Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Engine Whine

zanethan

I'm not sure if this is normal or not. I'm getting a fairly pronounced engine whine, which might or might not have always been there. It almost sounds like a power steering whine. It changes pitch and amplitude with RPMs. I've only recently noticed it due to parking in a parking garage. Happens when it's in neutral or in gear. Anyone else notice this on their FiST?

I'm not sure if this is normal or not. I'm getting a fairly pronounced engine whine, which might or might not have always been there. It almost sounds like a power steering whine. It changes pitch and amplitude with RPMs. I've only recently noticed it due to parking in a parking garage. Happens when it's in neutral or in gear. Anyone else notice this on their FiST?
I can’t say I have ever heard a whine, but I might have just chalked it up to nothing. It could be coming from the transmission, drive belt or any number of things. A video might help a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure if this will work, but here's a video. The noise is much more pronounced in person.

https://vimeo.com/270218525
Everything sounds about normal, however if there was anything I could pick was less of a whine more like “errrring” or worn bearing kinda of noise. When my ac clutch seized on my last car it would make a noise like similar to that. The way to diagnose a worn bearing is that the serpentine belt off and start to car, if the noises stops one of your bearing is worn and you have to find it. This might help you get a idea of what I’m talking about I don’t know much about the fiesta st serpentine belt system but I would look it look it up.

https://youtu.be/AEUe6uKxTv8

OP
zanethan

zanethan

Thread Starter #5
Everything sounds about normal, however if there was anything I could pick was less of a whine more like “errrring” or worn bearing kinda of noise. When my ac clutch seized on my last car it would make a noise like similar to that. The way to diagnose a worn bearing is that the serpentine belt off and start to car, if the noises stops one of your bearing is worn and you have to find it. This might help you get a idea of what I’m talking about I don’t know much about the fiesta st serpentine belt system but I would look it look it up.

https://youtu.be/AEUe6uKxTv8
I think the "erring" and the whine are the same noise. I'm thinking it might be the input shaft bearing on the transmission. Anyone know if this would still make a noise when not in gear?

If it where the input shaft bearing, in neutral or the clutch pressed in the noise should disappear.

OP
zanethan

zanethan

Thread Starter #7
If it where the input shaft bearing, in neutral or the clutch pressed in the noise should disappear.

Wouldn't that be the throw out bearing? (My technical terminology is severely lacking in the transmission dept.)

Wouldn't that be the throw out bearing? (My technical terminology is severely lacking in the transmission dept.)
So the a throw out bearing would only make noise when the clutch is depressed. This bearing is part of the clutch assembly.

However the input shaft bearing is deep in the transmission and will make noise when ever the car is gear and noise will stop when the engine is not in connection with the transmission. I think this is fairly rare and at the atleast I haven’t heard the issues with ours car, if it just that a new transmission would be only reasonable option as labour hours would be tremendous.

But I don’t think it’s that I’m not expert but, u should always be able to hear it if it was the input shaft bearing not just in a garage it would be very pronounced like a spun rod but quiter.