Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Ravenol 75w80

danbfree

3000 Post Club
For midwest winters, the MTF-3 might actually be preferable. ;)
Actually, it would likely be for sure. Even though it's the same winter rating typically the flat 75w would be slightly thinner. Since I park in a garage at home and it rarely gets below 25F like ever, I just stuck to the 75w-80 but if you live where it's more cold than that in the winter then I'd likely go straight 75w myself.

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
Actually, it would likely be for sure. Even though it's the same winter rating typically the flat 75w would be slightly thinner. Since I park in a garage at home and it rarely gets below 25F like ever, I just stuck to the 75w-80 but if you live where it's more cold than that in the winter then I'd likely go straight 75w myself.
Even the stock fluid is finicky below 40° for the first couple of shifts.... Makes no diff on viscosity, cold is cold, lol!

TDavis

1000 Post Club
Even the stock fluid is finicky below 40° for the first couple of shifts.... Makes no diff on viscosity, cold is cold, lol!
This is also a thing I haven't experienced. Even when its cold my car shifts fine. Doesn't feel any harder to shift.

Its sat outside overnight in low teens too.

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
This is also a thing I haven't experienced. Even when its cold my car shifts fine. Doesn't feel any harder to shift.

It's not bad, just a couple notchier 1-2 shifts. It goes away after 5 min. Any manual I have ever owned was like this in frigid temps

brbauer2

Low teens, how warm [emoji3063]

-3 last night.
It's not bad, just a couple notchier 1-2 shifts. It goes away after 5 min. Any manual I have ever owned was like this in frigid temps
Yup, same for me.

Sent from my OnePlus 6T using Tapatalk

TDavis

1000 Post Club
Low teens, how warm [emoji3063]

-3 last night.Yup, same for me.

Sent from my OnePlus 6T using Tapatalk
That was a month or so ago. It was -5 last night. Still not much difference in feel.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Interesting, seems with mine it's just the very first 1st-2nd shift that seems rough unless I warm up the car for a good minute first or really take off slowly and cruise in first for a bit. Car had too few miles and still had OEM fluid last summer, but this is in any temps under fifty with the MTF-2.

TDavis

1000 Post Club
I let my car warm up for a few minutes minimum everytime. I don't like taking off when the car is cold.

TDavis

1000 Post Club
^ Same.

I've long believed that being within the operating temp range before being put under load is very important to the health and longevity of vehicle powertrains. Besides things like the expansion/contraction of materials, just watch any video of flow comparisons between lubricants at room temperature and freezing temperature and you'll come to understand why allowing a vehicle to warm up before you drive is so important. This is especially true for turbocharged engines as they can be more sensitive than NA engines.

Two of the biggest killers for transmissions, be they auto or manual, are temperatures outside of operating range and lack of lubrication, and these two are often related. I never even put my ST into gear until the temp gauge reads three or four bars, and I do not drive aggressively or spend much time in boost until I've been on the road for at least five minutes or so. I also allow extra warmup/low-load time in particularly cold weather. After driving, and especially if I've been driving aggressively or the weather is very hot, I allow the vehicle to idle for a couple of minutes before turning it off so that it can cool down gradually. This also keeps oil running through the turbo so that it doesn't sit and get baked on the inside of it. I've always had rather trouble-free experiences with my engines and transmissions, and I believe these habits play a role in that.

For another really extreme example of why I do this, I have seen a video of a guy doing an extended burnout in his turbo'd Miata and then immediately turning it off. His radiator or coolant expansion tank exploded a within a few seconds. [rofl]
Same exact way I act. I genuinely feel physically bad if I romp on the car when its cold [giggle]

According to the Cobb AP it reads around 120F on the coolant temp when the factory temp gauge reads into the "operating range" which I find interesting. I don't get into boost/I keep the revs low until my oil temp is atleast 160F and by that time my coolant is well into the operating range.

Mechanical sympathy is a term for it I believe

danbfree

3000 Post Club
I let my car warm up for a few minutes minimum everytime. I don't like taking off when the car is cold.
I hear you, and that's a whole other issue... I typically liked to wait the 30-ish seconds for the engine to at least idle down from a cold start, but now stretch that to a minute on the cold mornings but it's a fact that with modern cars they don't need warm up time, just no big boost until fully warm and driving it moderately helps warm it up faster... But indeed, with the gearbox on the coldest days a good full minute minimum is what I gravitate towards.

Jjt350

Just backing up the data, I put 2L of Ravenol in 45k after a fluid change by a Ford dealership. This is what came out from the dealership. L on right Qt on left:

Last edited:

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
I can’t get the pic to load but it was 2.4qt or 2.25L. [thumb]
[emoji1303]
Good! More evidence that 2+ liters should be in there, NOT the 1.67 that the manual states!

I'm tempted to add a a bit more now (I got about 2.1 of oem), gotta get that additional .15 so I can sleep at night [emoji54]

HardBoiledEgg

1000 Post Club
When I changed mine the last time.....i didn't let it all drain before adding the BG stuff......susssshhhhh

danbfree

3000 Post Club
^ Same.

I've long believed that being within the operating temp range before being put under load is very important to the health and longevity of vehicle powertrains. Besides things like the expansion/contraction of materials, just watch any video of flow comparisons between lubricants at room temperature and freezing temperature and you'll come to understand why allowing a vehicle to warm up before you drive is so important. This is especially true for turbocharged engines as they can be more sensitive than NA engines.

Two of the biggest killers for transmissions, be they auto or manual, are temperatures outside of operating range and lack of lubrication, and these two are often related. I never even put my ST into gear until the temp gauge reads three or four bars, and I do not drive aggressively or spend much time in boost until I've been on the road for at least five minutes or so. I also allow extra warmup/low-load time in particularly cold weather. After driving, and especially if I've been driving aggressively or the weather is very hot, I allow the vehicle to idle for a couple of minutes before turning it off so that it can cool down gradually. This also keeps oil running through the turbo so that it doesn't sit and get baked on the inside of it. I've always had rather trouble-free experiences with my engines and transmissions, and I believe these habits play a role in that.

For another really extreme example of why I do this, I have seen a video of a guy doing an extended burnout in his turbo'd Miata and then immediately turning it off. His radiator or coolant expansion tank exploded a within a few seconds. [rofl]
Agree to disagree on this one, you are spot on as far as older cars for sure. But with the flow characteristics of full synthetic oil, how dirty DI runs at idle and how marginal our cooling system is, I feel driving gently after only 1 minute of warm up and using little boost until coolant hits 180 and then simply driving easy with little boost your last minute of driving before turning off is better than idling, which increases temps on our cars... To each their own, just my thoughts for discussion.

PhoenixM3

Did the fluid change tonight and did see an immediate reduction in shift effort. I have just over 30k on my car, and the shifting was pretty smooth to begin with. It seems better now. Thanks to all who provided tips on DIY.

OP
TyphoonFiST

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #59
Did the fluid change tonight and did see an immediate reduction in shift effort. I have just over 30k on my car, and the shifting was pretty smooth to begin with. It seems better now. Thanks to all who provided tips on DIY.
Exactly what I've been saying from the beginning....good to see you have came to the light side of the force!

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk