Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

High Miles on your Fiesta ST? you may need a Cam Bucket replacement.....

Trader history for ron@whoosh (1)

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account
We've brought a "bucket" load of these over from the UK for the US Fiesta ST owners to replace when their mileage exceeds over 30, 40, 50,000 miles
We wish there was a science to it or an actual magic number in terms of mileage but what it really boils down to is oil type and change intervals.

Here is our info on the item itself, there is also a video in the product description explaining how to do this on your own

Replacement Ford Fiesta ST MK7 Cam Bucket.

Vehicles with a number of miles on the odometer can suffer from issues with fuel pressure. Replacing the worn cam bucket with a new one can increase fuel pressure and performance.

Genuine Ford Part
Easy to install
Reclaim some performance if your car is a high miler.

LINK TO PRODUCT>>>>
https://whoosh-motorsports.myshopify.com/collections/2014-2017-ford-fiesta-st/products/2014-2018-fiesta-st-ford-oem-uk-cam-bucket-replacement

Pic of the NEW part you receive

Side by Side from a worn Cam Bucket just under 50,000 miles

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Very interesting....will look into this around 50k...is the new cam bucket made of any better material? Or just FORD OEM ? Thanks Ron for bringing this up!

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

OP
ron@whoosh

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account
Thread Starter #3
Very interesting....will look into this around 50k...is the new cam bucket made of any better material? Or just FORD OEM ? Thanks Ron for bringing this up!

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk
strictly OEM replacement
this is a very common replacement item across the pond
there are a few US guys/glas that have actually replaced theirs - some had signs of wear, some not
I would personally replace at 30-40k
Super cheap insurance things are in good shape with your HPFP

OP
ron@whoosh

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account
Thread Starter #5
I'm over 50k and see no leaks
this isn't a part that would leak, it's internal
you should watch the video in the product description on our site

the only way you'd know if your cam bucket is worn is if you see a decrease in fuel pressure or if you take it apart for inspection at which point you'd want to replace it since you have it apart anyway

me32

1000 Post Club
strictly OEM replacement
this is a very common replacement item across the pond
there are a few US guys/glas that have actually replaced theirs - some had signs of wear, some not
I would personally replace at 30-40k
Super cheap insurance things are in good shape with your HPFP
Now is this a problem with all the ecoboost or just the 1.6 design?

TDavis

1000 Post Club
Any reason you got UK parts? Are they a better design or was something wrong with the US parts?

OP
ron@whoosh

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account
Thread Starter #8
Any reason you got UK parts? Are they a better design or was something wrong with the US parts?
same part, not better in any way. Sometimes there are separate parts available in the UK that aren't available here. Case in point the OEM BPV
I thought that was the case with this small part but I could very well be wrong, I did not spent countless hours researching it. I bought a ton of them from my supplier because they were available to offer to the folks here in the US. If this part is available as a US part number....great! It's still available here on my site as well. I'm removing the (UK) from the description to avoid any confusion.

Any idea what dealer cost would be to replace this? Or if it's even on their radar of maintenance? Asking because I'm honestly not comfortable doing this bit myself lol.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I thought I escaped the high pressure fuel pump cam follower problem when I traded in my MK5 Gti. No sweat, it's cheap and looks easy to replace. Thanks for offering it Ron, just passed 20k today and I'm sure I'll be changing it out as the car gets on in mileage.

OP
ron@whoosh

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account
Thread Starter #11
I thought I escaped the high pressure fuel pump cam follower problem when I traded in my MK5 Gti. No sweat, it's cheap and looks easy to replace. Thanks for offering it Ron, just passed 20k today and I'm sure I'll be changing it out as the car gets on in mileage.
I wouldn't get too worried - not you but anyone posting or viewing the thread
It's certainly not a "sky is falling" kind of issue
We are rounding up the Fiesta with the parts you need to stop in one place for pretty much everything

There is a literal landslide of new offerings coming for from us
maintenance to new mods that you haven't seen before

Stay tuned!

OP
ron@whoosh

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account
Thread Starter #13
we have someone installing this Cam Bucket that is rather hard in their Fiesta
runs over 300whp on e30-e50 mix and has near 70k on the odoemeter

there will be fuel pressure figures and pictures of the before original and new cam buckets from this 2015 Fiesta posted in a few days

[thumb]

danbfree

3000 Post Club
These are common parts on all DI engines I believe. VW/Audi had MAJOR issues with them on the early '06-'07 DI engines, I got a used Audi that when I found the service history on it, it had a catastrophic failure from it at around 82k miles I believe, and those were crap parts on the early one.. This is great that one of our active vendors is offering this, I personally think it's safe waiting to do until the timing belt at 100k, but that's just me, from what I remember is that it's easy to get to if you are doing your timing belt at the same time... Also remember that our engine and trans comes from the UK, so that's why I think Ron has direct access to spare parts from there readily, but doesn't matter, we know he gets good stuff! :)

OP
ron@whoosh

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account
Thread Starter #15
These are common parts on all DI engines I believe. VW/Audi had MAJOR issues with them on the early '06-'07 DI engines, I got a used Audi that when I found the service history on it, it had a catastrophic failure from it at around 82k miles I believe, and those were crap parts on the early one.. This is great that one of our active vendors is offering this, I personally think it's safe waiting to do until the timing belt at 100k, but that's just me, from what I remember is that it's easy to get to if you are doing your timing belt at the same time... Also remember that our engine and trans comes from the UK, so that's why I think Ron has direct access to spare parts from there readily, but doesn't matter, we know he gets good stuff! :)
good points for sure
I think when this little guy needs attention has a lot to do with the oil choice and change intervals during the life of the car

the worn examples are hit or miss with mileage which brings us to this assumption

danbfree

3000 Post Club
good points for sure
I think when this little guy needs attention has a lot to do with the oil choice and change intervals during the life of the car

the worn examples are hit or miss with mileage which brings us to this assumption
Yep, I know some people swear by really expensive oil but with DI and oil dilution, I think it's more important to use good synthetic oil (doesn't have to be $10/qt) and change it every 5k at most... But it's scary how random the wear can be on these too, if they can be inspected fairly easily then I'd start checking it every 10k starting at 50k.

I have a few questions:
1- Why would it need to be swapped out at anything under 100k miles (unless the engine has seen a lot of abuse)? It appears to me to be a solid piece, that probably won't see a lot of wear?
2- On my 2017 Fiesta ST, the pump is accessible under a foam. Is there still the need to remove the whole wiring harness plugs etc..?
3- Is there any reason why the Crank pulley needs to be set to 3 o'clock? (first, like, 15 seconds of the video)?

danbfree

3000 Post Club
FYI, other terminology used for this part is the "cam follower", and it will destroy your motor if it does completely fail... BUT, even on the very early VAG DI engines, with a horrible quality part, they were failing no earlier than about 50k, on my used A4, it failed catastrophically at 82k by a previous owner who luckily had a CPO warranty. Anyway, just something to keep an eye on, if you look at the pic Ron posted you will see wear right on the outside of it, so for those running high HP pushing their fuel system limits, I'd start checking it at 50k just to be safe.

I think it's more of a inspect and replace if necessary as a precaution. I would imagine rotating the crank to that position will relieve the pressure on the high pressure pump cam lobe, making it easier to remove and install.