Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

FrankenTurbo

Trader history for FrankenTurbo (0)

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Yes, bump for update! :)

After reading the last page with updates from FrankenTubo and Tim, I'm not so sure I agree the market is all about power numbers... I mean it IS, too much, there is not one single turbo that is like "Hey, we're not even going to try to match the crowded market that's already limited by stock fueling, so here we are, more affordable than everyone but 100% turn key at that lower price too".

I mean, REALLY? Does EVERYONE want to jump from ~220 to 300HP on a car this small? Can't there just be a 50 HP upgrade with more upper-end for that sweet spot many of us are looking for? Something like an x37, a very basic re-worked hybrid complete with tune option for like $1000 (Do core charge if need be) But instead we have 5 options all over 300HP in some crazy arms race that doesn't have enough buyers looking for that.

Anyway, just my thoughts, I truly don't get why a platform this mature doesn't have that "step up" option, I think it would sell like gangbusters, make for a true stage 3 before going big turbo.

pwnall1337

Vendor
Things have been stalled temporarily I spoke with Doug yesterday and we're waiting to see to hear back from the factory on the turbo.

Business6

After reading the last page with updates from FrankenTubo and Tim, I'm not so sure I agree the market is all about power numbers... I mean it IS, too much, there is not one single turbo that is like "Hey, we're not even going to try to match the crowded market that's already limited by stock fueling, so here we are, more affordable than everyone but 100% turn key at that lower price too".

I mean, REALLY? Does EVERYONE want to jump from ~220 to 300HP on a car this small? Can't there just be a 50 HP upgrade with more upper-end for that sweet spot many of us are looking for? Something like an x37, a very basic re-worked hybrid complete with tune option for like $1000 (Do core charge if need be) But instead we have 5 options all over 300HP in some crazy arms race that doesn't have enough buyers looking for that.

Anyway, just my thoughts, I truly don't get why a platform this mature doesn't have that "step up" option, I think it would sell like gangbusters, make for a true stage 3 before going big turbo.
Agreed. I don't have interest in big turbo but a true stage 3 would be amazing

pwnall1337

Vendor
Agreed. I don't have interest in big turbo but a true stage 3 would be amazing
I'm not entirely sure what you mean by a true stage 3. Unfortunately if we're talking SAE numbers on e30 and full bolt ons the limit is 215->220 whp (on a good day). The OEM snail is the bottle neck as it's inbetween the intake and manifold it controls the air flows and pressure. In fact the stock air box is plenty for most hybrid turbos with a drop in filter, you just need the cross over pipe for fitment to the turbo inlet as the hybrids have larger compressor inlet diameters. I wanna keep this thread specific to the frankenturbo, but I have another option while we're waiting on updates for the F23. I'll open a new thread later this week.

Dpro

6000 Post Club

Bites tongue, lol so much I am tempted to say. In the end I think they think they have a better market in the balls out baddass best Turbo on the market camp.
Certain people are stuck on the high HP game thinking our cars should be dragsters. Lol we are not in England were big engine High HP drag cars are not common place.
I always found the import drag scene to be amusing. Great your great handling import can now run the drag strip at 10 seconds but how long is that engine gonna last? Oh and how do you put all that power down in the corners? Lol
300 whp is more than enough for our cars, I know guys putting out 280 and their cars are pretty damn fast.
I mean how much .... swinging do we need to do here? I mean ya its fun to disgrace a supercar but how much of that turns into an excercise of ego aimed at the Ego you are trying to to make fun of?

Just food for thought.

I am personally in the camp yoi are in I would want something like a X37 but better in the reliability department. A modern Turbo that spools like stock and does not need a custom aftermarket manifold and gives me in the meighborhood of 280-300 whp max but retains drivabilty.
It seems like this is were Franken started but when certain other people got involved its gone off the rails.

This will probably be my first and last post here after observing the thread.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
I'm not entirely sure what you mean by a true stage 3. Unfortunately if we're talking SAE numbers on e30 and full bolt ons the limit is 215->220 whp (on a good day). The OEM snail is the bottle neck as it's inbetween the intake and manifold it controls the air flows and pressure. In fact the stock air box is plenty for most hybrid turbos with a drop in filter, you just need the cross over pipe for fitment to the turbo inlet as the hybrids have larger compressor inlet diameters. I wanna keep this thread specific to the frankenturbo, but I have another option while we're waiting on updates for the F23. I'll open a new thread later this week.
And that's what I mean, compared to Cobb's 3 stages all with the same tiny factory turbo, I'd like stage 3 to mean hybrid type upgrade when bolt on's don't make much difference past an intercooler upgrade, that would be the true stage 2... thanks for being active on here and looking forward to all the options available... but to be specific, was hoping the whole budget factor of the FrankenTurbo that was mentioned right up front could mean smaller upgrade, turn key package and not just another big turbo option that's maybe $100 less than all the others already out there right now...

pwnall1337

Vendor
Bites tongue, lol so much I am tempted to say. In the end I think they think they have a better market in the balls out baddass best Turbo on the market camp.
Certain people are stuck on the high HP game thinking our cars should be dragsters. Lol we are not in England were big engine High HP drag cars are not common place.
I always found the import drag scene to be amusing. Great your great handling import can now run the drag strip at 10 seconds but how long is that engine gonna last? Oh and how do you put all that power down in the corners? Lol
300 whp is more than enough for our cars, I know guys putting out 280 and their cars are pretty damn fast.
I mean how much .... swinging do we need to do here? I mean ya its fun to disgrace a supercar but how much of that turns into an excercise of ego aimed at the Ego you are trying to to make fun of?

Just food for thought.

I am personally in the camp yoi are in I would want something like a X37 but better in the reliability department. A modern Turbo that spools like stock and does not need a custom aftermarket manifold and gives me in the meighborhood of 280-300 whp max but retains drivabilty.
It seems like this is were Franken started but when certain other people got involved its gone off the rails.

This will probably be my first and last post here after observing the thread.
I was hinting that I'll have 3 new x37's in stock in a week or two. I'm bringing them back, but I wanted to keep that out of this thread. This thread is specific to frankenturbo. I'll create another thread later in the week.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
I was hinting that I'll have 3 new x37's in stock in a week or two. I'm bringing them back, but I wanted to keep that out of this thread. This thread is specific to frankenturbo. I'll create another thread later in the week.
Thanks Tim, wasn't trying to press you on releasing details of other products, it was just between you and FrankenTurbo's comments that you/they decided to push FrankenTurbo up-market, that the smaller upgrade end has been left empty... and now it seems you are resolving that! [hihi]

pwnall1337

Vendor
The issue here is that Frankenturbo does not re work old cores, Doug uses casted housings even if the casting is based off stock, so it takes time to design the parts. So essentially the Frankenturbo is a much more involved process and Doug is currently working with the factory to bring this altogether. I follow up about once a week and he's very fast to respond.

KnockOff

1000 Post Club
Give me an affordable reliable 280whp and this will be 110% for me. I imagine I'm not alone in thinking this.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Give me an affordable reliable 280whp and this will be 110% for me. I imagine I'm not alone in thinking this.

I'd just rather have 260/280 that peaks at 6500 instead of 220/300 that ends at 5500with similar spool... I mean, there might even be some port job with larger wheel that could do this without a whole new turbo? Maybe that's pretty much what the x37 is... Just brainstorming, very curious how these new turbo options pan out...

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

KnockOff

1000 Post Club
Are the x37's more reliable than the 47? I dont like the ported stock housing idea much but shooting for a low price, it seems to be par for the course.

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Another hand in the air here for a kit that doesn't have to be a 300+ HP screamer. 280 whp with decent spool is plenty. I almost pulled the trigger on the latest X47r sales that pwn had going but like many of you, i'm a bit leary of the longevity of a hand ported stock housing. If it were CNC ported i'd feel much better about it but pumaspeed isn't. Peron's hybrid was but they stopped making it soooo now what. The GTX kits spool later than i imagine i'd like. I don't expect stock spool, obviously, but waiting around until 3400 or whatever for a short 3000 rpm boost to redline is too narrow a power band for me. I want my go kart to stay a go kart, just scarier :) Unless this Frankenturbo sees the light of day, I'll probably go with the RT330 and a ported mani. More kit than i want but like you guys have been saying, there isn't an a medium option...like a CNC'd X37+ or something ;)

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Another hand in the air here for a kit that doesn't have to be a 300+ HP screamer. 280 whp with decent spool is plenty. I almost pulled the trigger on the latest X47r sales that pwn had going but like many of you, i'm a bit leary of the longevity of a hand ported stock housing. If it were CNC ported i'd feel much better about it but pumaspeed isn't. Peron's hybrid was but they stopped making it soooo now what. The GTX kits spool later than i imagine i'd like. I don't expect stock spool, obviously, but waiting around until 3400 or whatever for a short 3000 rpm boost to redline is too narrow a power band for me. I want my go kart to stay a go kart, just scarier :) Unless this Frankenturbo sees the light of day, I'll probably go with the RT330 and a ported mani. More kit than i want but like you guys have been saying, there isn't an a medium option...like a CNC'd X37+ or something ;)
The Mountune MTX is a GT2554R base with custom compressor wheel and housing that gives close to stock spool as you can tell by the powerband here... Not here to change the subject, just hoping FrankenTurbo can also perform similar for less.

v2gDS22.jpg

Dpro

6000 Post Club
The Mountune MTX is a GT2554R base with custom compressor wheel and housing that gives close to stock spool as you can tell by the powerband here... Not here to change the subject, just hoping FrankenTurbo can also perform similar for less.

View attachment 18753
In real world tests the Mountune has been shown to be quite different from stock as far as spool goes from what I have read. I was initially quite interested in it. Thoug after following real world results vs Mountune published results it fell off the consideration list.
Truthfully I am taking this whole thing in stages on purpose. I am not of the ilk of buy a new car slap a bigger turbo on it nearly immediately, as the ulitimate way to get more power.
Fact is I want to grow the car through the stages appreciating the steps. I can see down the road I wil probably not be happy without a different Turbo But for now its ok.
I like expirementing and seeing what I can wring out out regardless of naysayers.
If it was a used a vehicle I might take a different approach. As in the 240sx world with SR’s the order of the day was basically slap a bigger turbo on as the stock unit started blowing hot air at 12lbs. Kinda like our cars as the stock unit was a T25 but you could jump to a T28 without even doing much mods beyond a hi flow fuel pump to realize decent power. You did not need to put larger injectors or bigger MAF’s aftermarket mani’s etc. unless you were planning on breaking 300whp on regular basis.
Oh and quite few did go after that as the SR20DET was a very stout solid engine for a platform.

Of course I did run a RB25DET with an HKS GT2530 that turned out 300whp with ease at 11lbs boost and only needing the upgraded fuel pump.
Car was a terror, and drove sport bikes nuts lol.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
In real world tests the Mountune has been shown to be quite different from stock as far as spool goes from what I have read. I was initially quite interested in it. Thoug after following real world results vs Mountune published results it fell off the consideration list.
Truthfully I am taking this whole thing in stages on purpose. I am not of the ilk of buy a new car slap a bigger turbo on it nearly immediately, as the ulitimate way to get more power.
Fact is I want to grow the car through the stages appreciating the steps. I can see down the road I wil probably not be happy without a different Turbo But for now its ok.
I like expirementing and seeing what I can wring out out regardless of naysayers.
If it was a used a vehicle I might take a different approach. As in the 240sx world with SR’s the order of the day was basically slap a bigger turbo on as the stock unit started blowing hot air at 12lbs. Kinda like our cars as the stock unit was a T25 but you could jump to a T28 without even doing much mods beyond a hi flow fuel pump to realize decent power. You did not need to put larger injectors or bigger MAF’s aftermarket mani’s etc. unless you were planning on breaking 300whp on regular basis.
Oh and quite few did go after that as the SR20DET was a very stout solid engine for a platform.

Of course I did run a RB25DET with an HKS GT2530 that turned out 300whp with ease at 11lbs boost and only needing the upgraded fuel pump.
Car was a terror, and drove sport bikes nuts lol.
Wow, I didn't realize that real-world charts show quite a bit different than stock spool, good to know! And yeah, I had considered putting an SR20DET in my G20 back like 10 years ago but here I am, LOL... but with no real stages with such a tiny stock turbo, I can see why some people just want to do it all at once... but I'd say work on suspension, brakes, bracing, mounts first.

KnockOff

1000 Post Club
I'm in the same boat as some of you guys.
Mtx is fairly cheap. You get the reliability of a garret but like stated the spool moves up.
280whp is about what ppl get. The revo is I think 300 bucks more with stock spool and one could get 280 without pushing the limits of the turbo. It's also a "revo" witch I never heard of until whoosh started offering it. Idk the more I think about it the more I cant decide. I was set on the mtx until hearing about the spool coming in later but also that's better for the car. Later spool is easier on the engine and whole driveline. I have also heard once you get used to the power band moving up you get used to it. Just have to drive different.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Wow, I didn't realize that real-world charts show quite a bit different than stock spool, good to know! And yeah, I had considered putting an SR20DET in my G20 back like 10 years ago but here I am, LOL... but with no real stages with such a tiny stock turbo, I can see why some people just want to do it all at once... but I'd say work on suspension, brakes, bracing, mounts first.
Ah P10’s and P11’s the Former being a British Touring champion several years in a row. Owned a setup P10 Ground Control coilovers few other things. Another awesome FWD car and quite honestly a strong challenger to the B13 SER.
Yup stick an SR20DET out of a Japanese Pulsar in place of the SR20DE and you had a monster.

Mtx is fairly cheap. You get the reliability of a garret but like stated the spool moves up.
280whp is about what ppl get. The revo is I think 300 bucks more with stock spool and one could get 280 without pushing the limits of the turbo. It's also a "revo" witch I never heard of until whoosh started offering it. Idk the more I think about it the more I cant decide. I was set on the mtx until hearing about the spool coming in later but also that's better for the car. Later spool is easier on the engine and whole driveline. I have also heard once you get used to the power band moving up you get used to it. Just have to drive different.

I get this except I like how the car runs stock i just want the top end. Falling flat at 5500 has always been weak sauce. That was the problem with the KA24DE in 240sx’s ( another long stroke engine) . Gobs of TQ by nature but needed serious work to see revs above 5500. When people put Turbo’s on them which the responded to quite well. As the head is excellent flow wise and valve train wise, and the pistons came stock with oil squirters. it was almost as if Nissan had desgined the engine for Boosted applications Turbo or Superchargered. Both of which have been done by people with awesome results short of that 5500 rpm wall.

Now our engines are long stroke too as thats how Ford was able to get so much TQ out of them indeed we can go to 6500-7000 because of the smalll cc but again here is the tiny turbo holding it back.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account

MRX*

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Last edited: