Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Unique Cloth Sport Seats Vs Recaro's

I am still at a point where I can change my factory order If I want to add a package. I have a Magnetic ST with Black Wheels and cloth Seats. After coming across some you tube videos with the magnetic with smoke grey recaros I am reconsidering my objection to paying $2k for them. My only issue is I can sit in them to compare since i'm deployed overseas. For comparison My last car was a chevy sonic ltz and those seats hurt after 2 hours of driving. So my question is How much more comfortable are the recaros over the cloth. Only concerned with comfort as I really wont be tracking it but may do some long drives. Wife has a Yaris and I think the stock seats in there are great. I am 5'8 210lbs with a 38" waist

I can't comment directly on the base seats of the FiST since in Canada we only have Recaros, but I believe they are the same as the seats on the regular Fiesta and I had one before the FiST.

I personally think that the Recaros are the way to go anyway. They are tight and really hold you into place when cornering. They are kind of a bitch to get in or out of the car because of the high bolster, but I think it's a small price to pay. I never felt them uncomfortable. I think they are hard enough to feel the car really well and just soft enough that you can get comfortable.

The base seats are not bad at all, one of the best seat in any subcompact right now. They are not completely flat, they have a bit of bolster to them and are not too soft. They were easily my favorite seats ever before the Recaros, but I was coming from a 2005 Saturn Ion, so anything was an upgrade really.

I have a 34 waist and it feels perfect for me. My girlfriend is a bit larger and has never complained (and I did asked her how she liked the seats).

I came from an economy Mazda 6. It had very basic seats. I bought my Fiesta used from the dealer and it didn't have Recaro's. I really like the stock seats. They have a knob for lumbar support so it actually makes me pretty comfy.

I also sat in my friends car with Recaro's, and those were super comfy as well. I'd say they were obviously more comfy since they're $2k. I don't regret not getting Recaro's though because I frankly, am on a budget! I didn't see the extra $2k as a necessity to have fun with the car. I've driven the car on 4 hour road trips with no complaints of the stock seats. If I tracked the car or autocrossed it, then maybe. I haven't done those before, but since Rec's are sport seats, I'll assume they're better for that.

But, there is a break in period with Recaro's, so I definitely didn't sit in them with their max comfort level.

I'd say that if you have the extra 2 grand, go for it. If you want to save money, the stock seats are totally fine.

I DD my car about 30 miles a day and no complaints here. My only complaint tbh would be the position of the cup holder.

5'5" 230lbs 36" waist here. My fat ass belly fits comfortably between the bolsters.

I kept searching for a good deal on a car with Recaros, but truth be told, I don't think I am going to see a lot of track time and couldn't justify the price point. The stock seats are plenty comfy and do have more than adequate bolstering in the shoulder area to keep you in place. I did a 5 hour drive yesterday and never got any inkling of being sore. The drive back home is today...

I kept searching for a good deal on a car with Recaros, but truth be told, I don't think I am going to see a lot of track time and couldn't justify the price point. The stock seats are plenty comfy and do have more than adequate bolstering in the shoulder area to keep you in place. I did a 5 hour drive yesterday and never got any inkling of being sore. The drive back home is today...
I really do love this car for road trips. The longest one I took was 7 hours round trip. The small size makes it like a mini home.

Clutch is light so when I hit traffic going into nyc my knee didn't get sore, haha.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

kivnul

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
My son has a 14 with recaros. I have a 16 with the basic seats. I may not have had his seat properly adjusted, but I do not like how the seatpan is tilted with the part at the knees being so much higher than my butt. Made shifting suck. I think race seats are this way too so I think its just a problem with me and may not apply to most folks.

As an aside, this forum wants to change "recaros" to "scarecrow". That's comedy right there.

Last edited:

redmoe

I was torn between the cloth and recaros as well but I found my shoulders were too wide and I did not like the seat base angle of the recaros. It really depends on you build and personal comfort needs.

The Recaros are surprisingly comfortable. I'm a bigger build (5'11", ~240lbs, similar waist) and I can stay comfortable in them for several hours. I've taken several trips in it to the UP from the Metro Detroit Area (~7-8 hours depending on where you're going) with no issues.

I’ve owned both seats. I’m 6’3 and feel more comfortable in the recaros. Also, the recaros make the fiesta look like a million bucks.

Pro's about the recaros:
good for track usage (has a proper bucket)
pretty comfortable after breaking in, however if you are wide, they may jab your kidneys
heated, but only one setting (great for heating up my dinner ;) )

Cons
The seats work better for street usage, as the head rest bolster pushes your head forward weird with a helmet on
Fat chicks have to sit in the back (maybe this is a pro)

The base seats are pretty comfortable, but you will fly around the car if you try any hard driving.

However for the price, if I had the choice. I would buy after market seats and install them myself. The Civic type R has Corbeuas, and those are amazing!

HBEcoBeaST

I was torn between the cloth and recaros as well but I found my shoulders were too wide and I did not like the seat base angle of the recaros. It really depends on you build and personal comfort needs.
I too had to choose the base seats since my shoulders are too wide for the recaros. The recaros fit pretty wide waists just fine but not shoulders. I'm only 5'10-5'11 170lbs and definitely can't fit my shoulders.

I don't mind the cloth seats and my gf would definitely not have appreciated the recaros. Spending the saved coin on wet okole seat covers, tint and audio.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
I did not like the Recaros in the ST's, I have had 2 cars with real Recaros with adjustable front bolsters and wider. These are like Recaro lite and way too slippery leather. The cloth allows zero slide and easier to get in and out. Not a leather fan, I like a seat that breathes in the hot south. I used the extra $2k for an MP-215 and other goodies.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
My son has a 14 with recaros. I have a 16 with the basic seats. I may not have had his seat properly adjusted, but I do not like how the seatpan is tilted with the part at the knees being so much higher than my butt. Made shifting suck. I think race seats are this way too so I think its just a problem with me and may not apply to most folks.

As an aside, this forum wants to change "recaros" to "scarecrow". That's comedy right there.
Well I went through the same misgiving about the tilt that you noticed as well. Problem was the stock seats suck in my opinion. Had many cars with sport seats amd pretty good base seats.

Hell my Focus SE seats which are pretty much base cloth have better bolsters than the base ST seats.

There is little to none side bolstering on the seat pad of the base ST seat. Its like sitting on a bench. Go around a corner and you slide all over. Lol

Maybe its different for you, I get it but for me they are terrible seats. So I figured get the Recaros they make the car look classier. Lol plus they do feel nice IMO.

I will figure out a way to eliminate the tilt either by trying to space down the front a little or adding washers to the rear mount points like another forum member did.

Either way I am getting a 2018 Orange Spice, Smoke Storm Recaros, Ebony Wheels at invoice ordered.

dmb

6'1'' 260 felt like i was sitting on top of the recaros like i couldn't squeeze down into them. i wish the base seats had heaters, i don't slide around on the base seat with the seatbelts on, and all that weight on the seat [me] three wheeling if you know what i mean.

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
I have the Recaros in a '14 with now over 45K miles on it.
I love the seats and they are still I'm perfect condition.
I have given them a real test as I am 5'9'' and over 280LB (yes, fat).
As others have said if you don't like the base tilt, you can add washers in the rear (I have not).

When on a track, I find myself setting the seat back in a more upright position,
And yes, the headrest is very awkward with a helmet but this is easily rectified.
Just pull the headrest out and turn it around.
This leaves the headrest in place for safety but also clears any helmet.

Dave

OP
J
Thread Starter #18
About 95% on the Recaros. Will raise my order price to around 21,400 with the Black Wheel Package. I can afford the seats and its a car I plan on owning until the wheels fall off. I dont have broad shoulders so taking all the info everyone gave me ill likely fit

I swapped from base seats to recaros. They have both been a struggle for me to be comfortable in to be honest. I’m 6’2” 200lbs athletic build. I agree I feel I’m never quite in the seat but on it in the recaros, but I’ve found a decently comfortable position after I broke the bolsters loose. I found a thread on the focus st forums where someone removed the plastic bolster holders within the seat. This let the bolsters “open up more” or stretch when you sit in them. I didn’t wanna disassemble the seats so I just pushed on them and you could hear a subtle pop. Sure enough they weren’t digging into my ribs, kidneys and thighs as much. The Recaros do improve the look of the interior and I would choose them again if I had to, the materials are great and still look as good as when I installed em. Good luck with your decision.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
However for the price, if I had the choice. I would buy after market seats and install them myself.
^^^THIS EXACTLY!!

Besides not trusting Recaro (yup, despite their overstated rep and the popular 'name brand cachet' love for them) due to my own personal very negative experiences with the company, I decided that I would MUCH rather take that $2K, and put it towards a set of even better yet, even more 'properly bolstered', one piece race style back, reclining aftermarket seats of MY OWN choosing, eventually. [wink] [driving]

Side exploding whoopee cushions be DAMNED!