Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Portland area: Brand new AP on FB Marketplace for $380...

XanRules

I am still researching my question about the benefits of sourcing the air from ambient and I found this discussion in the link below. It sounds like if you have the ST200 airbox with a hole on the bottom then the added pressure from the ram air big mouth at speed is just going to get pushed out the ST200 hole. Maybe not as much though if you have the ST200 airbox inlet routed to the front of the car which would be at the same pressure as the big mouth.

http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/threads/7210-Fiesta-ST-Ram-Air-BIG-MOUTH-Intake-Snorkel-by-Velossa-Tech-Engineering-R-amp-D-thread!/page15
Ah! Yeah, mine doesn't face forward (I could possibly route it that way but it's likely more work than I'd want to do for so little gain) so that rules that out, huh?

anticon

Ah! Yeah, mine doesn't face forward (I could possibly route it that way but it's likely more work than I'd want to do for so little gain) so that rules that out, huh?
If it were me I would probably do one or the other if you are thinking the added pressure is going to help go with the big mouth. VelossaTech does show more air into the engine compared to stock with the big mouth, I don't know about compared to an ST200 airbox though. The selling point on the big mouth is that it uses the high pressure air on the front of the car along with some fancy aerodynamics to get more air pressure into the airbox. I would still kind of wonder if that actually changes the pressure on the other side of the filter though, as the filter would be the bottleneck. I mean it can't hurt, but I don't know how much it would help. I also saw it mentioned that since underneath the car is a low pressure zone, if you have the ST200 routed to under the car you are going to get less pressure also. Again, I don't know how much this effects it because it would seem the filter is going to bottleneck again anyway. The ST200 at least doesn't sit in front of the radiator, but the big mouth does look kind of cool. I guess those are all the pros and cons I have found so far.

XanRules

If it were me I would probably do one or the other if you are thinking the added pressure is going to help go with the big mouth. VelossaTech does show more air into the engine compared to stock with the big mouth, I don't know about compared to an ST200 airbox though. The selling point on the big mouth is that it uses the high pressure air on the front of the car along with some fancy aerodynamics to get more air pressure into the airbox. I would still kind of wonder if that actually changes the pressure on the other side of the filter though, as the filter would be the bottleneck. I mean it can't hurt, but I don't know how much it would help. I also saw it mentioned that since underneath the car is a low pressure zone, if you have the ST200 routed to under the car you are going to get less pressure also. Again, I don't know how much this effects it because it would seem the filter is going to bottleneck again anyway. The ST200 at least doesn't sit in front of the radiator, but the big mouth does look kind of cool. I guess those are all the pros and cons I have found so far.
Yeah, I've already got the ST200 so I might not bother changing everything. I sent an email over to Velossa Tech to see if they can clarify whether or not the two parts essentially cancel each other out, which is what seems to be the implication if the air collected from the big mouth flows out of the st200 inlet.

XanRules

Velossa Tech has said that the Big Mouth and an ST200/Mountune airbox are redundant with one another, if that information is useful to anyone else. :)

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #45
Velossa Tech has said that the Big Mouth and an ST200/Mountune airbox are redundant with one another, if that information is useful to anyone else. :)
Good info to know, I think I'll eventually do the BM snorkel as I don't want to mess with the newer evap or PCV, whatever that newer intake stuff is on '16+ when I have no plans to go bigger turbo...

anticon

I managed to pick up a used AP with an A-pillar mount for $300.

I wasn't planning on getting one this soon but the price was right. I'm currently just using it for guages until I get the intake figured out and get some more funds. He said it had a stratified 93 tune on it for just a panel filter a rmm.

The guy was from the Salem area and says he was on the forum. He had to sell his to get a truck though.

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #47
I managed to pick up a used AP with an A-pillar mount for $300.

I wasn't planning on getting one this soon but the price was right. I'm currently just using it for guages until I get the intake figured out and get some more funds. He said it had a stratified 93 tune on it for just a panel filter a rmm.

The guy was from the Salem area and says he was on the forum. He had to sell his to get a truck though.
Nice, highly recommend getting all registered with Cobb, they will treat you like a new owner and you can make sure it's all updated to the latest firmware and get their free OTS tunes for the hell of it.. The stratified is perfect to try too, especially, it will likely be an older version but really there isn't much difference in bolt on's anyway, maybe slightly more aggressive with a IC upgrade, that's the only mod real tuners care about, you probably would get 5-10 real HP, which on our small car helps, but definitely worth trying out the tune for now... Then again, technically, the license is per car, but you can see how much better a "real" tune is to start with and may order a new ver. 4.0 Stratified later if you want...

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #48
So, to close the original topic of this thread, a couple of weeks ago the guy selling the AP eventually lowered the price enough, I picked it up for $320 and flipped it for $420 in the classifieds here, $89 profit after $11 shipping... Man, if I haven't been so broke I would have taken all the accessories from the new one including face plate and 90 elbow OBD cable I didn't get with my used one, oh well...