Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Stratified vs Dizzy vs JST

Looking to purchase a flash tune for my 2016, already have an AP. I also have an intake, intercooler, hotside pipe, DV+, and rmm.

I've narrowed it down to three options: Stratified, JST, or Dizzy.

Who here has had one of the three and then switched to another one? Curious how they compare against each other, if there really even is much of a difference. There are plenty of threads of people going from stock or OTS to one of these, which of course will be night and day. Mainly wanting to hear feedback if you've experienced two or more.

Would be primarily for 92 octane, but also going to get an E30 file as well.

A7xogg

Looking to purchase a flash tune for my 2016, already have an AP. I also have an intake, intercooler, hotside pipe, DV+, and rmm.

I've narrowed it down to three options: Stratified, JST, or Dizzy.

Who here has had one of the three and then switched to another one? Curious how they compare against each other, if there really even is much of a difference. There are plenty of threads of people going from stock or OTS to one of these, which of course will be night and day. Mainly wanting to hear feedback if you've experienced two or more.

Would be primarily for 92 octane, but also going to get an E30 file as well.
dizzy and stratified seem to be popular on the thread because of the "flash" tunes they offer.
JST seems to be non existent because well, i dont think hes on any forum(too busy tuning cars). Of course im gonna recommend jst but not because i have it, the car runs phenominal, pulls like a freight train(especially on e30), His customer service, holds almost all the ecoboost records whp and 1/4 times, Probably more stuff but anyway im gonna recommend jst because soo many people have switched tuners to go to jst after hearing the racing stories, riding in friends cars who got jst, the no wait time for tunes and email questions, car having wierd issues that current tuner would not address or ignore. I know people are gonna say they love their stratified tune and dizzy tune, which is great, but there customer base does not not have the overall customer satisfaction that jst has. Its a shame hes not on the forum or more people dont talk about jst, but Literally my whole area has switched from other tuners to jst after one guy got a jst performance tune for his focus.

honestly, cant say ive had any major work with Brian @ JST but a quick diag/check up. and all I can say is

Customer Service means a lot. JST provides that.

felopr

I have used all 3 before and I gotta say, you wont be wrong with any of them
If you are on stock turbo, power and torque would be basically the same (give or take error compensation from a lot of variables and ambient variations) with either of them given they use the same fuel quality (91,93 or e30).
Between the 3 that you have listed, Stratified and Dizzy offer a "canned" flash tune and also custom tuning , JST only offers custom tuning
My opinion of them:
Stratified:
What I like: is a really good base flash tune, hardly any neg correction, pretty much dial in for the fuel you are using.
What I don't like: customer service over the year has become terrible, a flash tune takes up to 5 days ( last time I had one, ver 3.9ish, I don't want to imagine now with the volume of the new version),
Some basic features that should be free "cost money"
1 datalog review cost as much as the tune itself

Dizzy:
What I like:
customer service, you can shoot him a message here, on facebook on his personal facebook or his business one or his email and he will respond you quickly. He has some cool investigation testings like the intake comparo dyno running he did, etc.
Also a really good base flash tune, hardly any neg correction, pretty much dial in for the fuel you are using. It cost $75 ($25 more than stratified) but includes a free datalog with it
Basic features can be change at no extra charge
Quick turnaround, 1 or 2 business days for the flash tune
Free decal swag
(This is my opinion) I like more his tuning strategy over the others. If you compare all of the 3 tuners, (93 oct) You can see he runs less max boost, 24 psi to 26 psi of the others but compensates with timing (since all 3 are pretty much the same as term of power/torque) but if you see ETC angle on a pull, dizzy never drops from 82 etc angle compared to the others, that etc angle just plummets to control boost. In other words, the tune is very optimize for the car/turbo. Again, This is my opinion of how I understand the tuning strategy for our platform, you are welcome to tell me I am wrong If I am, willing to learn here.
What I don't like: I have been thinking but I cant seem to find anything I don't like, He know his stuff and is a pleasure doing business with him. I guess not having a lifetime tuning? IDK

JST
What I like:
Just like Dizzy, customer service is on point, you can email him or message him on facebook and is quick to respond
Free decal swag
Quick turnaround
He knows his stuff for the platform and since this is a custom tune to your vehicle, Is gonna be good for the fuel and your driving style, given you give him the feedback he needs (You know, nitpicking stuff like what should idle rpm be, throttle curve, Cobb TC enable or disable by default, etc etc).
He offers a lifetime tune if you want that but in my opinion, Tune+ offers a better lifetime tuning option for the money
What I don't like: He doesn't have a flash tune option, so people could have a taste of what he is capable of. You expect a good tuning calibration because of the good feedback he has receive from the FOST guys, facebook pages and such, but other than that, you don't know what he is capable of, unless you fork $150, since that is the price of the custom tuning.

You cant go wrong with any of the 3 since power and torque is gonna be pretty much the same on all 3 on the stock snail ( the turbo is the limiting factor, not the tune)
If I where in your shooes I go with a flash tune from dizzy just to test the waters. Awesome costumer service, quick turnaround, you can change basic options (like idle rpm, If you want Cobb traction control enable by default and what number to set it, LC default RPM) for free, free decal swag.
If you want a custom tuning (don't expect something absurd like +20hp and +50torque compared to a flash tune because you wont see it, it is more a tune for your car, your fuel and your needs), if you go dizzy or jst you wont be wrong with either of them. Same price, same custom ability for settings or nitpicking that you want. The only difference is the their tuning strategy (what I said in the what I like about dizzy), but other than that, both are awesome.

Last edited:
OP
Speedboosted
Thread Starter #5
I have used all 3 before and I gotta say, you wont be wrong with any of them
If you are on stock turbo, power and torque would be basically the same (give or take error compensation and ambient variations) with either of them given they use the same fuel.
Between the 3 that you have listed, Stratified and Dizzy offer a "canned" flash tune and also custom tuning , JST only offers custom tuning
My opinion of them:
Stratified:
What I like: is a really good base flash tune, hardly any neg correction, pretty much dial in for the fuel you are using.
What I don't like: customer service over the year has become terrible, a flash tune takes up to 5 days ( last time I had one, ver 3.9ish, I don't want to imagine now with the volume of the new version),
1 datalog review cost as much as the tune itself

Dizzy:
What I like:
customer service, you can shoot him a message here, on facebook on his personal facebook or his business one or his email and he will respond you quickly. He has some cool investigation like the intake dyno running he did, etc.
Also a really good base flash tune, hardly any neg correction, pretty much dial in for the fuel you are using. It cost $75 ($25 more than stratified) but includes a free datalog with it
Basic features can be change at no extra charge
Quick turnaround, 1 or 2 business days for the flash tune
Free decal swag
(This is my opinion) I like more his tuning strategy over the others. If you compare all of the 3 tuners, (93 oct) You can see he runs less max boost, 24 psi to 26 psi of the others but compensates with timing (since all 3 are pretty much the same as term of power/torque) but if you see ETC angle on a pull, dizzy never drops from 82 etc angle compared to the others, that etc angle just plummets to control boost. In other words, the tune is very optimize for the car/turbo. Again, This is my opinion of how I understand the tuning strategy for our platform, you are welcome to tell me I am wrong If I am, willing to learn here.
What I don't like: I have been thinking but I cant seem to find anything I don't like, He know his stuff and is a pleasure doing business with him. I guess not having a lifetime tuning? IDK

JST
What I like:
Just like Dizzy, customer service is on point, you can email him or message him on facebook and is quick to respond
Free decal swag
Quick turnaround
He knows his stuff for the platform and since this is a custom tune to your vehicle, Is gonna be good for the fuel and your driving style, given you give him the feedback he needs (You know, nitpicking stuff like what should idle rpm be, throttle curve, Cobb TC enable or disable by default, etc etc).
He offers a lifetime tune if you want that but in my opinion, Tune+ offers a better lifetime tuning option for the money
What I don't like: He doesn't have a flash tune option, so people could have a taste of what he is capable of. You expect a good tuning calibration because of the good feedback he has receive from the FOST guys, facebook pages and such, but other than that, you don't know what he is capable of, unless you fork $150, since that is the price of the custom tuning.

You cant go wrong with any of the 3 since power and torque is gonna be pretty much the same on all 3 on the stock snail ( the turbo is the limiting factor, not the tune)
If I where in your shooes I go with a flash tune from dizzy just to test the waters. Awesome costumer service, quick turnaround, you can change basic options (like idle rpm, If you want Cobb traction control enable by default and what number to set it, LC default RPM) for free, free decal swag.
If you want a custom tuning (don't expect something absurd like +20hp and +50torque compared to a flash tune because you wont see it, it is more a tune for your car, your fuel and your needs), if you go dizzy or jst you wont be wrong with either of them. Same price, same custom ability for settings or nitpicking that you want. The only difference is the their tuning strategy (what I said in the what I like about dizzy), but other than that, both are awesome.
This is exactly what I was looking for, thanks! Couple more questions...

Did you notice any MPG difference between them?
Did any particular tune feel quicker/more powerful than another? (I suspect not)

felopr

This is exactly what I was looking for, thanks! Couple more questions...

Did you notice any MPG difference between them?
Did any particular tune feel quicker/more powerful than another? (I suspect not)
MPG not really, all 3 feels the same. it all depends how my feet feels if it is heavy or not lol. I haven't really done a test either, the feet is a really big variable for MPG, maybe I can do one with cruise control but feels to much of a hassle.
I havent don't test on the 1/4 of the 3 tunes but I expect more or less the same eta, Power and torque are the basically same on a stock snail
But what "make it feel powerful or fast" is the throttle curve aggressiveness. If you ride one car with linear throttle curve and other with aggressive throttle curve, you may say the linear one is slower since you have to press more the throttle to feel "torque" compare to a aggressive throttle curve when you press it a little and you feel like instant torque.
For me I don't like linear at all but don't really like really aggressive, I am more in the middle, I like some modulation but I don't want to press it a lot to feel torque.
Hope this helps with your question

I will vouch for Dizzy on the customer service side. I received a tune for my FiST that would not load from Mountune. I was in a pinch without a way to get to work and Jason with Dizzy offered to help out with a base map. That is incredible!!!! Randy came through for me even though he was on vacation but the fact that Dizzy had my back was awesome, I wonā€™t forget that. I used to be a part of the MSP3 community and I have to say, FiST owners are much more civil and willing to help out in my opinion.

kivnul

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
... What I don't like: customer service over the year has become terrible, a flash tune takes up to 5 days ( last time I had one, ver 3.9ish, I don't want to imagine now with the volume of the new version),
1 datalog review cost as much as the tune itself ...
I am about at the mid/late point of tune revisions with Stratified. The tunes are overall solid and Alex et. al. are very knowledgeable but the lag is definitely getting up there. I am on 17 calendar days since I last sent logs.

felopr

I am about at the mid/late point of tune revisions with Stratified. The tunes are overall solid and Alex et. al. are very knowledgeable but the lag is definitely getting up there. I am on 17 calendar days since I last sent logs.
The guy knows what he is doing but yeah that is more than 2 weeks of waiting, no fun.

A7xogg

MPG not really, all 3 feels the same. it all depends how my feet feels if it is heavy or not lol. I haven't really done a test either, the feet is a really big variable for MPG, maybe I can do one with cruise control but feels to much of a hassle.
I havent don't test on the 1/4 of the 3 tunes but I expect more or less the same eta, Power and torque are the basically same on a stock snail
But what "make it feel powerful or fast" is the throttle curve aggressiveness. If you ride one car with linear throttle curve and other with aggressive throttle curve, you may say the linear one is slower since you have to press more the throttle to feel "torque" compare to a aggressive throttle curve when you press it a little and you feel like instant torque.
For me I don't like linear at all but don't really like really aggressive, I am more in the middle, I like some modulation but I don't want to press it a lot to feel torque.
Hope this helps with your question
See I like the linear throttle curve cause with boost and an aggressive throttle curve 25% throttle is almost wot. I thought I liked it cause I had it in the gti but I didn't. For me you just get these huge surges of torque when you just wanted a little. So I like 50% throttle = 50% torque

felopr

See I like the linear throttle curve cause with boost and an aggressive throttle curve 25% throttle is almost wot. I thought I liked it cause I had it in the gti but I didn't. For me you just get these huge surges of torque when you just wanted a little. So I like 50% throttle = 50% torque
When you have a custom tune, you can tell the tuner to adjust it to however you feel like it. I don't like linear but also don't like full aggressive, so I just tell the tuner to give me a aggressive map -25% aggressiveness and continue from there, if it feels to aggressive still, lower it 10% more, something like that until you are satisfied

OP
Speedboosted
Thread Starter #12
Small update: Exchanged a few emails with Jason@dizzytuning and pulled the trigger on his 93/e30 combo! Already have the tunes as well! Amazing response time and super happy with his CS so far, can't ask for any more.

Only took it for a short drive (5 miles), but it's nice and smooth. Feels pretty much identical to the Stratified 91 octane flash I had previously, with Dizzy being a little quicker in 2nd gear and maybe a hair faster up top in 3rd. I see this as a huge positive since we will be able to tweak it a tad with the datalog. Also Jason's shift assist/rev hang is spot on. I'm very picky about how the car acts in first gears, Stratified's throttle mapping was perfect for me and the Dizzy tune is very close to it. I will see if we can adjust it slightly during the datalog review, but even if we don't it's still night and day compared to stock or Mountune.

I will keep this thread updated as I log more miles on the 93 file and hopefully soon load up the e30 and really have some fun! Thanks Jason!!

Jason at Dizzy tuning for me also. Just installed my x47r last week. Received a base map. Will be working on tuning next week.
Also, Jason responds quick and always has a positive attitude. A real winner for me.

zanethan

Semi related question on this. I'm leaning towards Dizzy when I finally buy my tune. However, Dizzy doesn't offer the package that includes the accessport. Would I theoretically be able to buy the accessport through Stratified and get their tune then also add the Dizzy tune? My apologies if this is a dumb question but I've never tuned through Cobb products before.

redmoe

Semi related question on this. I'm leaning towards Dizzy when I finally buy my tune. However, Dizzy doesn't offer the package that includes the accessport. Would I theoretically be able to buy the accessport through Stratified and get their tune then also add the Dizzy tune? My apologies if this is a dumb question but I've never tuned through Cobb products before.
Yes I believe the only ā€œlockedā€ ap is the Mountune MP215. I have several tunes from different tuners on my AP. I think getting the AP from Stratified is a great idea that way you can take advantage of their tune offering at the same price as an AP with just the Cobb base OTS files.

zanethan

Yes I believe the only ā€œlockedā€ ap is the Mountune MP215. I have several tunes from different tuners on my AP. I think getting the AP from Stratified is a great idea that way you can take advantage of their tune offering at the same price as an AP with just the Cobb base OTS files.
That's what I was thinking. May as well get the 'free' Stratified tune if I'm gonna fork over the same amount of money.

That's what I was thinking. May as well get the 'free' Stratified tune if I'm gonna fork over the same amount of money.
If you're dead set on Dizzy, your best bet may be to find a used AP for $350+. If you're getting a new strat one, there isn't much point in spending even more money to get a Dizzy flash tune as you'll not likely notice much difference between the two. I think redmoe posted his datalogues comparing the two.

If you go with a used AP, the Cobb ots stage 2 tune is pretty good. You might be happy enough with that to take a pass on a flash tune.

DEss

zanethan

If you're dead set on Dizzy, your best bet may be to find a used AP for $350+.

DEss
You have to be crazy fast to find a used AP. Usually by the time I see them posted they're long gone. The Cobb tunes are great and all but the general consensus is that they are VERY conservative and leave a lot on the table.

You have to be crazy fast to find a used AP. Usually by the time I see them posted they're long gone. The Cobb tunes are great and all but the general consensus is that they are VERY conservative and leave a lot on the table.
It's definitely a case of 'you snooze you lose.' But I think there have been at least 5 for sale in the last month on this forum. You might also want to look at the focus forum as I believe that car uses the same AP.

As far as the Cobb tunes being conservative. Maybe, maybe not. You're gonna have to decide for yourself how close to the edge you want to dance. Some have gone with flash tunes and went back to ots because the levels of boost they got seemed excessive.

If you have e85 around, I suggest getting the Strat e30 tune and just run with that. Dizzy offers e30 too but I believe he requires you to also purchase his pump gas tune as well.

DEss

OP
Speedboosted
Thread Starter #20
No reason to not buy a used AP on here from a reputable seller if you're going to be purchasing a flash tune from Dizzy, or any tuner for that matter. A used AP for $400 worst case still saves you $50 (plus any potential tax) vs buying the package from Stratified. I got lucky and purchased my AP for $325 after shipping, so deals are out there.