Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Doug DeMuro's take on the Fiesta ST

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
That terrible rear view straight out the back can get little kids ran over, we'll have to agree to disagree if you don't think that's worth it... otherwise I agree on absolutely all the rest, very small and easy to park but that straight out the back visibility is pretty damn bad so that alone justifies it to me... what changed is that the technology is cheap and proven to save lives probably just as much as some safety features that have been around for years.
The straight-back visibility is only an issue (for me) when I'm cruising down the road and I need to see a few car lengths behind me. With the shape of the roof and the seating position and the rearview mirror position, we can only see in a downward angle as you know. When I'm backing into a parking spot I'm going 1mph not 60mph so my field of view is close and wide. with two side-view mirrors, each with a wide-angle "blind spot" mirror, a rear view mirror, and the dexterity to turn my head to the side, I have zero issues with backing into a spot without fear of running anything or anyone over. YMMV

Not trying to start an argument but if you need a rear view camera on a little car to not run over kids, or pets you have no business driving.
To be honest with you, I used to think the same way but about 2 months ago I was reversing out of my shop (slowly) and noticed my 8 month old puppy get up from behind me and move out of the way. I was unable to see him from any of my mirrors but he was laying back there. Now, before someone says anything about well that is why you check behind you before reversing, people and animals move. That is why I would want a way to constantly monitor what is behind me rather than going off of the one time i checked to make sure it was clear.

TDavis

1000 Post Club
I cringed when he doesn't realize Motorcraft is a Ford brand. I was also triggered when it completely missed how to actually put the hood prop in the right place. Its not a two position hood prop...lol

Disappointed he didn't have one with the Recaros.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
To be honest with you, I used to think the same way but about 2 months ago I was reversing out of my shop (slowly) and noticed my 8 month old puppy get up from behind me and move out of the way. I was unable to see him from any of my mirrors but he was laying back there. Now, before someone says anything about well that is why you check behind you before reversing, people and animals move. That is why I would want a way to constantly monitor what is behind me rather than going off of the one time i checked to make sure it was clear.
That could definitely change one's perspective.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Not trying to start an argument but if you need a rear view camera on a little car to not run over kids, or pets you have no business driving.
No argument from me here... kids and pets run right behind cars all the time and I don't want to run over my small dog or little niece or nephew as otherwise your comment is so sadly egotistically false I can't possibly be offended by someone mentally disabled that they really "have no business" posting such nonsense.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
The straight-back visibility is only an issue (for me) when I'm cruising down the road and I need to see a few car lengths behind me. With the shape of the roof and the seating position and the rearview mirror position, we can only see in a downward angle as you know. When I'm backing into a parking spot I'm going 1mph not 60mph so my field of view is close and wide. with two side-view mirrors, each with a wide-angle "blind spot" mirror, a rear view mirror, and the dexterity to turn my head to the side, I have zero issues with backing into a spot without fear of running anything or anyone over. YMMV
What about small pets or children that could dart right into that no visibility area after you've already started moving? I thought we already established it has ZERO to do with parking, but it's scientific fact that a camera will catch something that darts into that no rear visibility area... This isn't some contest over parking or driving skills, so unless you have X-ray vision to catch small pets or children as they dart into that blind rear area while backing up, you have zero argument against the added safety of a camera.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
No argument from me here... kids and pets run right behind cars all the time and I don't want to run over my small dog or little niece or nephew as otherwise your comment is so sadly egotistically false I can't possibly be offended by someone mentally disabled that they really "have no business" posting such nonsense.
Not going to argue I didn't attack you, don't attack me.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Mikey456

I try to back my car in parking lots instead of parking forward. Easier to drive out not having the backup camera.

Dougā€™s thoughts about the car seem to be limited do to the fact he driving in the city. Driving the car in the canyons and twisty roads really gives you sense of where the car excels.

Then you simply don't care about running over small pets or children that could dart right into that no visibility area, right? I thought we already established it has ZERO to do with parking, but it's scientific fact that a camera will catch something that darts into that poor rear visibility area no matter how much you talk about everything else... This isn't a dick measuring contest over parking or driving skills, so unless you have fucking X-ray vision to catch small pets or children as they dart into that blind rear area while backing up, you have zero argument in the added safety of a camera.
I am not saying your opinion is wrong, but I think you are getting too heated over somebody else's opinion. We are all adults here, so please try to act one.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Not going to argue I didn't attack you, don't attack me.
Can you use some grammar like a comma or something, I'm not 100% even sure what you are trying to say, but I DO know you clearly said something to the effect that I shouldn't be driving... I'm not going to "attack" anyone first, NEVER do, but people that just mindlessly attack a feature that is pretty much as proven as seatbelts to save lives by trying to claim "I'm a good driver, I don't need a seatbelt" is how dumb it comes off...

danbfree

3000 Post Club
I am not saying your opinion is wrong, but I think you are getting too heated over somebody else's opinion. We are all adults here, so please try to act one.
Fine, I'll remove the foul language... but people basically saying things as dumb as "I'm such a good driver I don't need a seatbelt" after my friends little sister was killed by being backed over, I'm going to address, I'll just try to keep my emotions in check... we're allowed to have those as adults too right?

Fine, I'll remove the foul language... but people basically saying things as dumb as "I'm such a good driver I don't need a seatbelt" after my friends little sister was killed by being backed over, I'm going to address, I'll just try to keep my emotions in check... we're allowed to have those as adults too right?
I am truly sorry for your friend's lost and I understand where these emotions come from. I lost my grandfather at a early age due to a drunk driver, just no reason to take out these emotions on ignorant (i do not mean this offensively) people online.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
I am truly sorry for your friend's lost and I understand where these emotions come from. I lost my grandfather at a early age due to a drunk driver, just no reason to take out these emotions on ignorant (i do not mean this offensively) people online.
Thank you for the positive thoughts and I apologize for getting too heated over that, I was trying not to "go there" but it happened and I apologize.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
What about small pets or children that could dart right into that no visibility area after you've already started moving? I thought we already established it has ZERO to do with parking, but it's scientific fact that a camera will catch something that darts into that no rear visibility area... This isn't some contest over parking or driving skills, so unless you have X-ray vision to catch small pets or children as they dart into that blind rear area while backing up, you have zero argument against the added safety of a camera.

Be aware of your surroundings and don't rely on technology to save your ass and you won't have any problems. If you're unsure of what's behind you, get out and look. Relying on technology is a mistake. If you want a rearview camera on your car, fine. But I've been driving for a long time and I've never run over a pet or sister. You want to go there? Let's go there. Otherwise step back and chill.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Be aware of your surroundings and don't rely on technology to save your ass and you won't have any problems. If you're unsure of what's behind you, get out and look. Relying on technology is a mistake. If you want a rearview camera on your car, fine. But I've been driving for a long time and I've never run over a pet or sister. You want to go there? Let's go there. Otherwise step back and chill.
Just saying that small pets and children can dart right into a zero visibility area very quickly so there is good reason they are the only safety feature being made mandatory by law over any other of these other safety nannies that I totally agree with you no one needs... We'll leave it at that man, and I'm glad to hear you are super careful when you have to backup, but I'm also glad, especially with so many careless drivers buying SUV's, that they are now required by law.

I think its a joke that he prides himself in japanese RWD cars from the 90s, yet is surprised everytime he sees tech. from that era, that were essentially generic parts from that time.

His reviews are baseless.

/rant

On a sad but relevant note, a 5 year old girl died at sea world today after running away from her parents in the lot. She ran into the side of a truck, fell under, and was run over. The driver immediately stopped to render aid. Just.. be careful out there. It doesnt matter how innocent you are, the guilt will haunt you. Treat parking lots like forbidden playscapes

I agree with him how the built-in blind spot mirrors are brilliant, Ford's had them on just about everything since '13, just can't believe other car makers haven't followed suit on that one.
What I don't understand is why the hell is everyone moving towards BLIS instead of a super cheap mirror. Even Ford is removing those blind spot mirrors in favor of BLIS! I fucking hate it on our Santa Fe because it doesn't tell you if there's someone just outside their range that I don't want to cut, the mirrors do! It gives me extra visibility ALL the time while the sensors gives me nothing except when they want to. The sensors also don't show there is someone there if I'm passing the other car. It seems that most of the time, if the car was in front of the car before getting in the blind spot, the sensors will just ignore it. I don't understand the logic behind that.

Now it might be Hyundai's integration that sucks as I don't have enough mileage in any other car that has this system to compare it, but why replace something so fucking simple is beyond me.