Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Receiving my AP soon with only Cobb OTS tunes, any other free better OTS tunes out there?

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Got a deal on a used unmarried AP with only Cobb OTS tunes coming and sorry if this is a dumb question... I know that Stratified and Mountune, Tune+, etc all offer OTS and custom tunes, but is there a community/forum or whatever where some OTS tunes are shared or is this even possible? I have a new stock '17 with only drop-in filter, but I know Stratified has a back log and I'm always interested in options. TIA!

There isn't anything free out there (I mean you technically paid for the Cobb ones too).

If you want to do more than drop-in filter, I would wait until you have a few more mods (FMIC, downpipe, exhaust, etc) before buying an OTS tune, but that's me. To really make a difference, you really need a FMIC at least. Stage 2 is one hell of a difference.

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #3
There isn't anything free out there (I mean you technically paid for the Cobb ones too).

If you want to do more than drop-in filter, I would wait until you have a few more mods (FMIC, downpipe, exhaust, etc) before buying an OTS tune, but that's me. To really make a difference, you really need a FMIC at least. Stage 2 is one hell of a difference.
Right on... I mean, there isn't a ton of gains until you go turbo upgrade but I do know hot side pipe and FMIC can help, for sure... BUT, I do know that Stratified and Mountune OTS are far superior to Cobb's, was just hoping that maybe OTS tune files could simply be shared over email or whatever...

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

At least Stratified's terms of use are very specific that you cannot share tunes, so any attempt at pooling files would violate those terms and maybe could be viewed as theft. A Stratified tune is 50 bucks, a very good deal. I don't know the cost of others. All the tuners are so unbelievably supportive of members here, and I personally would always choose to pay a fair price to them for all the work they do.

Right on... I mean, there isn't a ton of gains until you go turbo upgrade but I do know hot side pipe and FMIC can help, for sure... BUT, I do know that Stratified and Mountune OTS are far superior to Cobb's, was just hoping that maybe OTS tune files could simply be shared over email or whatever...

I would argue that there is quite a bit of power to be gained even without a turbo. By stage 2 you're about the same power to weight ratio as the FoST stock, stage 3 for sure is at least equal and you'll be a good deal cheaper. Slap on a X47 and you're at the same place as a FoRS for MUCH cheaper (minus AWD unfortunately).

And let's not forget the FiST is faster on a track stock for stock than the FiST, so a few mods is just adding to that superiority!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #6
At least Stratified's terms of use are very specific that you cannot share tunes, so any attempt at pooling files would violate those terms and maybe could be viewed as theft. A Stratified tune is 50 bucks, a very good deal. I don't know the cost of others. All the tuners are so unbelievably supportive of members here, and I personally would always choose to pay a fair price to them for all the work they do.
That makes sense, I'm probably just going to play around with the Cobb tunes for now... I just hate how Stratified is not really $50 unless you want to give up the features that the Cobb comes with... Sure, some may not care, but I want the Cobb basics like their traction control, FFS, etc. included without the $5-10-15 charges here and there... Oh well, I'm considering Dizzy or just accept the Stratified tune is really about $150 to get all the goodies on a multi slot file... Anyway, thanks for all the input, I'll enjoy the Cobb tunes for now and do more research on the mean time.

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #7
I would argue that there is quite a bit of power to be gained even without a turbo. By stage 2 you're about the same power to weight ratio as the FoST stock, stage 3 for sure is at least equal and you'll be a good deal cheaper. Slap on a X47 and you're at the same place as a FoRS for MUCH cheaper (minus AWD unfortunately).

And let's not forget the FiST is faster on a track stock for stock than the FiST, so a few mods is just adding to that superiority!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
I guess I'm just not used to being so limited by the stock turbo... I previously had cars that had much better gains available as they had bigger turbo's, oh well.. I just hate that there is just so much torque that's not needed on such a small car without the high-end pull..

I just hate how Stratified is not really $50 unless you want to give up the features that the Cobb comes with
I ended up spending $150 on my Stratified tune but I have a single file combo tune that gives me 93 performance, 93 limited boost (15 psi) eco, E30 and E30 eco, plus valet mode, in my 5 available slots. I also have launch control and flat foot shifting, as well as configurable Stratified traction control. Having all these choices just a tap of a cruise control button away while on the move is really cool. When I think of all the dumb stuff I drop more than $150 on, this tune is like the bargain of the century to me. [thumb]

That makes sense, I'm probably just going to play around with the Cobb tunes for now... I just hate how Stratified is not really $50 unless you want to give up the features that the Cobb comes with... Sure, some may not care, but I want the Cobb basics like their traction control, FFS, etc. included without the $5-10-15 charges here and there... Oh well, I'm considering Dizzy or just accept the Stratified tune is really about $150 to get all the goodies on a multi slot file... Anyway, thanks for all the input, I'll enjoy the Cobb tunes for now and do more research on the mean time.

If you're concerned about bang for your buck, stick with Cobb ots. Only get a flash tune if you're going e30.

DEss

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #10
If you're concerned about bang for your buck, stick with Cobb ots. Only get a flash tune if you're going e30.

DEss
Thanks... ya, I'm going to play around with the data logging, etc. see if I'm getting any kind of errors and stuff... Car only has 2100 miles on it, not sure if I should go to a step colder plug? Where I live they say the premium is 92 octane but various tuners say it's underrated and safe to use 93 tunes... What should I look for in data logs that will show I need to maybe back down to a 91 tune if I have to?

Thanks... ya, I'm going to play around with the data logging, etc. see if I'm getting any kind of errors and stuff... Car only has 2100 miles on it, not sure if I should go to a step colder plug? Where I live they say the premium is 92 octane but various tuners say it's underrated and safe to use 93 tunes... What should I look for in data logs that will show I need to maybe back down to a 91 tune if I have to?
Octane adjust ratio is an indicator of fuel quality. Can monitor cyl corrections and cyl knock.

DEss