Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

FrankenTurbo

Trader history for FrankenTurbo (0)

XanRules

The F21 series are $999 (the original turbo Doug was going to build), this turbo will be an F23 series which starts at $1,299, this platform requires more space to fit the F23 wheels so a casted turbo (non oem housing) will be used and machined which adds to the cost.
Hi Tim,

For those of us who don't know a whole lot about a whole lot, what's the difference between F21 and F23 and why was the F23 chosen over the F21?

Looking forward to seeing what y'all come up with!

A7xogg

f23 is a bigger compressor side if im right than the oem turbo for that application. f21 is a bigger wheel with stock compressor side. Local guy to me has a f23 mk5 gti that he was been tracking for years. 30psi for 40,000 miles. no issues

XanRules

Gotcha, that makes sense! I too am disappointed that the price jumped so much so quickly but I'm excited to follow this project from an engineering standpoint regardless.

dmb

Ya a turbo upgrade in the stock housing is what we need in ca, I'm not real big on changing parts every 2 years and they are trying to make it every year. and the sneeky smog guys are few and $$$$ if you can find one. It would be nice to have a smog/ CARB section so people could help or laugh at us. I'M all for clean air but it seems that even if your car is clean they will fail it. It all comes down to $$$$$$ in someones pocket.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Ya a turbo upgrade in the stock housing is what we need in ca, I'm not real big on changing parts every 2 years and they are trying to make it every year. and the sneeky smog guys are few and $$$$ if you can find one. It would be nice to have a smog/ CARB section so people could help or laugh at us. I'M all for clean air but it seems that even if your car is clean they will fail it. It all comes down to $$$$$$ in someones pocket.
I agree, i'm all for clean air too but, seriously, as long as you can pass a sniff test they shouldn't worry about what you are running... but instead they just think it;s easier to run OBD only but also visually inspect for every little thing that isn't stock... Up here in Oregon, we are one of 13 states that has CA emissions when new, but when it comes time to inspection, as long as you aren't running stinky or loud they just plug in and pass you and you're on your way.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
We are still waiting on the factory supervisor to begin production for the Fiesta F23 turbo upgrade.

I'll provide more information as I have it.
Nice! We are getting close! I really hope to see a complete package at a price point that helps it stand out... I wonder if you guys could partner with a tuner to provide a base tune when selling it too. Tim, I'm sure you have relationships with some of our tuners, they would just need to get one in their hands and create a solid base canned tune for it with perhaps optional custom tuning for more power, etc.

dmb

I agree, i'm all for clean air too but, seriously, as long as you can pass a sniff test they shouldn't worry about what you are running... but instead they just think it;s easier to run OBD only but also visually inspect for every little thing that isn't stock... Up here in Oregon, we are one of 13 states that has CA emissions when new, but when it comes time to inspection, as long as you aren't running stinky or loud they just plug in and pass you and you're on your way.
you guys also have no sales tax, and you can't pump your own gas.[ jobs for kids] what a wonderful place to live. I hate you bro![like]

danbfree

3000 Post Club
you guys also have no sales tax, and you can't pump your own gas.[ jobs for kids] what a wonderful place to live. I hate you bro![like]
Lol! Until they put regular in instead of premium as you tell them premium while they see literally are grabbing for the pump and don't notice until the car is stumbling and your AP bombing out! But it gave me an excuse to try e30 and now I'm hooked!

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

OP
FrankenTurbo
Thread Starter #90
Do you mind if I ask, is this going to be 100% complete for $1000 or less you think? I mean, it's a direct bolt-on like a hybrid but will need new wastegate and BOV? Will there be a basic tune included as well?
We've re-thought the way we're positioning this turbo. And our new thinking is that the market wants something with more top end. That's going to take some doing but I think we're able. So it's looking like this:

F21 no
F23 yes

danbfree

3000 Post Club
We've re-thought the way we're positioning this turbo. And our new thinking is that the market wants something with more top end. That's going to take some doing but I think we're able. So it's looking like this:

F21 no
F23 yes
So...2 different compressor options at 2 different price points? F21 for faster spool, F23 for more top end?

OP
FrankenTurbo
Thread Starter #92
I'd love to do that. But I don't know if this market will support two variants. So for now we're pursuing the more difficult design. This will increase the likelihood our product is unique in its category.

OP
FrankenTurbo
Thread Starter #93
Last night the owner of the factory we partner with said he wants to develop a 1.6E turbo from the ground up. This would open up the possibility of increasing the turbine size from its tiny KP-series dimension up to a larger K03 area. Or maybe even as large as a K04. But to do that he wanted to know if I would be buying "X" number of turbos annually. He asked if I could do that. And I said I had no idea. I don't know how big the market is for performance upgrades on this engine.

One benchmark I do have is our F21M and F21P turbos for the 1.6 engine used in the MINI and Peugeot. Those turbos have twin scroll turbine housings. Very nice. And we paired our F21 wheels into them. This combo makes for an absolutely delightful 300bhp car. The F21 turbos are a great fit for the platform. But from a marketing perspective, they're duds. We sell maybe 30 units per year across all models of that car/engine. If the Fiesta market is no stronger, no more receptive, we're not going to be able to get too creative with our product lineup.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
I'm probably not even going to upgrade my Turbo. I don't mean this in a disrespectful way but honestly the way it's going to me it sounds like it's dead in the water. I do hope something cool comes out of this though.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Last night the owner of the factory we partner with said he wants to develop a 1.6E turbo from the ground up. This would open up the possibility of increasing the turbine size from its tiny KP-series dimension up to a larger K03 area. Or maybe even as large as a K04. But to do that he wanted to know if I would be buying "X" number of turbos annually. He asked if I could do that. And I said I had no idea. I don't know how big the market is for performance upgrades on this engine.

One benchmark I do have is our F21M and F21P turbos for the 1.6 engine used in the MINI and Peugeot. Those turbos have twin scroll turbine housings. Very nice. And we paired our F21 wheels into them. This combo makes for an absolutely delightful 300bhp car. The F21 turbos are a great fit for the platform. But from a marketing perspective, they're duds. We sell maybe 30 units per year across all models of that car/engine. If the Fiesta market is no stronger, no more receptive, we're not going to be able to get too creative with our product lineup.
Oh man, we really could use a new twin scroll option for the FiST! They had one out of the UK but went nowhere but I know first hand just how good twin scroll can be with it's very wide powerband on a Kia 1.6 GDI-T hatchback I had... but overall what will be the most successful is a turbo that is low-priced, doesn't need to make 300HP (since our stock fueling runs out there anyway), and easy to install and can be up and running with a solid base tune included with the option to of course go custom from there. Much like Mountune and their MRX, but one a step down in power but cheaper to show too.

dmb

I don't think there will be a whole bunch of people standing at your door for FiST turbo's. I don't think your sell alot, so don't jump into the pool with no water in it, so to say. Ask these guys how many they sell and your find that they stock maybe 1 or 2 if any at all, you know wait a week or two. I was interested in the oem upgrade but like I said before CARB isn't stupid. But I wish you the best but until I move from The Peoples Republic Of California it's a no go for a different snail.

Woods247

2000 Post Club
I’m upgrading my turbo. Ive been waiting for more info about the product you’re bringing. Is this not happening now? I’m confused.

If it’s around $1500, US Support, reliable, close to 300/300, stock spool characteristics and factory fit I’ll be happy. That’s asking a lot I guess.

pwnall1337

Vendor
Hey All,

What Doug was saying is that the market is more geared towards power numbers. The F23 should be right up where with the vt330r and higher for 60% of the price point. This turbo will feature an uprated center section and a properly balanced wheel setup for a very reasonable price while still spooling like the stock turbo.

While the market may not be as large as other platforms I sell around 6-10 turbos a month for the fiesta which may not seem like a lot, however it's still pretty decent given the competition out there. Let's be honest, how many other platforms have 4-5 direct bolt on hybrid turbo upgrades? Essentially we decided to stick with the F23 as volume will be low and having multiple options out there would be expensive.

So for this turbo, expect the F23 which will still be the cheapest turbo option on the market for the Fiesta ST and hopefully allow more people to upgrade their turbos which is the biggest bottleneck on these cars up to 300whp.

A7xogg

This is pretty exciting. Now I'm not so upset that my plans to turboswap are at least a year away.
Same, i need to buy another house before i get upgraded turbo(though upgrading to a type r is being peer pressured by my fiance).