Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Stratified 4.10 Tune causing overheating?

2015 FIST all bolt-on.
Been running 3.10 Strat Tune for a year, love it. Went to get the fine tune package that I had bought and they forced me to *upgrade* to 4.10 (another $50). I didn't argue they're a good product but within 2 weeks of having the 4.10 on my FIST started overheating 215-220+ where it seemed like the Fan DC wasn't keeping up. Checked the Fan DC and it doesn't seem like it would kick on all the time or as fast as it should.

Yesterday during our upper 90's drive car starts doing the same thing. I pull over, throw the 3.10 on and continue driving. Immediately it's keeping temp 200-205.

I've reached out to Stratified to see what's up. I really suspect they mucked with the FAN DC % on the ETC but curious if anyone else has experienced this?

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
2015 FIST all bolt-on.
Been running 3.10 Strat Tune for a year, love it. Went to get the fine tune package that I had bought and they forced me to *upgrade* to 4.10 (another $50). I didn't argue they're a good product but within 2 weeks of having the 4.10 on my FIST started overheating 215-220+ where it seemed like the Fan DC wasn't keeping up. Checked the Fan DC and it doesn't seem like it would kick on all the time or as fast as it should.

Yesterday during our upper 90's drive car starts doing the same thing. I pull over, throw the 3.10 on and continue driving. Immediately it's keeping temp 200-205.

I've reached out to Stratified to see what's up. I really suspect they mucked with the FAN DC % on the ETC but curious if anyone else has experienced this?
Hmmm...very interesting! Let us know how it all goes down!

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

KKaWing

I did notice on a 100*F day cruising @ 75 mph estimated oil temps was at 220 and water was 218 or so. Stratified canned tune, no mods, v4.00.

Mountune here. My highest temps are on hot days, low gear, low speed driving. Something like 60mph uphill in 6th with AC on and ambient temp at 95F will get my coolant and oil to 220F+. On WOT pulls it rarely goes above 205F.

Any updates on this subject?

I was contemplating going to the latest version of tunes from Stratified.
I am on version 3.10 and have been for 1 1/2 years.
My current tune and mods never goes above 205 F and even that is rare. it typically stays around 190 F.
I am in south Florida so the temps can get hot.
Does anyone else have any data on this? or is this a non issue?

Thanks

SrsBsns

Subscribed for updates. I'm currently shopping for a tune and doing a lot of reading on Dizzy vs Stratified.

Sounds like Stratified is more aggressive anyways, and I don't want to worry about overheating because of a tune. Is this a common issue with Stratified?

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Subscribed for updates. I'm currently shopping for a tune and doing a lot of reading on Dizzy vs Stratified.

Sounds like Stratified is more aggressive anyways, and I don't want to worry about overheating because of a tune. Is this a common issue with Stratified?
I ran my stratified tune when ambient was ~103-105f during the summer and had no issues. I wasn't hoofing it around like a dickhead but I wasn't doing a prius impression either. I have a stock IC and it was definitely pulling power/feeling sluggish, but never got dangerously hot.

SrsBsns

I ran my stratified tune when ambient was ~103-105f during the summer and had no issues. I wasn't hoofing it around like a dickhead but I wasn't doing a prius impression either. I have a stock IC and it was definitely pulling power/feeling sluggish, but never got dangerously hot.
Thanks, that's really good to know. It sounds like a lot of these stories are one-off's.

I'm not planning on tracking the car, so just some occasional spirited driving. I'm on the stock IC for now, but I'll probably upgrade it in the next few weeks to help keep temps down.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Any updates on this subject?

I was contemplating going to the latest version of tunes from Stratified.
I am on version 3.10 and have been for 1 1/2 years.
My current tune and mods never goes above 205 F and even that is rare. it typically stays around 190 F.
I am in south Florida so the temps can get hot.
Does anyone else have any data on this? or is this a non issue?

Thanks

Came here to say that my Stratified latest version actually runs cooler than my Dizzy latest version, even though Stratified is definitely more powerful... Still like Dizzy for how smooth it is overall and low RPM cruising throttle response, but in canned form Dizzy is less powerful and I swear for some reason runs a bit hotter/heat soaks a bit more, I have gone back and forth multiple times to confirm this, and this is with both 93 tunes... I still LOVE my Dizzy e30 as my favorite, especially since I don't have e30 from Stratified. :)

I would take OP's problem with a grain of salt as he may have been affected by the cooling recall and he posted well before the recall was announced, so if you have a later'15+ with the better flowing head, IMHO you shouldn't worry.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Custom tunes are always best.

Off the shelf is never gonna be better.
Of COURSE, if you are trying to eke out every half horsepower or want some custom request done to to give up 2 HP for 10 TQ instead, then yeah, for sure... but as far as stock turbo there's not a lot of difference, especially on this topic as far as cooling is concerned.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thanks I went ahead and ordered the latest stratified revision.
Not to worried about it just curious.
Yeah, for sure, I just wanted to provide some feedback since I did go from 3.1 to 4.0 myself and like the new version MUCH better, glad I could help you make the decision! I was lucky and got my revision in when they were only charging $25 at first, I had only had my original tune from them for only a month before the update came out so felt that was only fair... And now Alex himself has just sent me a fixed tune with changes for free!

Last edited:

me32

1000 Post Club
Of COURSE, if you are trying to eke out every half horsepower or want some custom request done to to give up 2 HP for 10 TQ instead, then yeah, for sure... but as far as stock turbo there's not a lot of difference, especially on this topic as far as cooling is concerned.
A custom tune isnt just to get more power. A custom will normally be safer. Because not every car is the same. A custom is always the best option.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
A custom tune isnt just to get more power. A custom will normally be safer. Because not every car is the same. A custom is always the best option.
Do we have any stats to fallback on as far as custom is safer? Otherwise I see no reason to go against what I feel is kind of obvious and acknowledge flash tunes are quite conservative by nature to begin with. Also, with a stock turbo being the biggest bottleneck, with and without intercooler are really the two main stages. Especially not a lot of gains to be had once you use e30, the difference between 100% stock compared to FBO s about 10 HP from more aggressive timing in the tune for having an intercooler upgrade. A bit more difference on 93 having FBO's over stock, probably about 15 HP difference, from what are al the dyno's out there are showing anyway.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Update on the Stratified rev hang, they are working with me directly to try to resolve, excellent customer service from them. So far it looks like both Dizzy and Cobb OTS Stage 2 are both showing mild stock like rev hang, but for some reason my Stratified shoots up 50 RPM when pushing the clutch in, exacerbating the rev hang to an annoying level. Still have to go back and forth a couple of time more to confirm so Stratified can try to address for me.