elistest snootfest!! [nono] [mad]

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
My 93 Sentra SER jumped out of 5th gear. My 05 Spec V regurgitated its converter and needed a new head. They would also ingest secondary butterflies screws. Nothing man made is infallible.
YES, THANK YOU!! [twothumb]

Now, please explain that to neeqness above, and all of those other JDM worshiping Nipponphiles in this land. ;)

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
No bias against Japanese car manufacturers they built great cars still do. Did they practice unfair trade practices ya. Did we allow them too? yup! Are we responsible for that? Ya we played a part. Do I believe in Tariffs? Fuck no trade wars do not work. Should we have negotiated and really did not? Yes.
THIS^^^ is what all of the domestic haterz seem to very conveniently forget/overlook all of the time.
Did the Big 3 (with their lack of insight/blindness/abject greed), and the MUCH LOATHED, 'pariah' unions play a major role, ABSOEFFINGLUTELY!
But the Nippon Giant and pals were NOT the innocent 'models of perfection' they are always painted to be EITHER.

Just like they DID NOT, NO EFFING WAY open their many 'transplants' HERE for OUR employment benefits, nor out of a love for OUR workers/people, or "the kindness of their hearts" like is so often portrayed.
IF it would not have fattened THEIR wallets, and made THEIR shareholders and CEOs/etc. MUCH wealthier, there is NO WAY they would have even thought about building these plants here.[nono]

They also got the ALL of the PR benefits/praise, with the masses starting to really believe that their cars were pure 'American' products despite the nameplate on the hoods, along with reduced shipping rates, NO tariffs whatsoever, and even ZERO tax rates, and/or even PAYMENTS to themselves from the states where they built their factories.

THIS^^^ is what all of the domestic haterz seem to very conveniently forget/overlook all of the time.
Did the Big 3 (with their lack of insight/blindness/abject greed), and the MUCH LOATHED, 'pariah' unions play a major role, ABSOEFFINGLUTELY!
But the Nippon Giant and pals were NOT the innocent 'models of perfection' they are always painted to be EITHER.

Just like they DID NOT, NO EFFING WAY open their many 'transplants' HERE for OUR employment benefits, nor out of a love for OUR workers/people, or "the kindness of their hearts" like is so often portrayed.
IF it would not have fattened THEIR wallets, and made THEIR shareholders and CEOs/etc. MUCH wealthier, there is NO WAY they would have even thought about building these plants here.[nono]

They also got the ALL of the PR benefits/praise, with the masses starting to really believe that their cars were pure 'American' products despite the nameplate on the hoods, along with reduced shipping rates, NO tariffs whatsoever, and even ZERO tax rates, and/or even PAYMENTS to themselves from the states where they built their factories.
The manufacturers that built assembly plants in the states got tax breaks. So do Domestic manufacturers. But you need to keep in mind that there is a tremendous downstream economic effect that occurs when other jobs and businesses are created to service all that activity.
The Honda Accord body and interior is an American designed, engineered, sourced and manufactured product. American Honda' is a separate entity from Honda motors Japan. They have their own budgets for R&D, marketing, operations and all the rest.
Some components and engineering come from Japan. Some whole products like Civic type R are developed outside the U.S. Just as the Acura NSX is done in the States and sold globally.
The origin is less important now than wether its a piece of shit after we sign the loan agreements. The german built Focus RS is a good example of an exception to german exacting engineering.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
I would go back to a Mini in a heart beat.
What made me change in the first place was the price.

Dave
Mini’s drive great. End of story. They are IMO typical BMW ( who makes them) matinence and repair nightmares. would not touch one with a ten foot poll ownership wise.
Lol seen them in my friends shops regualarly too often.

Generally speaking (not directed at you Dave)....

I can hold this bias against BMW’s . I have only owned two E36 M3’s for the last 5 years. Lol they fucking drive great are a blast (FiST is still more fun).
I put a Mini in the same boat as an Audi, BMW, Mercedes to a slighly lesser extent(slightly mind you) great cars to buy new and own under warranty. When warranty is up? Sell them immediately. They are all expensive to maintain and repair. Will they last if properly maintained yes but at a cost.
If your wealthy and don’t mind spending go ahead. If your cost concious just don’t . Lol

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
The manufacturers that built assembly plants in the states got tax breaks. So do Domestic manufacturers. But you need to keep in mind that there is a tremendous downstream economic effect that occurs when other jobs and businesses are created to service all that activity.
The Honda Accord body and interior is an American designed, engineered, sourced and manufactured product. American Honda' is a separate entity from Honda motors Japan. They have their own budgets for R&D, marketing, operations and all the rest.
Some components and engineering come from Japan. Some whole products like Civic type R are developed outside the U.S. Just as the Acura NSX is done in the States and sold globally.
The origin is less important now than wether its a piece of shit after we sign the loan agreements. The german built Focus RS is a good example of an exception to german exacting engineering.
Exactly I don't care what the car company is if they bring jobs here that's all that matters. I don't care about tax breaks and, blah blah blah I care about one thing American jobs. If Honda, Nissan, BMW and Toyota decide to create more American jobs then domestic companies then they are more American to me regardless of where the headquarters is. I'll keep my Fiesta ST till it is dead, and yes I know it was made in Mexico.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Mini’s drive great. End of story. They are IMO typical BMW ( who makes them) matinence and repair nightmares. would not touch one with a ten foot poll ownership wise.
Lol seen them in my friends shops regualarly too often.

Generally speaking (not directed at you Dave)....

I can hold this bias against BMW’s . I have only owned two E36 M3’s for the last 5 years. Lol they fucking drive great are a blast (FiST is still more fun).
I put a Mini in the same boat as an Audi, BMW, Mercedes to a slighly lesser extent(slightly mind you) great cars to buy new and own under warranty. When warranty is up? Sell them immediately. They are all expensive to maintain and repair. Will they last if properly maintained yes but at a cost.
If your wealthy and don’t mind spending go ahead. If your cost concious just don’t . Lol

Fortunately I had an eleven foot pole.

Dave