Welcome to Fiesta ST Forum, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Register

See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Member 96 Rep Points HBEcoBeaST's Avatar
    0%
    Rate Transaction

Member #
    Medals
    Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 50 Rep Points  
    State
    CA
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OEM lifespan clutch, struts, timing belt

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    So planning ahead on my budget build and wanted to know approximately at how many miles I should expect to get out of the following components. Car is driven spirited+ and sees cone courses every now and then but never abused. 35,000 miles and going strong, stage 1 E30 but plan on replacing the turbo sometime.

Clutch lifespan?

Strut lifespan?

Timing belt change interval? I've heard conflicting info here.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Senior Member 927 Rep Points TyphoonFiST's Avatar
    Ratings | Rate Transaction

Member #
    Medals
    Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 50 Rep Points Earned First 100 Rep Points Earned First 200 Rep Points  
    State
    MN
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Struts are 50k-75k clutch is debatable..... Just don't run gobs of torque thru it and Don't utilize nitrous like another member has done. Timing belts are mostly a 90k deal.... Another member has either 150k or km on his with not many issues also.
    Is this your bush? Are you king of the forest?

0%
    Rate Transaction

Member #
    Medals
    State
    CA
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TyphoonFiST View Post
    Struts are 50k-75k clutch is debatable..... Just don't run gobs of torque thru it and Don't utilize nitrous like another member has done. Timing belts are mostly a 90k deal.... Another member has either 150k or km on his with not many issues also.
    Thanks.

I figured the struts were 50K since especially my rears are still stiff as hell at 35k. Was thinking about koni orange and mild springs for ride improvement.... But more scrapes and I need something livable.

Is there an 'average' clutch lifespan? Figure I'll get an lsd installed when I do the clutch.

Is there a recommended service interval for the timing belt? I've seen 100K and 150k. Definitely not trying to cheap out for a few extra miles and have it break....

Senior Member 344 Rep Points

Member #
    Medals
    Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 50 Rep Points Earned First 100 Rep Points Earned First 200 Rep Points  
    State
    OH
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Never *had* to replace struts on a vehicle. That said, with very advanced mileage, (well over 300k,) the OEM struts on my prior vehicle would get a resonating bounce only under the specific conditions of frigid (sub-17°F) conditions and on a specific stretch of highway. This gradually increased with mileage but I was rarely on that stretch of highway and under those frigid temps.

I've known some folks to replace their struts + springs when the reality was, they only needed an alignment. Struts are what keep the springs from going bouncy-bouncy; they dampen natural spring movement and potentially prevent over-extention - which can unseat and/or break them. (note: struts would have to physically break to allow over-extension) The springs control ride height and ride quality.

If you're bouncing around like you're in a Snoop Dog music video, that is struts. Struts can be tested when removed from the assembly; there's a good YouTube video how-to. If they're oil-based struts and are visibly leaking then they need to be replaced.

If it feels like you're riding on the ground, slamming on normal bumps, or bottoming-out, that is likely spring related.

The ST's stock strut on particular road surfaces, has been known to resonate and be particularly bouncy. So you'll have to know what "normal" is before you go assuming that they're in need of replacement.
    2016 Ford Fiesta ST Kona Blue ; Engine, Suspension will remain untouched ; Southwest Ohio ; Winter: 215/45R17 Continental ; Seasonal: 205/40R17 Bridgestone

0%
    Rate Transaction

Member #
    Medals
    State
    CA
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Intuit View Post
    Never *had* to replace struts on a vehicle. That said, with very advanced mileage, (well over 300k,) the OEM struts on my prior vehicle would get a resonating bounce only under the specific conditions of frigid (sub-17°F) conditions and on a specific stretch of highway. This gradually increased with mileage but I was rarely on that stretch of highway and under those frigid temps.

I've known some folks to replace their struts + springs when the reality was, they only needed an alignment. Struts are what keep the springs from going bouncy-bouncy; they dampen natural spring movement and potentially prevent over-extention - which can unseat and/or break them. (note: struts would have to physically break to allow over-extension) The springs control ride height and ride quality.

If you're bouncing around like you're in a Snoop Dog music video, that is struts. Struts can be tested when removed from the assembly; there's a good YouTube video how-to. If they're oil-based struts and are visibly leaking then they need to be replaced.

If it feels like you're riding on the ground, slamming on normal bumps, or bottoming-out, that is likely spring related.

The ST's stock strut on particular road surfaces, has been known to resonate and be particularly bouncy. So you'll have to know what "normal" is before you go assuming that they're in need of replacement.
    Definitely don't feel like my struts are going was just getting a feel as I have been getting an inkling for more lows. Debating on just getting springs or replacing struts too.

In other vehicles I've definitely had struts wear out which caused in bottoming out, squishy ride.

Member #
    Medals
    State
    OH
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That sounds like springs. The strut(s) may have actually proved fine, when tested. Because of the work involved and lack of understanding on how the suspension works, people usually replace them as a set anyway; despite the significantly higher expense on parts.
    2016 Ford Fiesta ST Kona Blue ; Engine, Suspension will remain untouched ; Southwest Ohio ; Winter: 215/45R17 Continental ; Seasonal: 205/40R17 Bridgestone

New Member 33 Rep Points

Member #
    Medals
    Earned First 25 Rep Points  
    State
    MS
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought the FiST had a timing chain?
    2017 magnetic, black wheels, rallyarmor mudflaps, Ford CF ST knob, interior light upgrade, CPE rmm, k&n filter, turbosmart BOV, mojo short shift, COBB ap stage 1

0%
    Rate Transaction

Member #
    Medals
    Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 50 Rep Points Earned First 100 Rep Points  
    State
    IN
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sakel View Post
    No, unfortunately it has a belt.

2017 Fiesta ST
    Navigation, Smoke Storm, Sunroof
    -RamAir filter
    -MBRP hot side pipe
    -Maximizer Turbo-back Exhaust

WISH LIST/WTB
    -Cobb AP, ST200 air box, Induction hose, Front Mount

Member #
    Medals
    State
    OH
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sakel View Post
    Link: https://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/t...l=1#post281762

New Member 33 Rep Points

Member #
    Medals
    Earned First 25 Rep Points  
    State
    MS
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Ahh. Just double checked in my manual, says to replace every 150,000 miles
    2017 magnetic, black wheels, rallyarmor mudflaps, Ford CF ST knob, interior light upgrade, CPE rmm, k&n filter, turbosmart BOV, mojo short shift, COBB ap stage 1

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast