Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

ST shifter rod making clinking/rattle type sounds

I have a 2014 Molten Orange Fiesta ST. Great car but I have a bit of a rattle/ clinking sound when I shift 1-2, 2-3. I opened up the "hatch" and believe its coming from where the shift rod goes into the cable housing, about 5 inches forward from the end of the cable where the connector is. That portion of the shift rod vibrates like crazy when the shifter goes into gear and rattles. Tried lithium grease, no change. I'm a NOISE sensitive guy!!! Have to figure this out. I've searched many forums and nothing like this has popped up.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions (other than changing the whole cable) I've only got 27 000 kilometres on it and have been very nice to it!

I also have a short video on my youtube channel. [video]https://youtu.be/2SuOhqP7yUU[/video]

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
That is normal...I have it also...I am anal about noises too. I just try to enjoy my drive and listen to music. If you are that concerned I'd bring it in!

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

OP
M
Thread Starter #3
Thanks. I am super anal about sounds... Unfortunately its out of th 3 yr warranty and only the transmission, not the shifter are covered til 5 years. It never did that before last fall. I wonder how hard it is (and expensive the shift cable kit is) to change the shift cables... If everone's is doing it, however, there might not be any point. 3 years quiet; now not!

OP
M
Thread Starter #4
Hmmm. thought I had replied here already, but I see no reply! Anyway, the car is past its 3 yr bumper-bumper warranty so the shifter is no longer covered. I guess I could replace the shift cables; not sure how much $$ or how hard that is, but if they all do it, seems like no point. Funny that it didn't make that noise until it was about 3 yrs old.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Still shifts correct? Try the Cable adjustment procedure...there is a thread here somewhere before replacement. [wrenchin]

OP
M
Thread Starter #6
Great idea I did try that last weekend, and it didn't seem to do anything. I thought, as well, that the cable might be loose, but it shifted okay before I tried the adj. procedure. I might try it again though. Maybe I didn't pull the yellow clip up high enough. Not sure how high it has to go; kind of a reach to get at it. thx again.

OP
M
Thread Starter #7
UPDATE: Okay, the sound I"m hearing is getting louder and I'm not sure if the picture I originally posted, is the actual culprit. It sounds more like change jingling in your pocket and it sounds like its related to "something" very close to the actual shift rod and reverse assembly around it. I"ll have to take it apart again and have a look. DRIVING me CRAZY>>>