Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Brakes pull to right after Mountune track pads and Stainless lines upgrade

Hi all,

Yesterday after changing to Mountune track front/rear pads, Mountune steel braided brake lines, and Castrol SRF fluid flush, my brakes pull to the right. This is happening while I am trying to bed in the pads, I've done one bedding run on the streets and will probably do another bedding run tomorrow. Is this normal?

I am pretty positive there is no air in the brake lines.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Hi all,

Yesterday after changing to Mountune track front/rear pads, Mountune steel braided brake lines, and Castrol SRF fluid flush, my brakes pull to the right. This is happening while I am trying to bed in the pads, I've done one bedding run on the streets and will probably do another bedding run tomorrow. Is this normal?

I am pretty positive there is no air in the brake lines.
How positive? And who helped you bleed the brakes? Where did you start when you bled them?

felopr

my bet is on air on the left rear caliper
did you bleed the rear brakes using the e-brake also?

I agree. It sounds like you have air in the left side causing the brake pressure to bias right. This is caused by air bubbles compressing in the line when the brakes are applied. Brake fluid won't do this. My suggestion: re-bleed and proceed!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

OP
wraith
Thread Starter #5
How positive? And who helped you bleed the brakes? Where did you start when you bled them?
I have a friend with quite a bit of mechanical experience helping me (I have no experience on brakes). He's a pretty frequent lapper at our local tracks and works on his own Porsche brakes and has had a variety of other cars in the past that he worked on as well (brakes and everything else).

He thought it could be that one side hasn't bedded in as well as the other side yet, and he had the same problem on his Porsche until he continued a proper bedding process on his track pads. I've only driven about 15 minutes on the new setup so far with trying to sprinkle in the prescribed bedding procedures.

Does this mean pumping the e-brake just like the pedal to push fluid through? To answer your question, no we just left the e-brake down the whole time. I also noticed when we were done that you have to pull it up a lot higher to engage it than before we started this process.

Also, does it matter if the car is on but not running when you bleed? I feel like my pedal tightness sank down a little when I turned it on the first time.

kivnul

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
Another thing to check is that the rear pads are sitting flat against the rotor. The rear pistons have a X shape surface, the pads have a pin that must sit inside the grove of the x otherwise you get uneven pressure... could cause your symptom. (pretty sure mountume pads have the pin.. about the size of a small pencil eraser)

felopr

Does this mean pumping the e-brake just like the pedal to push fluid through? To answer your question, no we just left the e-brake down the whole time. I also noticed when we were done that you have to pull it up a lot higher to engage it than before we started this process.

Also, does it matter if the car is on but not running when you bleed? I feel like my pedal tightness sank down a little when I turned it on the first time.

I always bleed with the car turn off, but it shouldn't matter

OP
wraith
Thread Starter #8
Another thing to check is that the rear pads are sitting flat against the rotor. The rear pistons have a X shape surface, the pads have a pin that must sit inside the grove of the x otherwise you get uneven pressure... could cause your symptom. (pretty sure mountume pads have the pin.. about the size of a small pencil eraser)
Man, this was it! We pulled off the driver's side rear pad and sure enough that pin wasn't sitting in the groove of the X so the pad was crooked.

The brake distribution is way better now, although it pulls just a little bit to the right still. We were thinking maybe because I did a bunch of bedding activity on the crooked setup, so it still has to even out on that pad. I'll continue to monitor it.

We'll also bleed the lines again, thanks felopr for the instructions.