Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Federal Evoluzion ST1 - anybody try them?

HBEcoBeaST

Any 40-series tire is going to be very susceptible to sidewall bubbles from a pothole. I don't fault the tire, but I can't keep using these tires if it is impossible to get a replacement.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
True. I was looking into 205/50r16 for my rota slipstreams. But the 205/50 is SL while the 205/45 is xl which are supposedly stronger. Your 205/40r17s we're xl and still got a bubble [emoji26]

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

OP
A

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #42
Ya it's not promising. Even still, our tires are very short so it's not surprising. The pothole must've gotten HUGE overnight because I've hit it before and it was nothing. Of course, I drove past it the next night and it was already fixed. Grrr

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Any 40-series tire is going to be very susceptible to sidewall bubbles from a pothole. I don't fault the tire, but I can't keep using these tires if it is impossible to get a replacement.

THIS!

IF you clobber a crater hard enough, at a good speed, it does not matter when using a 40 series, 'rubber band' profile, since even an XL rated Pilot Super Sport will bubble their substantial side walls in that scenario.

There was one FoST owner working with our volunteer crew on the New England Forest Rally this past weekend, and he was running the 225/40-17 OEM size (which does have a higher side wall height than our 205/40s) Indy 500s on the factory 'snowflake' wheels.

I though he was INSANE for taking those things down stage roads, especially on the lowered Mountune springs (over B8s) he was running.
But he was a former Pro Rally driver, and knew how to avoid all of the 'baby head' rocks, and car breaking ruts/washouts on those fire and forestry roads, and had a Skid Plate Guy bash plate mounted up (as did I), so that's likely WHY he had no wheel/tire damage after we got off of the stage roads the final time late Saturday. ;)

(He also claimed that those factory FoST wheels are pretty hefty, at well over 24 pounds, and the 500s are also XL rated, so he had some confidence in them.)

OP
A

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #47
I tried multiple vendors and was unable to find a replacement. I believe the tire is out of stock in literally the whole country. As mentioned above, I have moved onto Falken Azenis RT615K+ in 205/40-17 flavor.

KKaWing

Federal is a really small manufacturer in Taiwan, not sure if they have more factories other than the ones in Taiwan. Super backorders is common with them. The autocross tires seem to be a bit more popular and is in stock more (at least for me locally).

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Federal is a really small manufacturer in Taiwan, not sure if they have more factories other than the ones in Taiwan. Super backorders is common with them. The autocross tires seem to be a bit more popular and is in stock more (at least for me locally).
I still had to search high and wide to find my 215/40-17 RS-RRs, and had to settle for paying a higher price than most else since tires-easy did not have any at the time I needed them. :(

I tried multiple vendors and was unable to find a replacement. I believe the tire is out of stock in literally the whole country. As mentioned above, I have moved onto Falken Azenis RT615K+ in 205/40-17 flavor.
Bummer, but I'm sure you'll love those Falkens. Just how good are they?

Under their street tires, it's listed 2nd from the top and it looks like they have them listed in order from best to worst:

Evoluzion F60
Evoluzion ST-1
595RPM
595EVO

So I'm hopeful that these won't suck. They are developed off the 595 series so it can't be bad right? haha. If they're at least as good as the 595 Evo, I'll be happy. And with a treadwear rating of 300 (compared to 240 on the 595 Evo and 140 on the stock Potenzas that I have now) I should be able to get 25k out of them. My stock Potenzas are at 24k and just about bald.

I've been shopping tires the past few weeks and the 595 Evo was my #1 by a large margin. I missed out on a set for $262 shipped on eBay but found the Evoluzion ST-1 listed for $308. I had never seen that tire for sale until today. So I bought it (205/40-17) and they'll be here Wednesday. :p
Good thread. I have a 18 on order with Recaros. Can't wait. Already looking at tires. Not to many people know about Federal. Had my first experience with my 04 SVT Focus that had the 595's. Got the car already fully modded with everything except a blower. Very impressed with the feds. Really hit home when I replaced them Michelin Pilot Sports. Not at all they were cracked up to be. 595's were much more track oriented and may go back to them when Pots wear out. Also had the Advan 008's. Still better than the PS. Im in NJ and really want a really good hp all season primarily for the cold not snow. Narrowed down to BFG Comp2AS and Cooper Zeon rs3-1. 500 wear rating might not be sticky enough. We'll see. 215/40/17 most likely. Stan

GREAT to hear, as these may turn out to be the 'poor man's' Pilot Super Sports/4Ses! [:)] [thumb]
Had the SS's and the 595's were demonstably better in traction and stability and steering feel on a fully modded SVT Focus. So much so that I pulled them off and replaced them with AD008's (expensive) still better than the SS's. Feds are a no brainer because of performance AND cost.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^^The Nitto Neo Gen seems to be the 'go to' COLD, (but dry) weather condition donut flavor for our rides.

They are even kind enough to make it in almost every 17" size we can use (UNLIKE most other companies, which ONLY offer 45 series in widths we could use, in that diameter, excepting Federal of course). [thumb]

BTW; I have a set of the Federal RS-RRs in 215/40-17 on my 'summer wheels', (17x8 TD Pro race 1.2s), but am considering the Neo Gens in 205/40-17 for my factory wheels once the Pilot Sport AS/3s wear out.. [wink]

^^^The Nitto Neo Gen seems to be the 'go to' COLD, (but dry) weather condition donut flavor for our rides.

They are even kind enough to make it in almost every 17" size we can use (UNLIKE most other companies, which ONLY offer 45 series in widths we could use, in that diameter, excepting Federal of course). [thumb]

BTW; I have a set of the Federal RS-RRs in 215/40-17 on my 'summer wheels', (17x8 TD Pro race 1.2s), but am considering the Neo Gens in 205/40-17 for my factory wheels once the Pilot Sport AS/3s wear out.. [wink]
Thanks, I got tired of double sets of rims and tires for 3 cars so going at first for an all season. I have 3 sets of svt rims from my Contours and Focus. They all fit and are one 17x7 and 2 16X7's. One set with Conti Extreme Contact snows. I had Nittos 555's on my Merc Marauder in 295/5018's. Ok in the dry but stunk real bad in the wet. I'll have a look at the Neo Gens again. Tires keep getting better. I'd do the Cooper Zeon but not made in a 40 series and MADE in China !! So NO GO for now. Wish the stock wheels were 8 inchers, they are nice. Keep in touch.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I do not particularly love the aesthetics/pattern of the factory wheels.
I WISH that Ford either gave us the 'EAP/Rally' style Focus wheels in the same size (they have them sitting right in their 'parts bin' ANYWAY!) to begin with, or at least offered them as an option, instead of just the painted 5 spokers.

Since I only have this car, and no others to worry about, or find wheel/parts storage space for, I don't mind multiple sets of wheels.
I also have a set of winter/rally working wheels; 15x7 method MR501 VT Specs with 195/60-15 General Arctic 12s on them in addition to the above, and IF I had the coin, I would get a set of the Konig Dekagrams in 16x8, and put a set of whatever 200 tread wear gumballs on them. ;)

OP
A

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #58
I got rid of them. When I hit a pothole and got a bubble in the sidewall, it was literally impossible to get a replacement. Not a single US distributor had my tire in my size. I now run Nitto NeoGen and they're hands down a better tire, and about the same price.

Federal Evolution

I got rid of them. When I hit a pothole and got a bubble in the sidewall, it was literally impossible to get a replacement. Not a single US distributor had my tire in my size. I now run Nitto NeoGen and they're hands down a better tire, and about the same price.
If you need all season get the Neos, I like them and you can get them at Walmart online. They are minimal all season since the tread has less void volume=more rubber on the road and has an all season compound for cold weather. If you need an excellent AS the General g-05's are really good and feel very sporty.I was surprised. I'm actually going to post stock silver rims with low mileage g-05's, NO road rash. I have a Durango ST AWD for real snow but wanted a tire that can rail in the cold and be better in the warm than pretty much all AS tires including the pricey AS3+ miches. For a summer tire, check out the Federal RS-RR's. Also at wallyworld. I'll be running those upfront with the neos in the rear for summer. Direzza 3's were the other option but pricey.RE71's but not in my size. Lets see what happens. Fist going in for Thermal R&D turboback next week. Can't wait.

Good luck, Stan

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^^I would expect the Neo Gens to be a good deal stickier than the AS/3+ in warm, (and probably cold as well) DRY conditions. ;)