Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

16x8, best all around wheel size for the FiST and why you should look at what PCA is working on.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
If you are serious about real performance or even just the look....go to this thread and add your name to the list:)
http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/threads/6837-Interested-in-16x8-Pro-Race-1-2-wheels-Reply-here!

16x8 benefits.
1) 17" factory wheel diameter limits the amount of sidewall that can be used which reflects directly on ride quality which also directly reflects on wear and tear on the suspension and body structure over time, 16" wheels can solve this issue with the right tires.
2) Few tires made which fit the car properly if you want a wider tire, which should include a wider wheel for optimum handling, some wider tires available that are not to tall.
3) Generally you can save some weight depending on the wheel and tire combo or at least maintain the same weight and still have wider tires and more sidewall, both pluses.
4) Better high performance all season tires to pick from in 16" vice 15" and both are better than 17's as a very stiff tire does not grip as well in adverse weather.
5) 16" should fit over the current BBK's though might not be tested yet, 15" does not fit.

I have 205/45/17 Michelin PS-3 A/S, the best high performance all season tires made and very expensive at that(in reality a 3 season tire as not to great in snow, the Conti higher end tire is better in snow but not nearly as good in the summer.

I am going to loose hundreds of dollars and sell them and go to 16's so I can either run the Mich PS-3 A/S in that size or the BFG Comp 2 AS which I am leaning towards though on 16x7 as I cannot get any wider wheels in the proper offset with the 4x100 bolt pattern unless I spend a fortune on forged wheels for the winter, not going to happen.

My Rival S tires in 225/45/15 on 15x9 wheels have incredible summer grip but shockingly better ride and less noise than the Michelin tires in 17" that I have back on the car for the winter.

------------

PCA, Kudos for offering to bring us the 16x8 1.2 wheels, very high quality, very reasonable price, perfect fitment for the car.

http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/threads/6837-Interested-in-16x8-Pro-Race-1-2-wheels-Reply-here!?goto=newpost

I would order at least one if not two or more sets but I have 18 other wheels in the 4x100 conversion so not going to work for me:(

Any questions please ask:)
Rick

OP
R

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #3
Because I wanted to get more attention for the important offering PCA is doing for the community via a title will be seen more readily than a post buried in a thread.

PCA-1

Because I wanted to get more attention for the important offering PCA is doing for the community via a title will be seen more readily than a post buried in a thread.
Thank you [coolsmile].

I actually would have posted a thread in this forum. Was not sure of the rules and did not ask. Most of the forums PCA is on does not allow for sponsor parts related threads outside of the vendor/group buy area.

OP
R

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #5
You are most welcome, glad to help anyway I can for this very important offering:)

PCA-1

Requests for the 16x8 size Pro Race 1.2 have been coming in for years. PCA has requested this size every year. However, PCA has received way more inquiries this year from Fiesta ST owners, and the UK has interest.

From a pure business standpoint, TD does not want to invest in a new size only to have the inventory sit unsold. I have no doubt there is demand in 4x108 and elsewhere. This would seem like a slam dunk for TD. The parent company, Rimstock Plc, is the largest OEM wheel manufacturer in the UK. At any one time, they will have up to 20,000 wheels in house. There is much more going on behind the scenes that is not visible to dealers/enthusiasts. Team Dynamics, the motosport division, accounts for a very small/comparable percent of Rimstock's sales.

The door is open. I cannot emphasize how important it is to get in on this. The sooner we hopefully/can get the go ahead, the sooner the wheels will arrive. If this stretches into December, the door for 2016 will likely be closed.

OP
R

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #7
I very much appreciate the situation you are in. How many wheels would have to be ordered to get them to make a new size, how much of an investment, how fast they sell or how long sit on the shelf....? I talked to a different manf last year and they wanted far more than I could afford to have made and a very long delay time and I am retired, just wanted to help our fellow FiST owners really but just could not do it.

Unfortunately in the bigger is better mentality we live in and the tiny size of our car, wheel well size and gearing means not a great number of tires in 16 but more than in 17s so hopefully you get enough interest from true performance enthusiasts in getting this done. (helps the car is sold around the world, they can supply vendors in other areas as well if they do this:)

Thanks again for pursuing this, I really hope it comes to fruition!

Rick

PCA-1

I very much appreciate the situation you are in. How many wheels would have to be ordered to get them to make a new size, how much of an investment, how fast they sell or how long sit on the shelf....? I talked to a different manf last year and they wanted far more than I could afford to have made and a very long delay time and I am retired, just wanted to help our fellow FiST owners really but just could not do it.

Unfortunately in the bigger is better mentality we live in and the tiny size of our car, wheel well size and gearing means not a great number of tires in 16 but more than in 17s so hopefully you get enough interest from true performance enthusiasts in getting this done. (helps the car is sold around the world, they can supply vendors in other areas as well if they do this:)

Thanks again for pursuing this, I really hope it comes to fruition!

Rick
I will answer this as best I can at the moment. The number of wheels has not yet been determined. I have asked and am waiting for the reply.

Their is no investment for PCA, hence the interest thread, which will turn into a group buy thread at the appropriate time. When the wheel gets the go ahead, pricing/offset range/weight/ETA will unfold. We are really in the soft phase. I would like to have all the answers too.

As much as I love 16" wheels, I have a set of 16x8 on my other car, but I wouldn't run them on the Fiesta (even though they would fit perfectly). There are zero tire choices anymore for that size, less than a handful of widths to choose from and generally the only options are economy tires or racing slicks with nothing in between. There are exponentially more 15" and 17" tires available at significantly less cost (16" tires are always the most expensive that I have found). Correct me if I am wrong and this has changed, but it is a size that has simply gone out of style with both wheel and tire manufacturers.

J2FoRS

Does a 16x8 fit bolt on ? Or modification needed. I'd welcome the lighter wheel and more rubber but I don't really know the ins ans outs.

OP
R

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #11
It depends on just what you need from your tires and anything with decent tread width is hard to come by in 17 as just to tall.

I know 16's are less in supply but still it is a better size for ride, height, etct and some damn good tires made, just not many.

In 15 you are limited to one 225 super sticky street tire, try to order others, I did, plenty of race tires, but only one half ass decent all season in any 15 I have found unless very narrow or winter only tires which most do not need and I would never want personally as to limited in use.

I may just have to post what is really available that makes sense for each diameter and use, need, etc.....:)

OP
R

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #12
Let me rephrase this a bit.

IF, you can find the right tire to fit your needs in 16", which I will gladly help you with, no charge, the 16x8 is the best wheel size for this car for performance aspects on a road race track, autocross, good weather mountain run, even looks.....

IF, you need a great all season tire and still want it a bit wide they are available that will work on this wheel but you could do well on a 7" wide wheel as well.

IF, you are into rally, rally cross, just want snow wheels and tires, not the right wheel you need, go narrower, go 15, etc.....

IF, you are into road racing, autocross, etc and can DIY a BBK or live with stock brakes, 15" is better in many situations but 16's are still viable depending on your specific needs.

Again the main issue is the bigger wheel is better mentality, many merits, mostly style and we are stuck somewhere in the middle of tire and wheel choices that fit and do the best for our intended needs.

Waterfan

I am looking to "downgrade" from stock to 16" wheels soon. I agree the case for 16x8 is compelling.

PCA-1 what are the full specs (offset, weight) for TD ProRace 1.2 in 16x8 4x108?

Thank you

PCA-1

I am looking to "downgrade" from stock to 16" wheels soon. I agree the case for 16x8 is compelling.

PCA-1 what are the full specs (offset, weight) for TD ProRace 1.2 in 16x8 4x108?

Thank you
The factory is yet to work on the wheel itself. We are in the initial phase of determining if there is sufficient interest to get the UK to move forward on the 16x8 size. Pricing ball park is $750+/-, weight ~16.8lbs, offsets from 30mm to 42mm. Note this is, again, preliminary. The factory has not approved the size to date.

If you are wanting wheels soon, this likely will not meet your timeframe. This is a spring thing, should we achieve production.

The interest thread is located in the Perfect Circle Autosport vendor forum here.

OP
R

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #15
I just added the link to the top of my first post on this thread and if serious about real performance or even just looks add your name to the list:)

Waterfan

The factory is yet to work on the wheel itself. We are in the initial phase of determining if there is sufficient interest to get the UK to move forward on the 16x8 size. Pricing ball park is $750+/-, weight ~16.8lbs, offsets from 30mm to 42mm. Note this is, again, preliminary. The factory has not approved the size to date.

If you are wanting wheels soon, this likely will not meet your timeframe. This is a spring thing, should we achieve production.

The interest thread is located in the Perfect Circle Autosport vendor forum here.
Thank you for the preliminary specs. Given what I understand about the excellent strength of these wheels, ~16.8lbs is quite reasonable for a 16x8. The 30-42 ET range works for me as well.

Springtime could work very well and is probably "soon" enough for me. These are definitely going on my shortlist/watchlist. :)

PCA-1

Thank you for the preliminary specs. Given what I understand about the excellent strength of these wheels, ~16.8lbs is quite reasonable for a 16x8. The 30-42 ET range works for me as well.

Springtime could work very well and is probably "soon" enough for me. These are definitely going on my shortlist/watchlist. :)
Shall I add you to the list???