Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Woods247 BrokeFiST Build

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
Direct from Ford. After exchange rate and int'l shipping it comes out to $680ish. Just make sure you get German housings not UK.

OP
Woods247

Woods247

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #104
I could do something like this for high beams and remove it in the Spring when days are longer and the time changes:

By the time I buy the lightbar and lights I’ll probably be close to $680 though. I bet I could find used sets fairly reasonably priced in my off-road groups. The Euro headlights are probably awesome with LED or HID bulb upgrades as well. The search is on.

TDavis

1000 Post Club
Woods, you have the Falken Azenis tires correct? How do you like them for the track? I'm exploring tire options and besides the Federal RS-RRs. The Azenis is one of my options as well.

slopoke

I learned something about my car yesterday. The headlights really, really suck. They’re worse than my 83 Jeep headlights. WTF?! I usually only drive in the dark on the way to the track early in the morning but yesterday I spent a total of six hours in the dark and was amazed at how shitty they are, even with H9 bulbs.. Wow. I’m not paying $800 for Euro lights so something else needs to happen. Maybe I’ll add change my fogs out to the Pro version. We’ll see.
Maybe go LED H11's? It's been a long time since I researched LEDs and with the past problems with no clean cutoff and scatter, I went with the H9s. The light output for me is OK, but I don't travel many roads without some sort of lighting. Looking at LEDs, it seems as though the scatter issue is not so bad with the new LEDs that are side by side. If I'd done research on the LEDs, I would have probably went with LEDs, instead of the H9s. The Hikari H11s are getting good reviews and at $80.00 (with coupon code"bulbfact") the price point seems ok. There is a Hikari version with CREE LEDs that are cheaper. There are LEDs with a bit lower output that have a good rating and nice price point as well. The Techmax, looks like a good balance of additional lighting and price.

http://bulbfacts.com/led-kits/chart/

OP
Woods247

Woods247

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #107
Woods, you have the Falken Azenis tires correct? How do you like them for the track? I'm exploring tire options and besides the Federal RS-RRs. The Azenis is one of my options as well.
Funny you mention this now. I do have 215/40-17 RT615K+ now and love them. I just picked up a set of track wheels on which I plan to mount 215/40-17 RSRR. I want to see how they compare on track. The RT615K+ is quiet, so it’s probably a better choice for dual-purpose usage if you dislike tire noise as much as I do. You cannot go wrong with RT615K+. Price is the only reason I want to try the RSRR. I had RSRs on a previous car and the noise really bothered me on the street. It didn’t matter on the track though.

OP
Woods247

Woods247

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #108
Maybe go LED H11's? It's been a long time since I researched LEDs and with the past problems with no clean cutoff and scatter, I went with the H9s. The light output for me is OK, but I don't travel many roads without some sort of lighting. Looking at LEDs, it seems as though the scatter issue is not so bad with the new LEDs that are side by side. If I'd done research on the LEDs, I would have probably went with LEDs, instead of the H9s. The Hikari H11s are getting good reviews and at $80.00 (with coupon code"bulbfact") the price point seems ok. There is a Hikari version with CREE LEDs that are cheaper. There are LEDs with a bit lower output that have a good rating and nice price point as well. The Techmax, looks like a good balance of additional lighting and price.

http://bulbfacts.com/led-kits/chart/
Thanks for this link! A couple of years ago I tried the LED kit sold by XenonDepot and they sucked. The H9 is better and costs significantly less. However, $80 isn’t bad. I’ll give the Hikari a shot and see if there is improvement. Thanks again for the tip.

TDavis

1000 Post Club
Funny you mention this now. I do have 215/40-17 RT615K+ now and love them. I just picked up a set of track wheels on which I plan to mount 215/40-17 RSRR. I want to see how they compare on track. The RT615K+ is quiet, so it’s probably a better choice for dual-purpose usage if you dislike tire noise as much as I do. You cannot go wrong with RT615K+. Price is the only reason I want to try the RSRR. I had RSRs on a previous car and the noise really bothered me on the street. It didn’t matter on the track though.
Lemme what you think in the comparison between the two. Tire noise isn't really a concern for me so whatever one gives good grip/decent treadlife while not getting greasy in hot temps is the one for me.

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
Azenis RT615K+ is great for track work, not the best option for autocross. They don't heat up quick enough for autox, but are perfect for track days. I've only done one track day on mine so far, but this is my experience from countless track hours with the old RT615K and the new RT615K+ on my Sentra Lemons racecar.

Woods, did your wheel spokes actually touch the caliper or just too close for comfort?

615 always overheated too much for me in the past. I'm in love with hankook RS4 for a combo of long lasting and grip. I haven't looked to see if they have anything in our sizes, but I kind of doubt it.

OP
Woods247

Woods247

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #115
Azenis RT615K+ is great for track work, not the best option for autocross. They don't heat up quick enough for autox, but are perfect for track days. I've only done one track day on mine so far, but this is my experience from countless track hours with the old RT615K and the new RT615K+ on my Sentra Lemons racecar.

Woods, did your wheel spokes actually touch the caliper or just too close for comfort?
They actually touch. A 2-3mm spacer would be fine but I ordered 5MM H&R because Whoosh had stock.

OP
Woods247

Woods247

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #117
Not my favorite mod but it’ll eventually pay for itself since I can tow a small tire trailer now. I’m telling myself that anyway..

OP
Woods247

Woods247

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #119
Is it strong enough to handle a tow hook (IF you did not already have one on the beam axle)?
Dave uses a custom hook in his. I’m sure they could pull me out of gravel or wet grass by hooking up to it. I plan to remove the rear bumper cover and install a hook in the rear beam sometime soon.

OP
Woods247

Woods247

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #120
615 always overheated too much for me in the past. I'm in love with hankook RS4 for a combo of long lasting and grip. I haven't looked to see if they have anything in our sizes, but I kind of doubt it.
I looked awhile ago and they do not.. Slim pickings in 215/40r17. I have to run 17s.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MKVIIST Fiesta of The Month Winners 5