Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Who has done a light flywheel?

jeffreylyon

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I've got the dreaded gearbox whine and I suspect that my dealer's going to replace it. While it's off I thought that I'd install a lightened flywheel because..., why not? Has anyone got that route and, if so, would you do it again?

Before you mention it, I've got a great dealer and I'm pretty sure that he'd be happy to charge me an hour's labor to install the flywheel without dinging the warranty.

green_henry

1000 Post Club
My former daily driver and track car was a Acura TSX. When it got to 100k, I replaced the original clutch and flywheel with an Exedy stage 1 clutch and lightweight flywheel. It was fun on the open road and at the track, but it was a big downgrade in stop and go traffic (which is almost every day here in the Bay Area). I wouldn't do it again on a daily driver -- but the FiST is a lot torquier (is that a word?), so maybe it wouldn't be so bad (?)

OP
J

jeffreylyon

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #4
I've had a similar experience with other cars but I'm thinking that, because even the lightened flywheel is rather heavy in comparison to a lightened replacement for a non-dual mass flywheel (like I think you had in your TSX) that it may be more livable in traffic.

I'd love to hear from anyone that's installed a lightened flywheel on a FiST!

jeff

2000 Post Club
[MENTION=4142]SwAp GaS[/MENTION] did it recently maybe he will chime in.

I've got the dreaded gearbox whine and I suspect that my dealer's going to replace it. While it's off I thought that I'd install a lightened flywheel because..., why not? Has anyone got that route and, if so, would you do it again?

Before you mention it, I've got a great dealer and I'm pretty sure that he'd be happy to charge me an hour's labor to install the flywheel without dinging the warranty.

I replaced mine and I LOVE it!!! I went with the one piece flywheel from pumaspeed that I bought off the forums. The car Rev's twice as fast as before and the acceleration is amazing!!
I would stay away from the 2 piece designs because they can come apart and destroy the clutch among other things.. My assembly can use the stock clutch which im still using without any issues or it will accept after market clutch's also. Its made By TTV Racing and its called the Eco Boost light weight approx. 11.0lbs it will save you about 25-26lbs of unsung weight if I remember correctly. What Kind of whine are you hearing? is it all the time or just when your driving? It should take no longer then 10 minutes to install once the transmission is removed.

OP
J

jeffreylyon

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #7
I replaced mine and I LOVE it!!! I went with the one piece flywheel from pumaspeed that I bought off the forums. The car Rev's twice as fast as before and the acceleration is amazing!!
I would stay away from the 2 piece designs because they can come apart and destroy the clutch among other things.. My assembly can use the stock clutch which im still using without any issues or it will accept after market clutch's also. Its made By TTV Racing and its called the Eco Boost light weight approx. 11.0lbs it will save you about 25-26lbs of unsung weight if I remember correctly. What Kind of whine are you hearing? is it all the time or just when your driving? It should take no longer then 10 minutes to install once the transmission is removed.
No funny noises (chatter) and still reasonable pull-away on the street? I think that a two piece flywheel that uses threaded fasteners should be safe; I know that some have the friction plate staked on and I'll stay away from any of those.

I've got a whine in +3rd on power. First and second seem ok and the whine goes away off-throttle.

Thanks for the advice [MENTION=4142]SwAp GaS[/MENTION]!

OP
J

jeffreylyon

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #8
No funny noises (chatter) and still reasonable pull-away on the street? I think that a two piece flywheel that uses threaded fasteners should be safe; I know that some have the friction plate staked on and I'll stay away from any of those.

I've got a whine in +3rd on power. First and second seem ok and the whine goes away off-throttle.

It takes a little bit of getting use at first but its perfect on the street, I normally drive mine on the everyday, there is a slight chatter when its in neutral but nothing annoying at all.
I have seen 2 piece light weight fly wheels come apart often on the focus ST at the ford dealer ship I use to work at. The TTV racing is all one piece Billet Stainless steel and a Beautiful
Machined flywheel!! and its about the same price as other light weight fly wheels. But I would say you can get one or the other I got the one piece for durability and longevity. [thumb]

Ford Community Posts