Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Gas spilling when fill up

So ever since I got my ST, when ever I filled up the car would always spill alittle gas once the pump clicks off, I keep the pump in and wait a few seconds before pulling the pump out.

I think I’m just going to stop filling the tank for the time being as spilling gas isn’t ideal. I’m just wondering what the issue might be so I can fix, mine is a 2014 I think I only have the Powertrain warranty; don’t think these kind of things are covered anymore.

I know some of these cars have had these issue but I can’t find any solution thus far. Anyone have any luck with this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Only time mine did was when I first got it and didn't realize you should NEVER top it off. Fully insert the nozzle in the filler neck and remove when the pump clicks off.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

OP
syasar
Thread Starter #3
Only time mine did was when I first got it and didn't realize you should NEVER top it off. Fully insert the nozzle in the filler neck and remove when the pump clicks off.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk
I have never top it off tho. Maybe it not seated in properly, I have hard time with the pump as most them have the large rubber seal around them makes it hard to keep it pushed in. I have tried two gas stations with no avail

Plainrt

1000 Post Club
Mine has done since new. Now I’m careful to stop before that. Nothing like 1/2 gal of gas all over car and on ground.

cxwrench

I've got a '14. Never happened to me. I never top-off and when the pump clicks off I raise the handle a bit so any gas left will drain out, then carefully remove the pump. Works every time. *I am in CA and our nozzles are a little different than other parts of the country, right?*

Plainrt

1000 Post Club
I've got a '14. Never happened to me. I never top-off and when the pump clicks off I raise the handle a bit so any gas left will drain out, then carefully remove the pump. Works every time. *I am in CA and our nozzles are a little different than other parts of the country, right?*

Mine doesn’t click off till 1/2 gal of gas on ground. I’d think this a safety issue but what do I know.

Plainrt

1000 Post Club
Lol I kept forgetting to bring up to dealer as I got use to watching it as fill it up. I never let it fill by itself now. I have seen few others with same issue.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Mine doesn’t click off till 1/2 gal of gas on ground. I’d think this a safety issue but what do I know.
Its an Emission issue and I do believe those are a 7yr 70k warranty..id bring it in or call a local dealer as the problem lies most likely within the filler neck itself! [clap]

slopoke

I found that I have to wait about 30 seconds or so before pulling the nozzle out. If I take it out sooner, I get fuel spillage.

OP
syasar
Thread Starter #13
honestly once it click gas drips out and once I pull the pump the rest of it drips out. For me however it’s not 1/2 gallon, very minute amount but still it’s gas there should be none. Its like this guys video, he had his Evac system completely replaced under the warranty, can’t remember where I read that tho. It might just be a single seal somewhere in the system.

https://youtu.be/vMd_nG7lGVA

I think I’m going to bring it up when I go into the dealer for the recall I’m still waiting on.

Mine will occasionally spill over, but I think it's more a problem of the pump itself and not the fault of the car.
I'm thinking its the pump's shut off response time, some are quicker to respond than others.

So technically the fuel spilling thing is normal. There's an overflow pipe at the top of the filler neck and the outlet of that dumps right above the rear axle. It's visible in the image below:

I guess it's a sort of safety feature. Ford reasoned that it's better to let gas spill on the ground instead of being splashed back out of the filler neck and on your shoes.

Disclaimer - it should only be spilling gas if you've WAY overfilled. Like well past when the pump clicks off. If it's spilling after a standard fill, or during filling, there's probably a problem with your EVAP system, most likely the vapor canister/vent solenoid.

As you fill, gasoline displaces air/vapor in the tank. That needs to escape, and in an normally functioning system it's routed out of the fuel tank, into the vapor canister, through the vent solenoid, and out to atmosphere via the vent hose (also near the filler neck).

If the canister is contaminated with fuel (from previous overfills) or if the vent solenoid is stuck closed, air will push it's way up the filler neck and push gas out of the overflow & onto the ground.

Plainrt

1000 Post Club
Mine has done since it’s first fill up brand new. It doesn’t click off till has ton of gas running done the side of car. Never was big concern. I’m just careful with it.

Disclaimer - it should only be spilling gas if you've WAY overfilled. Like well past when the pump clicks off. If it's spilling after a standard fill, or during filling, there's probably a problem with your EVAP system, most likely the vapor canister/vent solenoid.

As you fill, gasoline displaces air/vapor in the tank. That needs to escape, and in an normally functioning system it's routed out of the fuel tank, into the vapor canister, through the vent solenoid, and out to atmosphere via the vent hose (also near the filler neck).
Mine has never overflowed on fill up but an evap leak also came to mind. I get the check engine light from time to time that indicates “an evaporative emission system leak” still haven’t solved/found my issue.

IMG_9295.JPG

OP
syasar
Thread Starter #20
i have not gotten a celthus far, however I was wondering.

I went to a car meet recently and a met up with a guy with a 2017 mustang, I told him about the gas spilling and he showed me his fuel neck and pointed out there was a seal on his that was missing on my car. Not sure if the necks are the same, nevertheless I like to confirm there nothing missing on mine. I have look for images of the fuel neck on the st everywhere can’t find a image, if anyone has a 2014 could someone post a image of it maybe I’m missing something, i think any st would do. I appreciate it I like to get to the bottom of this.