Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Doug DeMuro's take on the Fiesta ST

redmoe

This review seemed to be “in family” with his other reviews. I don’t think it was negatively biased towards the FiST. Lots of the observations have been covered here in this forum. The motorcraft references were odd. Maybe he was trying to be funny.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Agreed...The more i've thought about it he's a dork with little actual value in reviewing other than he gets to score lots of different cars... between him acting dumb for trolling/clicks and his ridiculously off acceleration scoring I'm just not a fan of his..

I agree with the earlier poster who liked DeMuro better when he made the funny Doug Car videos for Jalopnik. His Autotrader videos have become incredibly formulaic and long-winded. The "quirks and features" are so uninteresting in most of the videos. I'm not who he's aiming that stuff at.

Despite it all, I still watch most of his videos because who else is reviewing a Bugatti Chiron or '80s A-M Lagonda? But he seems very out of touch with the kind of cars most people buy. Also, the Doug Score has to be disregarded because he applies the same scale to $3 million cars (the Bugatti) as low-priced cars. The FiST never had a chance at a good score.

But I'm not offended by the not-so-glowing FiST review/rating. I was just disappointed it was so boring, when the car is anything but. When I'm on my deathbed, I'm going to rue the minutes I wasted watching him pore over the owner's manual and make the clueless, unfunny Motorcraft remarks.

If you want a true review of the FiST, just watch the ones posted by driving enthusiasts... meaning, those who get what the car is all about. I've probably watched most of deMuro's reviews, and I agree with the comments above regarding the occasional irrelevance of his comments. I drive a FiST because it ticks all the right boxes for me. I don't regret that it's short on bells and whistles compared to the Mercedes I (theoretically) reviewed last week, or that the interior looks cheap compared to the Veyron from last month. I wish Doug would stay in context when evaluating cars, rather than (for example) rating an '80s model low on features compared to moderns, when it was considered quite well-equipped in its day.

That said, I wish my FiST had a back-up camera. Aerodynamics and roll-over protection have raised beltlines and reduced window size on most cars these days... rear head-restraints as well. There are major blind spots back there. My wife's Escape has a camera, and while it's not my primary reference (I'm old-school...) it's good to be able to use it in worst-case situations.

FB

Sunroof and back up camera (eg) = weight. I bought mine because it reminds me of another car I enjoyed standing it on its ear.

1969 SPL311 Roadster.

Dudes a hack! hes right about that stupid hole at the bottom of the center console though, anyone have a use for that thing yet? and how do you do a "review" of a car and not know about it? The gap above the glove box.... then mentioned the ambient lighting and never corrected himself. We get it dude, its not a perfect car but its pretty damn fun. Esp when you get it tuned. Thank you Panda!

When I first saw the thread title, I thought "Why would anyone care what this random guy thinks?"

Fearing I was oblivious to some great car reviewer I started reading through this thread and within a few posts realized why I've never cared/heard of him.

Sincere thanks to this great community for saving me the time and energy of ever clicking on anything he puts out.[giggle]

People need to compare the fiesta to A) its direct competitors (which I think it blows away all of it's direct competition and is often put up against cars in a class above) and B) other new cars in its price range 21-26k (loaded fist vs base miata, base focus ST, Base GTI, etc etc etc). All other comparisons are apples to oranges.

Dudes a hack! hes right about that stupid hole at the bottom of the center console though, anyone have a use for that thing yet?
I might be out alone on a deserted island here, but I really like that storage area in front of the shifter. My leather wallet fits perfectly there and it never moves. [clap]

danbfree

3000 Post Club
I might be out alone on a deserted island here, but I really like that storage area in front of the shifter. My leather wallet fits perfectly there and it never moves. [clap]
huh, not mine nor anyone else's... unless you use velcro or are driving WAY too grandma-like for a FiST.. LOL... Anyway, that little area in front of the stick shift is only good for sticky notes or velcro'd items I'd say, I've got a few sticky notes there now, helps remind me to do stuff at home after I leave work...

TDavis

1000 Post Club
I'm the same exact way.

huh, not mine nor anyone else's... unless you use velcro or are driving WAY too grandma-like for a FiST.. LOL... Anyway, that little area in front of the stick shift is only good for sticky notes or velcro'd items I'd say, I've got a few sticky notes there now, helps remind me to do stuff at home after I leave work...
Oh boy. You have to be kidding. Look, I'm just an attorney who is a partner in a 300+ attorney law firm who has wrenched on cars and bikes for decades. So I'm probably not as smart as you and I'm probably mistaken that my Tumi leather wallet fits the space perfectly and does not move. No doubt I'm wrong and you know better than I. Weird how I have not noticed my wallet flying around. Have you asked yourself why you annoy people? I'll just consider the source.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
Oh boy. You have to be kidding. Look, I'm just an attorney who is a partner in a 300+ attorney law firm who has wrenched on cars and bikes for decades. So I'm probably not as smart as you and I'm probably mistaken that my Tumi leather wallet fits the space perfectly and does not move. No doubt I'm wrong and you know better than I. Weird how I have not noticed my wallet flying around. Have you asked yourself why you annoy people? I'll just consider the source.
Don't you love it when people try to tell you nah no way you can't do that, and you do it. I normally keep my wallet in my side pocket, but I will have to give that a try.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Good for you, rich boy... your wallet is obviously fatter than most of us driving an economy car, you win, congrats, good for YOU! :)

See, it's called humor, try to find some sometime, or you know, share an opinion that's not popular, because you know, this isn't a popularity contest... have you asked yourself that maybe you are just a rich asshole that has no sense of humor? Even AFTER saying maybe you were "on a deserted island" with that one? And still no sense of humor after asking for it? Nah, just an asshole to start shit and then be a douche about it... got it...

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
Good for you, rich boy... your wallet is obviously fatter than most of us driving an economy car, you win, congrats, good for YOU! :)

See, it's called humor, try to find some sometime, or you know, share an opinion that's not popular, because you know, this isn't a popularity contest... have you asked yourself that maybe you are just a rich asshole that has no sense of humor? Even AFTER saying maybe you were "on a deserted island" with that one? And still no sense of humor after asking for it? Nah, just an asshole to start shit and then be a douche about it... got it...
He is not a ass at all. You bitch more then any person I have ever seen. sounds like to me he worked his ass off. you start threads please don't judge me I want to buy crappy tires, I have no money but don't make fun of me it will hurt my feelings.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

danbfree

3000 Post Club
He is not a ass at all. You bitch more then any person I have ever seen. sounds like to me he worked his ass off. you start threads please don't judge me I want to buy crappy tires, I have no money but don't make fun of me it will hurt my feelings.
I just made a JOKE that if your wallet fits there and it stays then you aren't driving fast enough, why does that deserve a douchebag reply? Jesus...