Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

powermatt's "I'll do more some day" build

green_henry

1000 Post Club
Not having a boost limiter on second gear is so much fun. It pulls so hard on its way to 60 now. I'd love to know how much that took off the 0-60 time, but that's not an easy thing to test where I live.

Also, it seems the Cobb tune makes much more use of the engine fan. It seems to turn on at about 195 F, and I've yet to see any temps over 200 F.
That's an interesting point about the 0-60 time. We see the dyno results all the time, but I don't recall seeing any before-and-after 0-60 results or 1/4 mile results. Has anybody posted these?

OP
P
Thread Starter #23
That's an interesting point about the 0-60 time. We see the dyno results all the time, but I don't recall seeing any before-and-after 0-60 results or 1/4 mile results. Has anybody posted these?
If raising the rev limiter lets it get to 60 in second gear, it could be as much as half a second. Otherwise I'd guess it's maybe a couple of tenths less. It feels faster, but the logical side of my brain says it's probably not all that much faster.

OP
P
Thread Starter #24
Did the 4DTech Sync 3 upgrade a couple days ago. Painless install, no issues so far. It's bloody expensive, but Sync 3 blows the old Sync 2 system completely out of the water, and now I have Android Auto.

OP
P
Thread Starter #25
No immediate plans right now, but I do have a couple things on my mind for "some day."

One is an intake. Relatively inexpensive, and it's the last thing I need to bump the car up to Cobb's stage 2 OTS tune. I've been avoiding it so far, because I live in California and right now my car looks completely stock to the untrained eye. Maybe Mishimoto's black intake? I like the intake box they use better than Cobb's intake plate... thing. We'll see.

In the much more expensive category, I'm thinking about 16" wheels and tires for improved ride quality. This is in the "not any time soon" category. I've been in a GTI for the past week, for reasons I won't go in to here, and the ride isn't *that* much better, really. The cost of wheels and tires doesn't really seem worth it to me right now, but maybe at some point in the future when I've got the cash to burn.

Awesome looking view of Garbage cans and nice looking car too. lol
Just a little jealousy from south Florida. I would have to drive to the top of a landfill to even come close to a view like that.

OP
P
Thread Starter #28
Awesome looking view of Garbage cans and nice looking car too. lol
Just a little jealousy from south Florida. I would have to drive to the top of a landfill to even come close to a view like that.
I've never owned a car that felt better suited for an area than the FiST does for the Bay. I moved out here from Florida myself, and while Florida does have some hidden gems here or there (mostly around lakes), the abundance of amazing driving roads out here is worthy of envy. :p

Info on the photo: this is Sierra Vista Point, with San Jose down in the valley. The high peak in the distance is Mt. Umunhum, which had a road to the peak paved about 6-9 months ago, and is the road that my FiST tried to overheat on (see a few posts back for the story).

OP
P
Thread Starter #29
Just ordered the Mishimoto intake in black. Stage 2 here I come.

OP
P
Thread Starter #30
Got the intake on, flashed stage 2, and took it for a drive. The blow-off valve is hilarious now. Need to do some more driving with it; Cobb's stage 2 doesn't really change anything below 3000 RPM, so it's hard to judge the changes in around town driving.

One slight issue is that the plastic OEM intake scoop popped off during the drive. I've tried to massage it a bit to see if there's a better position for the intake, but it seems as well settled as it can be. I'm a bit stumped on why that doesn't seem to be fitting very well. It seems like it's a half inch too high, but the air box is as low as I can make it, and seems to be in the same place it is in Mishimoto's install video (level with the battery just below where the postive contact attaches).

OP
P
Thread Starter #31
Think I got the fitment sorted out. I pulled a bit of the hard pipe out of the silicone section and re-seated the filter a little bit closer to the end of the pipe, and now everything seems to be in a good position. The intake duct stayed in place on the test drive I took it on. There does seem to be a little bit of rubbing (nothing serious) in the bend of the hard pipe, so I'm going to keep an eye on that.

The BOV continues to entertain. I got enough room for a solid third gear to redline pull (though traction isn't good enough to do it at WOT), and it felt really good.

IMG_20181216_115049.jpg

(Also just noticed the insulation has come out again. I'm going to glue that stuff down soon...)

OP
P
Thread Starter #32
Seems there's still a little bit of rubbing going on. There's a nice little shiny spot on the intake right where the corner of the head is in very close proximity to the inside bend of the metal part of the intake. It doesn't look like it's hitting it (it's not a dent), but there's definitely some light rubbing that has slowly worn off a 4-5mm wide spot in the powder coat. I've run out of ideas for adjusting it to get more clearance, so I'm probably just going to live with and have a look at it every so often.

OP
P
Thread Starter #33
Annual bonus time, so wheels are a go.

Sparco Assetto Gara's in black, 16x7, and I'll just be getting Indy 500's in the appropriate size.

OP
P
Thread Starter #35
Unfortunately this build has come to a permanent end. A couple of weeks ago, I was rear-ended at a stoplight. This is the second time I've been rear-ended in the Fiesta. No injuries either time.

The first time did about $4k worth of damage, but was fixable. The second time was estimated at $12k worth of damage, but the car was essentially unfixable. There was a ton of frame damage which would have required replacing welds and body sealers through the entire rear quarter of the car. My Fiesta ST was totaled, needless to say.

I debated for a long time about possibly buying another Fiesta ST and going right back at it, but I ultimately decided to change things up a bit. Yesterday I pulled the trigger on a 2019 VW Golf R. It's a very different car, but it also feels more like where I am in life now.

So long, it was a fun ride!

RubenZZZ

1000 Post Club
Unfortunately this build has come to a permanent end. A couple of weeks ago, I was rear-ended at a stoplight. This is the second time I've been rear-ended in the Fiesta. No injuries either time.

The first time did about $4k worth of damage, but was fixable. The second time was estimated at $12k worth of damage, but the car was essentially unfixable. There was a ton of frame damage which would have required replacing welds and body sealers through the entire rear quarter of the car. My Fiesta ST was totaled, needless to say.

I debated for a long time about possibly buying another Fiesta ST and going right back at it, but I ultimately decided to change things up a bit. Yesterday I pulled the trigger on a 2019 VW Golf R. It's a very different car, but it also feels more like where I am in life now.

So long, it was a fun ride!
Im glad to hear no one was hurt. Good luck with the Golf R. Itll be a nice upgrade. I know you'll enjoy that car as well.

Sooo..... Are you parting the mods out?

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

OP
P
Thread Starter #38
Im glad to hear no one was hurt. Good luck with the Golf R. Itll be a nice upgrade. I know you'll enjoy that car as well.

Sooo..... Are you parting the mods out?

I opted not to hold on to it. It actually happened during a business trip away from home, and getting it back would have just been more trouble than I wanted to deal with. Still, it'll make someone happy. The drivetrain is perfect, as is the interior (and the Recaros). If you find mine (it's in South Carolina), and stumble across this thread, just know the ECU is flashed with Cobb's stage 2, 91 octane tune (never got a chance to try the 93 tune).

No shade on the Fiesta ST, I loved the hell out of that car. Driving the Golf R, though... it's a different world. Comfortable and fast, but about twice as expensive. Thought about an RS too, but I think my days of putting up with that kind of ride quality are done.

RubenZZZ

1000 Post Club
No shade on the Fiesta ST, I loved the hell out of that car. Driving the Golf R, though... it's a different world. Comfortable and fast, but about twice as expensive. Thought about an RS too, but I think my days of putting up with that kind of ride quality are done.
Two diffferent types of hot hatches at different ends of the spectrum...

Fiesta ST = rowdy hooligan

Golf R = gentleman's hot hatch