Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

180F Ford Motorcraft Thermostat now available

TDavis

1000 Post Club
I would imagine as a Ford Tech you may have access to greater detail of parts updates and changes in the production line?
Usually but unfortunately with this I haven't heard of anything as such. Don't think the 2017s are any different as in my case I was doing some spirited driving on some back roads when it was 98F+ outside and my coolant hit 240 before I backed off and cruised to allow it to cool down.

Would be easier to diagnose if its a cooler t-stat as well if you could actually get just the t-stat itself from Ford. For the FiST's you have to get the entire t-stat housing to get the t-stat.

OP
koozy

koozy

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #44
Usually but unfortunately with this I haven't heard of anything as such. Don't think the 2017s are any different as in my case I was doing some spirited driving on some back roads when it was 98F+ outside and my coolant hit 240 before I backed off and cruised to allow it to cool down.
Yeah 240 is up there. Update once you get the old one out and if there's marks/stamping of what temp it is.

OP
koozy

koozy

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #46
Got mine in today.
Sweet, interesting to see the stamping on the bottom unlike mine which was on the side. Makes me think it's done manually and not on an automated assembly line. Will be interesting to see if your OE has a stamping. Don't understand why there wouldn't be one on it. But I couldn't locate one on my OE.

I imagine you'll have yours done real soon with all of the resources at your disposal. [wrenchin]

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
I have a 2017 and I'm quite certain my tstat is not 180F. In the peak of summer with the AC blasting and normal driving, my water temp stays around 215-220F. With the AC off it will hover around 207-210F. I've never ever seen it below 200F in the summer. If/when I get my 180 tstat, I'll be sure to save the oem so we can compare markings on it.

TDavis

1000 Post Club
Sweet, interesting to see the stamping on the bottom unlike mine which was on the side. Makes me think it's done manually and not on an automated assembly line. Will be interesting to see if your OE has a stamping. Don't understand why there wouldn't be one on it. But I couldn't locate one on my OE.

I imagine you'll have yours done real soon with all of the resources at your disposal. [wrenchin]
This is true but I need to find time to do it. Ideally I would want to put it in as well as put the Mountune rad in but I haven't gotten that yet and probably won't for a bit since the cooler weather is coming pretty soon anyway. I had no problems with track days when it was 60-70 outside.

redmoe

Only way to know for certain is someone pulling out a '17+ thermostat and looking at it, but then again my stock '14 didn't have any marks on it to indicate what temp it was. All references I could find don't indicate a change in thermostat for '17+ model years, but I'm not certain without more concrete evidence.

Here's my temps lifted from a post in my build thread. https://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/threads/3074-koozy-s-ST?p=181754&viewfull=1#post181754

Stock

Temps during a spirited canyon run with the OE Radiator and Mishimoto Oil Cooler. DHM turbo on E30 tune.

Temps during a spirited canyon run on same road with the Mishimoto Radiator and factory OE oil cooler. Stock turbo self tune Stage 3 91oct.
Forgot to post this earlier, this is cruising in light traffic. 101 outside temp stock t stat and Mountune radiator:

Attachments

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^^The VP "Cool Down" stuff, and the LubeGard "Cool It" are also very good.

Having seen the RED (but NOT the harder to find BLUE Diesel stuff) RL Water Wetter gum/gell up in Dex Cool first hand, I will not use that stuff in a coolant mix.

Last edited:

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
People need to look at their manuals, like where Ford says you do not need any additives. Ford does not test all available additives to automotive fluids, nor do they even test oils. They issue spec's and the makers certify they comply. So you need to be careful mixing things.........

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
People need to look at their manuals, like where Ford says you do not need any additives. Ford does not test all available additives to automotive fluids, nor do they even test oils. They issue spec's and the makers certify they comply. So you need to be careful mixing things.........
Not everyone is obsessed with this factory engineering OEM spec craziness like you. We all have our opinions and we're entitled to them. Life is pretty boring when you follow the book.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

CarGuy

1000 Post Club
Not everyone is obsessed with this factory engineering OEM spec craziness like you. We all have our opinions and we're entitled to them. Life is pretty boring when you follow the book.

I'd rather not have a product I used cause a warranty issue, but that's me. To each his own. It's your car and your warranty. I believe he was just explaining the logic behind his decision to use Ford products...no need to give him a hard time about it. I get what he's saying.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
I'd rather not have a product I used cause a warranty issue, but that's me. To each his own. It's your car and your warranty. I believe he was just explaining the logic behind his decision to use Ford products...no need to give him a hard time about it. I get what he's saying.

Not giving him a hard time it's just a constant pattern of his. I don't care what he or anyone else does.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account

I agree...To go nowhere...Follow the crowd! This has served me well as I am not lemming! [thumb].

I used this Nano coolant additive....it was free.....did it work....who knows...anything is better than nothing in most situations.

CarGuy

1000 Post Club
I agree...To go nowhere...Follow the crowd! This has served me well as I am not lemming! [thumb]
No one said anything about being a lemming. He stated a valid reason to use Motorcraft fluids while under warranty. Some people actually like to keep those things. We're not all rebels, adventurous people like you. You are my hero!

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
I agree...To go nowhere...Follow the crowd! This has served me well as I am not lemming! [thumb].

I used this Nano coolant additive....it was free.....did it work....who knows...anything is better than nothing in most situations.
Absolutely. Me and the wife have done pretty well without 4 year degrees. Amazing things can happen when you can think for yourself.