Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

The 2017 White Platinum Super Modest "JDM" Clean Build

Well,

Haven’t even taken delivery of my brand new 2017 White Platinum Fiesta ST yet, so don’t even have pictures of it, but have already ordered my planned super modest daily commuter build items...

RED - Planned, but not started
ORANGE - Ordered or in hand, but not installed
GREEN - Done
  • COBB Access Port V.3
  • 91 octane STratified Flash Tune w/valet, eco, anti-theft slots + STratified TC
  • Mountune Lowering Springs
  • Maxton Front Splitter (v.3 - CF wrapped)
  • Maxton rear spoiler extension (CF wrapped)
  • Boomba Complete Short Shift Kit (sans the bushings)
  • Ford ST Carbon Fiber Shift Knob
  • ST Seat belt pads
  • Stock rims powder coated or plasti-dipped white metallic
  • Yellow tinted fog lights
  • Red Rebel Alliance Fiesta debadge
  • 15% tint b pillar back, 25% front windows
  • ”TheStubby” Shorty antenna
  • Carbon Fiber license plate frames
I will fill this thread with pictures and impressions as we go, promise!

Little background - always been a Japanese import guy, specifically Honda, until having lived in Europe (Sweden) for the past 10 years. Now Honda isn’t making anything really tiny that’s fun anymore, and Ford is...kind of a role reversal!!

So I grew up drooling over this:

And now I want to recreate that with a better, more fun, and more practical NEW car :)

I may also end up doing a pro tune or even a Mountune MP215 kit in the future, but plan on feeling this out first before I start doing that stuff on the engine and power side. The short throw shifter kit and lowering springs should put a big enough smile on my face for the time being!

Looking forward to being a small part of this community!

Last edited:
OP
MyopicPaideia
Thread Starter #2
First Impressions and pics from delivery!!

Ok -just took delivery of my car today from Perry Ford in Poway, CA.

FIRST IMPRESSIONS
HOLY CRAP! This car is absolutely amazing - Even having test driven 3 examples of this car before, it felt like the very first time! Anywhere about 3k RPM is pure ear to ear stupid grin! A speeding ticket is absolutely INEVITABLE in this car, unfortunately...on an on ramp, you're going 90mph before you even have chance to look down at the speedometer! It absolutely begs you to drive it, and it feels fast at any speed when you are in that turbo torque band between 3-5k RPM's. You simply can't stop doing it!

I'd never had the chance to actually drive or sit in the Recaro package, so actually took a chance on it, only sitting in the Focus RS and ST to feel how those seats felt. I can safely say that the Recaro package on this car is almost an absolute requirement. It completely transforms the entire character of the interior from an unimpressive econobox type of environment to a very upscale and racy feeling interior. And those seats!! They are 1000% more comfortable than those in the RS and and ST Focus, which were super a super tight fit. I barely fit in those at all (6' tall and 185lbs), but these fit me like a glove and they haven't even been broken in yet! Best decision I made with this car besides actually going ahead and pulling the trigger on it!

Here come the pics from the delivery bay at Perry Ford - want to whole heartedly endorse and refer anyone in SD looking to buy a Ford to hit up Louis Hardwood at Perry Ford - he was absolutely great.

Last edited:
OP
MyopicPaideia
Thread Starter #3
First mods in [:p]

Original Shift Knob

Ford ST Shift Knob

ST Performance Seat Belt Pads for the front seats

Another set for the back + the mini Recaro boosters for my two kids [;)]

Carbon Fiber license plate frames:

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account
welcome

if you want some unique parts, not JDM but european for our FiST, stop by our site. We stock them here in the US and ship right our of Vegas

OP
MyopicPaideia
Thread Starter #9
Spoiler Extender from Max Designs. Gets a CF wrap and goes on the car on Wednesday. Fitment with it just resting on the rear spoiler looks really good, doesn’t seem to be any issues there.

OP
MyopicPaideia
Thread Starter #10
Same goes for the front splitter. Gets the CF wrap and installation on Wednesday.

Went with the V. 3 Max Designs piece. Wasn’t much in it for me between the 3 “non-race” versions they had. Pretty flexible piece, actually. I thought it was going to be way more rigid. Will be interesting to see it actually on the car...

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I REALLY like the black wheels on the white car look, even though I know you want that monochromatic JDM YO look.

IF you can swing it, I would just leave the factory wheels alone, and get a set of white aftermarket wheels in a wider width, with the perfect offset. ;)

OP
MyopicPaideia
Thread Starter #14
I REALLY like the black wheels on the white car look, even though I know you want that monochromatic JDM YO look.

IF you can swing it, I would just leave the factory wheels alone, and get a set of white aftermarket wheels in a wider width, with the perfect offset. ;)
Yeah, it is a very subjective thing! Sometimes I like the Black Wheels too...

Not really opposed to getting a new set of wheels, but I do want to maintain that "slightly-enhanced-over-stock" clean sleeper look. Maybe a good light set of 16x8 or 17x8 Rotas or something...what, in your opinion, is the perfect offset? The not negotiable variable is that I absolutely don't want rubbing with my mountune springs on the car, which go on a week from tomorrow...

Last edited:
OP
MyopicPaideia
Thread Starter #15
So, day 12 of ownership, and the following is now complete!

Carbon fiber wrapped Max Designs front splitter, version 3:

Carbon fiber wrapped Max Designs rear spoiler extension:

Rebel Alliance Fiesta Debadge:

Yellow Tinted Fog Lights:

I gotta say, I am pretty stoked at the moment. The final product after installation has exceeded my expectations. The pictures don’t do it justice, probably because I suck at taking quality photos with an iPhone (or any camera of any kind for that matter).

Everything looks great, better than I imagined! Gotta say, this is the first time I have ever dealt with them, but the guys at SD Wraps are proper car enthusiasts - they treat you well and with respect, do absolute quality work, and not only that, but charged a fair price. I went to 3 other custom wrapping shops first, and definitely glad I went with these guys, They had everything under the sun in their garage, Ferrari’s, Ford GT’s, Porsche GT3’s, AMG 550’s, Corvette’s, M3’s and 4’s, etc, and there is my Fiesta ST right in amongst them all, getting some very special attention.

Great experience, Ramin is a great guy, we talked shop for a long time, real down to earth and friendly, all his techs were great too, can’t say enough. Definitely will be going back there to do the white powder coating of the wheels later! Whole heartedly recommend them to any of you S.D. guys out there!

But first - next week the car goes in to JBA Speed Shop for installation of the Boomba short shifter kit (bracket and stick combo) and the mountune springs! Hopefully that experience will be just as positive!

Here are some more pictures of it as it sits now:

jeff

2000 Post Club
Great job.

I love this thread because it is obvious that you are happy with your car and truly enjoy driving and modding it. Looks great!

Since you're spending the amount of money you are on this and that, I highly recommend dropping another $300-$400 for a used or new Accessport or Mountune device, just the stage 1 tune will really improve the car, it won't be much faster but it will feel faster and all the joy you described in post #2 will have an exponent added to it.

OP
MyopicPaideia
Thread Starter #17
Great job.

I love this thread because it is obvious that you are happy with your car and truly enjoy driving and modding it. Looks great!

Since you're spending the amount of money you are on this and that, I highly recommend dropping another $300-$400 for a used or new Accessport or Mountune device, just the stage 1 tune will really improve the car, it won't be much faster but it will feel faster and all the joy you described in post #2 will have an exponent added to it.
Thanks, man, high praise from you! All your Youtube videos of your Fiesta ST really inspired me as I was in search of the exact car I wanted - Much appreciated!

You know, you have a great point there. I have been reading up on the Stratified stock tune, and have been thinking of trying to find a used Cobb AP ahead of doing the wheels. Everything I’ve read gives it massive praise for increased torque bandwidth and driveability.

I’m not looking for massive power, but some more torque lower in the rev range that remains consistent would make this car even more properly amazing to drive! [driving]

Also hoping that the Boomba kit will alleviate the ONE thing that is a niggling irritation for me. 3rd gear seems to be in the “wrong” spot for me, I tend to sometimes have to have a second go at it because it feels like you have to reach too far out to the right. The Boomba shifter says it is 15° more tilted towards the driver. Fingers crossed!

jeff

2000 Post Club
Thanks, man, high praise from you! All your Youtube videos of your Fiesta ST really inspired me as I was in search of the exact car I wanted - Much appreciated!

You know, you have a great point there. I have been reading up on the Stratified stock tune, and have been thinking of trying to find a used Cobb AP ahead of doing the wheels. Everything I’ve read gives it massive praise for increased torque bandwidth and driveability.

I’m not looking for massive power, but some more torque lower in the rev range that remains consistent would make this car even more properly amazing to drive! [driving]

Also hoping that the Boomba kit will alleviate the ONE thing that is a niggling irritation for me. 3rd gear seems to be in the “wrong” spot for me, I tend to sometimes have to have a second go at it because it feels like you have to reach too far out to the right. The Boomba shifter says it is 15° more tilted towards the driver. Fingers crossed!
Yeah take a look on the forums, there are used AP units for sale all the time, sometimes equipped with STratified tunes. You can't go wrong.

If you go stratified I recommend getting their traction control added to your tune, it's only like $10 extra. Any tune you get from them or Cobb or Dizzy or whoever has tons of useless torque applied in 1st and 2nd gear. It's fun for a minute but then you start realizing that you're blowing your tires off for nothing. The TC addition (as default so you don't have to switch it on every time you start the car) really makes the new power useful.

Or just control with your right foot.

In either case both are great options. The Cobb tunes feel more aggressive. The Strat tunes feel more smooth, much moreso. When I had stock turbo I kept both (plus others, I had about 7 total) on my AP and swapped out occasionally when I felt like it.

Glad the videos helped!

So, day 12 of ownership, and the following is now complete!

Carbon fiber wrapped Max Designs front splitter, version 3:

I gotta say, I am pretty stoked at the moment. The final product after installation has exceeded my expectations. The pictures don’t do it justice, probably because I suck at taking quality photos with an iPhone (or any camera of any kind for that matter).

Everything looks great, better than I imagined! Gotta say, this is the first time I have ever dealt with them, but the guys at SD Wraps are proper car enthusiasts - they treat you well and with respect, do absolute quality work, and not only that, but charged a fair price. I went to 3 other custom wrapping shops first, and definitely glad I went with these guys, They had everything under the sun in their garage, Ferrari’s, Ford GT’s, Porsche GT3’s, AMG 550’s, Corvette’s, M3’s and 4’s, etc, and there is my Fiesta ST right in amongst them all, getting some very special attention.

Great experience, Ramin is a great guy, we talked shop for a long time, real down to earth and friendly, all his techs were great too, can’t say enough. Definitely will be going back there to do the white powder coating of the wheels later! Whole heartedly recommend them to any of you S.D. guys out there!

But first - next week the car goes in to JBA Speed Shop for installation of the Boomba short shifter kit (bracket and stick combo) and the mountune springs! Hopefully that experience will be just as positive!
Looks great so far! 2 things: Do you have a build thread started? I love all the work you're doing on your car so it would be great to follow it all in one place. Second thing, do those little badges come off the lip and spoiler extension? Might be a touch more stealthy without them.

OP
MyopicPaideia
Thread Starter #20
Yeah take a look on the forums, there are used AP units for sale all the time, sometimes equipped with STratified tunes. You can't go wrong.

If you go stratified I recommend getting their traction control added to your tune, it's only like $10 extra. Any tune you get from them or Cobb or Dizzy or whoever has tons of useless torque applied in 1st and 2nd gear. It's fun for a minute but then you start realizing that you're blowing your tires off for nothing. The TC addition (as default so you don't have to switch it on every time you start the car) really makes the new power useful.

Or just control with your right foot.

In either case both are great options. The Cobb tunes feel more aggressive. The Strat tunes feel more smooth, much moreso. When I had stock turbo I kept both (plus others, I had about 7 total) on my AP and swapped out occasionally when I felt like it.

Glad the videos helped!
Thanks for the advice! Is the traction control option essentially a launch control, or is it something that is always activated in addition to the stock ESC (or does it replace that?)