Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Pair of SPEC-D seats for $195

Most seem to claim that you should NOT be driving around on the street with a one piece, composite racing shell seat (EVEN IF you don't care about losing the exploding whoopee cushions) without 5-6 point harnesses, and a cage with an attached to the cage, solid back brace bar attached to the seat, anyway. [dunno]
(And then you have the issue of everyone claiming that it is DEADLY to drive with a cage (even a ridiculously padded one!) on the street, without also wearing a brain bucket. But rally drivers do this for MANY miles while on the transit parts of a rally on OPEN public paved roads, with their helmets off so??)

I question the above post by kenweise claiming that non-factory, non-airbag seats are implicitly illegal per se in and of themselves (Pennsy inspection places tell me that an air bag light on the dash will NOT fail me).
I even used to breeze right through what used to be a DRACONIAN inspection in Joyzee, for about 15 years, with a 330 mm diameter, Sparco suede race steering wheel (OBVIOUSLY sans any air bag) in my LS1 Z28. ;)
This may vary between locales, states,etc. though.

But yes, your insurance company CAN and WILL deny you any medical claims (and maybe even any liability claims made against you by OTHER drivers involved in an at fault accident), maybe even IF you inform them about not having air bags ahead of time, and pay a higher premium because of it, resulting from injuries due to what they claim could have been prevented by seat mounted (or steering wheel, if replacing that with aftermarket) air bags. [:(]
I had read a post stating it was illegal, but can't find it now. Therefore, it is suspect. On the bright side, besides the F4 ejection seat I posted earlier, Recaro claims to sell aftermarket seats with universal side airbags (https://www.recaro-automotive.com/us/company/expertise/safety.html).

zanethan

I had read a post stating it was illegal, but can't find it now. Therefore, it is suspect. On the bright side, besides the F4 ejection seat I posted earlier, Recaro claims to sell aftermarket seats with universal side airbags (https://www.recaro-automotive.com/us/company/expertise/safety.html).
I believe the legality depends on what state you reside in. Here in good old NC I've had cars pass with airbag lights on and no questions were asked. I actually asked one time and the mechanic told me that airbags have nothing to do with the safety criteria in this state. I guess it could be "illegal" but if so it certainly isn't even remotely unforced here.

TemecFist

You will not lose your airbags if you do it properly. I have Sparcos on Planted Technologies brackets and sliders, and have re-wired the airbags. I have no airbag light, and according to Fords test, all the airbags are fully functioning.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
You will not lose your airbags if you do it properly. I have Sparcos on Planted Technologies brackets and sliders, and have re-wired the airbags. I have no airbag light, and according to Fords test, all the airbags are fully functioning.
You are referring to just the remaining air bags in the steering wheel/dash, correct, (as I do not believe that Sparco makes any aftermarket seats with 'universal' air bags)?