Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Shifter cables touching downpipe

DangerMouse

Just installed a mountune downpipe and the shifter cables were touching the cat section. I bent the cable bracket upwards best I could to create clearance but it didn't do much.

Should I be concerned?

kivnul

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
I have an email out to mountuneusa about this exact issue. I took one cable out of the bracket to make a 1/8" clearance. I have some heat tape on route that I will put over the cables to protect them the best I can. Dunno what else we can do really.

OP
DangerMouse

DangerMouse

Thread Starter #3
I'm definitely going to look into some heat tape now, good idea. Not much room down there and I think the cables were touching the heat shield on the oem downpipe. Mountune must have noticed something like this when they designed their downpipe, being that they went with such a large diameter cat over what everyone else uses.

Did you guys recently receive these downpipes? I've been waiting for one that's been backordered since December.

OP
DangerMouse

DangerMouse

Thread Starter #5
Did you guys recently receive these downpipes? I've been waiting for one that's been backordered since December.

I bought mine used. I did see a few months ago I was going to buy new from mountune and it wasn't even on the website.

I bought mine used. I did see a few months ago I was going to buy new from mountune and it wasn't even on the website.
Ah okay, thanks. Just trying to determine if this is something that they may have corrected or if its something wrong with the latest production run. Honestly I'm considering just selling this thing if it ever shows up. Exhaust interference with the shift cables is unacceptable. I've purchased a bunch of Mountune parts and really haven't been impressed with the fitment of any of them.

OP
DangerMouse

DangerMouse

Thread Starter #7
I messed with it again today and I have a little more clearance, maybe 1/4", I'll keep an eye on them.

I wonder why I haven't heard about it before, I'm guessing it's not an issue, but I would rather be cautious than have issues.

kivnul

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
I messed with it again today and I have a little more clearance, maybe 1/4", I'll keep an eye on them.

I wonder why I haven't heard about it before, I'm guessing it's not an issue, but I would rather be cautious than have issues.
Glad you have been able to make room, I havn't taken a look at mine yet. Ill be under the car this weekend and will look again and shift/tape them up.

I also bought mine used (new in box) back in November or so. These downpipes have the largest cat (5") of any downpipe on the market. Clearance issues are to be expected tho it is weird that there is nobody saying anything about this in the past. It is possible that the routing of the cables has changed over the years so it could be hit or miss on who is affected.

OP
DangerMouse

DangerMouse

Thread Starter #10
Kivnul, where did you get the heat tape? Is it something I can get locally or does it need to be ordered?

I ordered this. Like I said, I have not used it yet. Reviews make it sound like it sticks on really well.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00029KC2A/
I've used a similar product in the past, I believe it was made by DEI. If its anything like the stuff I've used, yes it will stick quite well, and that's where it will be for eternity.

haste

1000 Post Club
Can we get a pic of this possible issue? Top of the engine bay and from below? I am curious. I heatwrapped my downpipe but I don't remember anything coming close to touching it during/after the install.

I run catless CPE downpipe. May be a difference between catted and not catted? I don't have a comparison pic of my stock downpipe.

Is it the cables to the bottom right in the bracket?
Closest pic I can find from my archives is here:

OP
DangerMouse

DangerMouse

Thread Starter #14
Yes those are the cables. You are fine with any brand even catted other than mountune. The cat is huge on mountune dp.

Fist pic is for orientation, both are from above but best I can do for now. Second pic shows more from the side.

https://imgur.com/a/Yd31s5r

kivnul

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
Yes those are the cables. You are fine with any brand even catted other than mountune. The cat is huge on mountune dp.

First pic is for orientation, both are from above but best I can do for now. Second pic shows more from the side.

https://imgur.com/a/Yd31s5r
I endorse these images. You did a better job of moving them than I have so far. It seems that the cables cross just before they exit the heat shield. It may be worthwhile to remove the shield temporarily to see if there is a better routing available.

OP
DangerMouse

DangerMouse

Thread Starter #17
I endorse these images. You did a better job of moving them than I have so far. It seems that the cables cross just before they exit the heat shield. It may be worthwhile to remove the shield temporarily to see if there is a better routing available.
I got lucky, I used a super long screw driver to bend the bracket up a little and it's enough for now.

I'm super tired of being under the car or I would check out the cable routing and see if I could gain some more clearance.

I'm going to order some heat wrap or tape or something and check it out when it gets here.