Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Portland area: Brand new AP on FB Marketplace for $380...

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Edit, 7/12/18 price dropped to $330, excellent deal for brand new!

I know not everyone uses FB, I think it's worth a private/friendless account, but anyway here's the link and if you don't have FB let me know and I'll contact the guy, he seems chill...

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1918418798178502

Last edited:

anticon

[MENTION=9500]danbfree[/MENTION] you're killing me man! [MENTION=8914]XanRules[/MENTION] you on this?

Last edited:
OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #3
Danbfree you're killing me man! Xanrules you on this?
LOL, I figured I'd get one of you guys to bite... I'm right around the corner from Sherwood in Progress Ridge if you want to see what a tuned car drives like, I'm even in Sherwood quite often doing a little Uber Eats delivery if you want to PM me your number to text or vice versa...

anticon

Well now I figure I would want to do the intake and intercooler before getting a tune, just to take care of it all at once. I am thinking either ST200 airbox with the Ramair crossover, induction, panel filter ($550) OR the ITG intake and crossover ($600). I really don't want to cut up any part of the car. I guess if I could buy the portion of the panel you have to cut to get a bigmouth installed then I might consider that instead of the ST200. I think the panel is probably this part.

https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-parts/ford-filler-panel-d2bz17e785c/

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #5
Well now I figure I would want to do the intake and intercooler before getting a tune, just to take care of it all at once. I am thinking either ST200 airbox with the Ramair crossover, induction, panel filter ($550) OR the ITG intake and crossover ($600). I really don't want to cut up any part of the car. I guess if I could buy the portion of the panel you have to cut to get a bigmouth installed then I might consider that instead of the ST200. I think the panel is probably this part.

Yeah, we are opposite philosophies on all this, the tune makes 80-90% of the power gains, all that other stuff can come later... Especially with our mild weather my charge temps aren't bad even tuned so even an intercooler is unimportant to me at the time, I'm making plenty of power for stock suspension right now. :) I especially don't want to mess with the intake since it is the updated one with much better PCV for "catch can lite" functionality, not that catch cans help anyway, and I have no plans to go turbo upgrade. With full bolt on's, including intercooler, there are 2 intakes that make 5 HP, but mostly it's just even more torque we don't need any more of, LOL... So what I did was a drop in and cut the hole in the shroud where a Big Mouth would pass through and leave the engine cover off the warmest 6 months of the year, works well enough for me... next oil change I'm going over to the bigger 400S oil filter to help with temps a touch too, using a Bosch that's a little bigger than the stock 910 now, but every little bit helps...

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #6

Oh, the panel you cut for a Big Mouth is UNDER that one you linked, so it can't even be seen and allows cold air to come right in from the front grill... It's more like a "splash shroud" than a panel...

You could get the COBB setup for a fraction of the costs associated here. It utilizes the stock airbox bottom (which has proven to put down more tq than other closed airbox designs). COBB setup is $349 brand new, utilizes 3" plastic tubes (which don't heatsoak), including the crossover section, and also looks quite sexy when installed.

I sold my setup out of necessity, and now I'm running a mountune induction setup with ramair crossover. Kinda wondering if I should have just got the COBB setup again based on cost......

anticon

Thanks for the response. I was actually kind of wondering if the intercooler was necessary in our mild climate. Your route is definitely the most cost effective. It kind of looks like on the stratified site you can expect about 30 lb-ft torque and 20 whp added with a 91 oct tune. It seems like an extra 20 lb-ft torque (+66% gain) and 5 whp (+25% gain) is significant though. You are probably right that it might be overkill though. I think I would want the traction control and 2nd gear torque limited tune with this setup.

http://www.stratifiedauto.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=117_123&products_id=296

I don't plan on upgrading the turbo (it sounds like that is definitely overkill for the type of driving I would typically be doing.)

XanRules

Just bought one from [MENTION=7743]Speedboosted[/MENTION] last night but thanks for the heads up [MENTION=9002]anticon[/MENTION]!

Intake-wise, I already have the ST200 airbox, I might get a Cobb and make a true bastard of an intake by plumbing it into the ST200 airbox rather than the stock one, since the ST200 airbox is only different from the stock one in that it has the cold air feed hose in the bottom half.

Just bought one from [MENTION=7743]Speedboosted[/MENTION] last night but thanks for the heads up [MENTION=9002]anticon[/MENTION]!

Intake-wise, I already have the ST200 airbox, I might get a Cobb and make a true bastard of an intake by plumbing it into the ST200 airbox rather than the stock one, since the ST200 airbox is only different from the stock one in that it has the cold air feed hose in the bottom half.
Nice to meet you last night! I did a CPE intake and Depo Intercooler last week, and honestly haven't noticed any difference in day to day driving. Even the induction sounds the same as I really ported my factory airbox and had a drop-in filter. Charge temps do stay much closer to ambient during pulls, but I can't say I've ever made a ton of pulls after each other to heatsoak the car. Is that stuff needed on our cars? No. Does it help? A bit. I got a good deal on them, so not complaining.

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #11
Thanks for the response. I was actually kind of wondering if the intercooler was necessary in our mild climate. Your route is definitely the most cost effective. It kind of looks like on the stratified site you can expect about 30 lb-ft torque and 20 whp added with a 91 oct tune. It seems like an extra 20 lb-ft torque (+66% gain) and 5 whp (+25% gain) is significant though. You are probably right that it might be overkill though. I think I would want the traction control and 2nd gear torque limited tune with this setup.

http://www.stratifiedauto.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=117_123&products_id=296

I don't plan on upgrading the turbo (it sounds like that is definitely overkill for the type of driving I would typically be doing.)
I'm pretty sure it's more than you quoted on torque, either that or 93 tune is a nice step up from 91... And since do have a nice catch can setup, you are already all set to bypass the updated PCV stuff, so definitely might as well go with whatever intake you decide on... And yeah, you really should try my car that's almost all stock but has the good stratified tune and see what the torque is like, their traction control and torque limit in 2nd options are definitely a good idea!

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

anticon

You could get the COBB setup for a fraction of the costs associated here. It utilizes the stock airbox bottom (which has proven to put down more tq than other closed airbox designs). COBB setup is $349 brand new, utilizes 3" plastic tubes (which don't heatsoak), including the crossover section, and also looks quite sexy when installed.

I sold my setup out of necessity, and now I'm running a mountune induction setup with ramair crossover. Kinda wondering if I should have just got the COBB setup again based on cost......
So I would assume with the COBB setup you would still want to modify the airbox to let in cold air rather than from the stock location? Is that correct? Based on a ModBargains blog I read this helps significantly but they didn't give numbers.

The options I currently see are cutting a hole in the front panel, cutting a hole in the bottom of the airbox, replacing the airbox with a ST200 or mountune airbox, or cut and install a VT bigmouth.

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #13
So I would assume with the COBB setup you would still want to modify the airbox to let in cold air rather than from the stock location? Is that correct? Based on a ModBargains blog I read this helps significantly but they didn't give numbers.

The options I currently see are cutting a hole in the front panel, cutting a hole in the bottom of the airbox, replacing the airbox with a ST200 or mountune airbox, or cut and install a VT bigmouth.
The stock location does suck in cold air from the front, so how do you mean differently? As in more directly without a snorkel?

XanRules

The ST200 airbox has a hose that pulls cold air in from the fender well in addition to the factory "snorkel" on the front of the car. This is on the bottom half of the airbox. The Cobb intake replaces the top half of the stock airbox and all the piping up to the turbo inlet. So, you could run the cobb intake with the bottom half of the ST200 airbox. Conceivably this would be functionally identical to an ST200/Mountune box with a crossover pipe and induction hose, but potentially cheaper, especially if you buy used. I do not have an opinion on whether or not the cone filter with the Cobb would be an improvement over a flat-panel filter of an identical medium.

I will be running a big mouth (if I can find one used) and either a Cobb setup or crossover pipe/induction hose with my ST200 airbox (depending on what I can find for cheaper). I will log data (now that that's a thing I can do).

The Cobb has the additional benefit of being plastic and less prone to heat soak, whereas the RamAir crossover is aluminum, and I would heat wrap it. Heat really seems to be the killer on these cars, next time I need to work on the turbo I'll be wrapping it in a turbo blanket. Touge Solutions (or some company with a name like that) makes one for our little baby snail.

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #15
The ST200 airbox has a hose that pulls cold air in from the fender well in addition to the factory "snorkel" on the front of the car. This is on the bottom half of the airbox. The Cobb intake replaces the top half of the stock airbox and all the piping up to the turbo inlet. So, you could run the cobb intake with the bottom half of the ST200 airbox. Conceivably this would be functionally identical to an ST200/Mountune box with a crossover pipe and induction hose, but potentially cheaper, especially if you buy used. I do not have an opinion on whether or not the cone filter with the Cobb would be an improvement over a flat-panel filter of an identical medium.

I will be running a big mouth (if I can find one used) and either a Cobb setup or crossover pipe/induction hose with my ST200 airbox (depending on what I can find for cheaper). I will log data (now that that's a thing I can do).

The Cobb has the additional benefit of being plastic and less prone to heat soak, whereas the RamAir crossover is aluminum, and I would heat wrap it. Heat really seems to be the killer on these cars, next time I need to work on the turbo I'll be wrapping it in a turbo blanket. Touge Solutions (or some company with a name like that) makes one for our little baby snail.
There we go, we can always rely on Xan to explain in a perfect level of detail, thanks man... So did you pick up an AP finally??? Congrats!

anticon

The stock location does suck in cold air from the front, so how do you mean differently? As in more directly without a snorkel?

Forgive my ignorance, but I thought that the stock airbox inlet for outside air came from somewhere other than fresh outside air. The link below describes this. I have not personally looked at it though.

"The OEM intake tube that feeds the airbox (that S-shaped tube that connects to the radiator area at the very front of the airbox) – it draws from an area of the bumper that’s totally sealed off from any fresh incoming air, instead it draws hot air from in front of the radiator – basically sucking in hot air and heatsoaking the car. Airflow works differently for different cars, but this made a big difference in keeping the car cooler in stop and go traffic and in the staging lanes at the track."

https://blog.modbargains.com/best-free-budget-fiesta-st-mods-for-maximum-power-on-the-cheap/

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #18
Forgive my ignorance, but I thought that the stock airbox inlet for outside air came from somewhere other than fresh outside air. The link below describes this. I have not personally looked at it though.

"The OEM intake tube that feeds the airbox (that S-shaped tube that connects to the radiator area at the very front of the airbox) – it draws from an area of the bumper that’s totally sealed off from any fresh incoming air, instead it draws hot air from in front of the radiator – basically sucking in hot air and heatsoaking the car. Airflow works differently for different cars, but this made a big difference in keeping the car cooler in stop and go traffic and in the staging lanes at the track."

https://blog.modbargains.com/best-free-budget-fiesta-st-mods-for-maximum-power-on-the-cheap/
This is exactly what we were discussing earlier, I cut a hole in the shroud under that panel you linked where one would have to for a big mouth install anyway, and now air comes straight in to the snorkel area directly from the front grill... I suppose it's only done that way out of an overly abundance of caution for flooding, which we don't get... plenty of rain, but not actual flooding. :)

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #20

Also, I can surf on Reddit and FB and here all day but Intel blocks modbargains for some reason so I can't even see the source... heh, but by description alone that is exactly what I discovered myself: That there is this shroud that is sealed off and I immediately thought "why do they think hot radiator air will work for this?", and my next thought was "shit, if that shroud is cut for big mouth installs anyway, I'll cut a nice section out of the shroud right in front of the snorkel"... and sure as shit, it's kept my charge temps down... I can't say by how much, as I did it about the same time I got my AP, but I'm assuming that unless people live where it floods then this is one of the first things people with a stock air box should do... Let's not talk about how shitty and not perfectly clean that section is cut out, I used a drill with a circular bit over and over, but it works and can't be seen. :)