Welcome to Fiesta ST Forum, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Register

User Tag List

Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Engine Whine
0 Likes

  1. #1
    Member 175 Rep Points zanethan's Avatar
    0%
    Rate Transaction

    Member #
    5941
    Medals
    Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 50 Rep Points Earned First 100 Rep Points  
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Charlotte
    State
    Non-US
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    493
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Likes Received
    175


    Engine Whine

    Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    I'm not sure if this is normal or not. I'm getting a fairly pronounced engine whine, which might or might not have always been there. It almost sounds like a power steering whine. It changes pitch and amplitude with RPMs. I've only recently noticed it due to parking in a parking garage. Happens when it's in neutral or in gear. Anyone else notice this on their FiST?

  2. #2
    New Member
    0%
    Rate Transaction

    Member #
    9684
    Medals
     
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Country
    Canada
    Posts
    39
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Likes Received
    3


    Quote Originally Posted by zanethan View Post
    I'm not sure if this is normal or not. I'm getting a fairly pronounced engine whine, which might or might not have always been there. It almost sounds like a power steering whine. It changes pitch and amplitude with RPMs. I've only recently noticed it due to parking in a parking garage. Happens when it's in neutral or in gear. Anyone else notice this on their FiST?
    I can’t say I have ever heard a whine, but I might have just chalked it up to nothing. It could be coming from the transmission, drive belt or any number of things. A video might help a bit.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  3. #3
    Member 175 Rep Points zanethan's Avatar
    0%
    Rate Transaction

    Member #
    5941
    Medals
    Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 50 Rep Points Earned First 100 Rep Points  
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Charlotte
    State
    Non-US
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    493
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Likes Received
    175


    Not sure if this will work, but here's a video. The noise is much more pronounced in person.


  4. #4
    New Member
    0%
    Rate Transaction

    Member #
    9684
    Medals
     
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Country
    Canada
    Posts
    39
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Likes Received
    3


    Quote Originally Posted by zanethan View Post
    Not sure if this will work, but here's a video. The noise is much more pronounced in person.

    Everything sounds about normal, however if there was anything I could pick was less of a whine more like “errrring” or worn bearing kinda of noise. When my ac clutch seized on my last car it would make a noise like similar to that. The way to diagnose a worn bearing is that the serpentine belt off and start to car, if the noises stops one of your bearing is worn and you have to find it. This might help you get a idea of what I’m talking about I don’t know much about the fiesta st serpentine belt system but I would look it look it up.


    https://youtu.be/AEUe6uKxTv8

  5. #5
    Member 175 Rep Points zanethan's Avatar
    0%
    Rate Transaction

    Member #
    5941
    Medals
    Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 50 Rep Points Earned First 100 Rep Points  
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Charlotte
    State
    Non-US
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    493
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Likes Received
    175


    Quote Originally Posted by syasar View Post
    Everything sounds about normal, however if there was anything I could pick was less of a whine more like “errrring” or worn bearing kinda of noise. When my ac clutch seized on my last car it would make a noise like similar to that. The way to diagnose a worn bearing is that the serpentine belt off and start to car, if the noises stops one of your bearing is worn and you have to find it. This might help you get a idea of what I’m talking about I don’t know much about the fiesta st serpentine belt system but I would look it look it up.


    https://youtu.be/AEUe6uKxTv8
    I think the "erring" and the whine are the same noise. I'm thinking it might be the input shaft bearing on the transmission. Anyone know if this would still make a noise when not in gear?

  6. #6
    New Member
    0%
    Rate Transaction

    Member #
    9684
    Medals
     
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Country
    Canada
    Posts
    39
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Likes Received
    3


    If it where the input shaft bearing, in neutral or the clutch pressed in the noise should disappear.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  7. #7
    Member 175 Rep Points zanethan's Avatar
    0%
    Rate Transaction

    Member #
    5941
    Medals
    Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 50 Rep Points Earned First 100 Rep Points  
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Charlotte
    State
    Non-US
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    493
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Likes Received
    175


    Quote Originally Posted by syasar View Post
    If it where the input shaft bearing, in neutral or the clutch pressed in the noise should disappear.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Wouldn't that be the throw out bearing? (My technical terminology is severely lacking in the transmission dept.)

  8. #8
    New Member
    0%
    Rate Transaction

    Member #
    9684
    Medals
     
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Country
    Canada
    Posts
    39
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Likes Received
    3


    Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Quote Originally Posted by zanethan View Post
    Wouldn't that be the throw out bearing? (My technical terminology is severely lacking in the transmission dept.)
    So the a throw out bearing would only make noise when the clutch is depressed. This bearing is part of the clutch assembly.

    However the input shaft bearing is deep in the transmission and will make noise when ever the car is gear and noise will stop when the engine is not in connection with the transmission. I think this is fairly rare and at the atleast I haven’t heard the issues with ours car, if it just that a new transmission would be only reasonable option as labour hours would be tremendous.

    But I don’t think it’s that I’m not expert but, u should always be able to hear it if it was the input shaft bearing not just in a garage it would be very pronounced like a spun rod but quiter.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

 

 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •