Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Quietest tires?

I seem to feel every single pebble on the road with the stock tires. Any recommendations for quieter tires? I don’t plan to track the car any time soon; just some canyon carving.

kevinatfms

Youre going to trade sound for grip. The construction and tread pattern of high performance tires dictates the sound transmission into the cabin. A larger treadblock is going to hold the road better but produce more noise.

I went to an all season Riken tire during my long commutes and while they were great for a long trip and through rough roads they were horrendous at anything approaching the limit.

Swapped to Azenis 615K the other week and its night and day difference in grip(they are stupid sticky) but the sound is there. Now that my car is auto-x and weekend fun toy only its tolerable.

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
Michelin Pilot Super Sports are incredibly quiet with very little loss in performance. I have found them to be the very best tire on the market for daily driver use. They work great in the dry or wet, are very quiet, and have a surprising amount of grip. My dad runs these on all of his Saleens, Shelby GT, SVT Focus, and Focus RS. He swears by them for street use and I finally decided to give them a try and I see why he uses them on everything he owns. I have been running Yokohama's, Kuhmo's, Dunlops, BfGoodrich, Continentals, and Sumitumo on a number of different cars over the past 20 years and none of them have been as good as the Michelins. The Yokohamas were all loud, with the S-Drives the worst. Dunlops were pretty decent. BFG's were loud. Kuhmo's were loud and had terrible wet weather traction. The Sumitomo's were cheap and loud. The Continentals were close to the Michelins.

I would avoid any all-season tire as they can't come close to the same level of grip as a proper summer tire. The tread design and compound is compromised too much to allow them to work in cold temps and snow.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Michelin Pilot Super Sports are incredibly quiet with very little loss in performance. I have found them to be the very best tire on the market for daily driver use. They work great in the dry or wet, are very quiet, and have a surprising amount of grip.
^^^ABSOLUTELY!! [thumb]

Now tell Michelin Corporate to produce them (or the replacement 4Ses) in DIRECT sizes that WE CAN USE on OUR rides, without ANY chance of rubbing! [wink] [mad]

OP
OrangeFiST
Thread Starter #5
Thank you very much BRGT and MSport. I really appreciate the info. Seems I can even get them at Costco. They told me they have been replaced by the Sport All Season 3+. Right now, they’re having a promotion with $70 off for all 4 with an out the door price of $597. Offer good for another month. I have another couple thousand miles left on the stock tires but I’m wondering whether I should just pull the trigger.

edit: uh oh, all season. I will see about the 4S.

Last edited:

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
I would love to run the new Michelin 4S, but they just don't make them in 17". I am running P205/45 17 Pilot Super Sports with Mountune springs. I needed to do a little trimming on the front bumper cover to get them to clear. The quality of the tire makes the trimming a no brainer.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thank you very much BRGT and MSport. I really appreciate the info. Seems I can even get them at Costco. They told me they have been replaced by the Sport All Season 3+. Right now, they’re having a promotion with $70 off for all 4 with an out the door price of $597. Offer good for another month. I have another couple thousand miles left on the stock tires but I’m wondering whether I should just pull the trigger.

edit: uh oh, all season. I will see about the 4S.
The Pilot Sport AS3+ are EXCELLENT, but for a quieter ride you want to go a little more sidewall so maybe a 205/45/17... and Costco has them $70 off set of 4 plus free install on Michelin's starting today so $482 before tax and TPS sensors if you need them... Personally I'm looking at the even better rated for less money BF Goodrich G-force Sport COMP2 $60 off set of 4 but no free install, so about $425 a set...