Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Kenwood KSC-SW11 install questions

I ordered a Kenwood KSC-SW11 from Amazon, as it seems to be about the only option that will fit under the seat of our tiny cars. I’m a little intimidated by the install. All I’ve ever done in the past with my cars is replace the speakers in the doors, so this is a good bit more involved. I had a couple of questions:

I was thinking of using the 12 volt plug at the back of the console for power. As I understand it, this is a switched circuit, turns off about 10 seconds after the engibe is shut off. I was thinking of hooking the wiring in to a cigarette lighter plug to make it easier, and to be able to unplug it if I was not going to use the car for a while. I was hoping this would eliminate the need for separate switching wire. As the plug has both positive and negative terminals, would I still need to ground it separately? Is this even a possibility or a dumb idea? Unit only pulls 7.5 amps, and the circuit is fused for 10, I believe.

I’ve seen it advised both to tap in to the rear speakers in the B pillars near the seat belt and to tap in in the front speakers, either in the doors or behind the head unit. There doesn’t seem to be a consensus on which is best. All other things being considered, easier is best, but I also want the most effective set-up.

How should I mount the unit itself? I don’t want to tap and screw through the floor of my car if I can avoid it. It seems most people use heavy duty Velcro. It seems there is a bit more space under the driver’s side, and I dont’ have the Recaro’s with heated seats, I have the stock seats.

Any other considerations or suggestions?
Thanks