Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

OEM lifespan clutch, struts, timing belt

HBEcoBeaST

So planning ahead on my budget build and wanted to know approximately at how many miles I should expect to get out of the following components. Car is driven spirited+ and sees cone courses every now and then but never abused. 35,000 miles and going strong, stage 1 E30 but plan on replacing the turbo sometime.

Clutch lifespan?

Strut lifespan?

Timing belt change interval? I've heard conflicting info here.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Struts are 50k-75k clutch is debatable..... Just don't run gobs of torque thru it and Don't utilize nitrous like another member has done. Timing belts are mostly a 90k deal....[raceflag] Another member has either 150k or km on his with not many issues also.

OP
HBEcoBeaST

HBEcoBeaST

Thread Starter #3
Struts are 50k-75k clutch is debatable..... Just don't run gobs of torque thru it and Don't utilize nitrous like another member has done. Timing belts are mostly a 90k deal....[raceflag] Another member has either 150k or km on his with not many issues also.
Thanks.

I figured the struts were 50K since especially my rears are still stiff as hell at 35k. Was thinking about koni orange and mild springs for ride improvement.... But more scrapes and I need something livable.

Is there an 'average' clutch lifespan? Figure I'll get an lsd installed when I do the clutch.

Is there a recommended service interval for the timing belt? I've seen 100K and 150k. Definitely not trying to cheap out for a few extra miles and have it break....

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Never *had* to replace struts on a vehicle. That said, with very advanced mileage, (well over 300k,) the OEM struts on my prior vehicle would get a resonating bounce only under the specific conditions of frigid (sub-17°F) conditions and on a specific stretch of highway. This gradually increased with mileage but I was rarely on that stretch of highway and under those frigid temps.

I've known some folks to replace their struts + springs when the reality was, they only needed an alignment. Struts are what keep the springs from going bouncy-bouncy; they dampen natural spring movement and potentially prevent over-extention - which can unseat and/or break them. (note: struts would have to physically break to allow over-extension) The springs control ride height and ride quality.

If you're bouncing around like you're in a Snoop Dog music video, that is struts. Struts can be tested when removed from the assembly; there's a good YouTube video how-to. If they're oil-based struts and are visibly leaking then they need to be replaced.

If it feels like you're riding on the ground, slamming on normal bumps, or bottoming-out, that is likely spring related.

The ST's stock strut on particular road surfaces, has been known to resonate and be particularly bouncy. So you'll have to know what "normal" is before you go assuming that they're in need of replacement.

OP
HBEcoBeaST

HBEcoBeaST

Thread Starter #5
Never *had* to replace struts on a vehicle. That said, with very advanced mileage, (well over 300k,) the OEM struts on my prior vehicle would get a resonating bounce only under the specific conditions of frigid (sub-17°F) conditions and on a specific stretch of highway. This gradually increased with mileage but I was rarely on that stretch of highway and under those frigid temps.

I've known some folks to replace their struts + springs when the reality was, they only needed an alignment. Struts are what keep the springs from going bouncy-bouncy; they dampen natural spring movement and potentially prevent over-extention - which can unseat and/or break them. (note: struts would have to physically break to allow over-extension) The springs control ride height and ride quality.

If you're bouncing around like you're in a Snoop Dog music video, that is struts. Struts can be tested when removed from the assembly; there's a good YouTube video how-to. If they're oil-based struts and are visibly leaking then they need to be replaced.

If it feels like you're riding on the ground, slamming on normal bumps, or bottoming-out, that is likely spring related.

The ST's stock strut on particular road surfaces, has been known to resonate and be particularly bouncy. So you'll have to know what "normal" is before you go assuming that they're in need of replacement.
Definitely don't feel like my struts are going was just getting a feel as I have been getting an inkling for more lows. Debating on just getting springs or replacing struts too.

In other vehicles I've definitely had struts wear out which caused in bottoming out, squishy ride.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
That sounds like springs. The strut(s) may have actually proved fine, when tested. Because of the work involved and lack of understanding on how the suspension works, people usually replace them as a set anyway; despite the significantly higher expense on parts.

ROCKYFiestta

any input on the clutch lifespan? even solid opinions would be appreciated im at 35k and was wondering if i am getting close to it. so far no issues with my clutch but i just like to get it done before it gets close to the timeframe. had the clutch on my evo 8 go out and the hood vent was smoking like a chimney lol [giggle]

Usually 50k to 75 on dampeners. 150k+ on clutch. 90k to 100k on timing belt is on the safe side for an interference engine.

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
any input on the clutch lifespan? even solid opinions would be appreciated im at 35k and was wondering if i am getting close to it. so far no issues with my clutch but i just like to get it done before it gets close to the timeframe. had the clutch on my evo 8 go out and the hood vent was smoking like a chimney lol [giggle]
Clutch life (along with the life of every other component of the car) depends mostly on how you use it.

If you race it, go for 0-60 times, or like to do burnouts, it won't last as long.

The B-6 is a sturdy, if clunky and clattery, tranny. It's used in many Fords, including the FoST. If you get a good one, and break it in gently, it'll last for the life of the car. It routinely handles more power than most FiSTs make. The clutch is weird, but it should last 100,000 at least, if you aren't beating on it. Twice that, if you're a mileage jockey.

Last edited:

Intuit

3000 Post Club
That purely depends on the driver. I never had to replace it on a prior car with nearly 330k. Completely different vehicle but a cousin could burn'em out in less than 20k. On an embarrassing misdiagnosis, I had mine out somewhere between 180 and 210 IIRC, and it was just as thick as the replacement I bought. So it would've lasted the life of the vehicle easy. The OEM was a high quality six-spring Daikin clutch disc. The replacement was only four and by comparison, felt very cheap.

hi i’m from indonesia, i have a trouble after ford dealers updating the transmission software on my car the trouble is when i’m released the brake pedal the car gliding is not normal, before updating the software,the car is normal
any idea about this?
thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
hi i’m from indonesia, i have a trouble after ford dealers updating the transmission software on my car the trouble is when i’m released the brake pedal the car gliding is not normal, before updating the software,the car is normal
any idea about this?
thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Is this an auto transmission?

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Welcome to the forums Kristian! Our particular iteration of the Fiesta is only available with a manual transmission.

I will try to keep in mind that there may be some issues with language translation. But, to make an attempt at answering your question... Let us pretend that you're coasting along at 40kph and you release the brake pedal? What happens? Does it rapidly decelerate? Does it coast along as if in neutral? Does it start to accelerate?