Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Trade in Value?

Curious to know if anybody has recently thought about unloading their FiSt and the experience they had. I have a 14 molten orange with 66k on the dash. Cloth seats, navigation, and sun roof, other than that the car is immaculate and hasn't seen snow. I was thinking about getting into a truck since I now commute less and would like to start tackling a few projects around the house. The dealer offered me an abysmal 6500... eventually they said they could go up to 7k. I bought the car a little over a year ago for around 15500 plus tax, title, and tags, so I currently owe around 11k. They wanted to tack on another 4k to the truck I looked at and I just got up and walked out when I heard their offer.

Here's the truck https://www.jaguarwhiteplains.com/u...WD+Truck-3dad7fa50a0d0c146c373b9fd2cce4f6.htm

I will be posting my car in the classifieds in the coming days at 12500 obo, currently has a cobb intake, cobb ap w/stratified tune, boomba 50/50 bov adapter, and 16x7 rota grids.

Plainrt

1000 Post Club
I think the mods hurt it. Just went today and was offered around 10k. Mine is a molten orange base 15. Stock and in above average condition with 73k on it. Original owner and no body work ever etc. Was gonna trade in on a new eco boost stang with performance package and sweet seat package but it kind of felt like a turd on wheels.

CarGuy

1000 Post Club
I usually check 3 websites for values and average the price out. KBB.com will be highest as they are what the dealer uses and the dealers pay to use their service. You get the idea. Edmunds.com get prices from the prices paid at registration so more accurate representation of values. I also look at NADA.com. Use all three and you'll get an average picture of what you vehicle is truly worth. It's sad but they don't hold their value well. But I'm happy to keep mine...I love it!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
$18,000 for a 9 year old truck with a 100,000 miles that's been a redneck special. I don't have anything nice to say about it. You can fine better I'm sure.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
If it was me I'd sell the car outright and not trade it in...as they will flip that car and sell it for 12k. As with the truck if you like it that much buy it....is it a certified Toyota though ? If not I'd ask the dealer if you can bring it to a Toyota dealer and have them do a full 100 plus point inspection on it just for peace of mind. If the dealer says NO ....Turn and RUN as there is something the dealer is hiding and they DO NOT want to you to find it. As I have worked at a dealership and independent garages it always pays to get a second opinion. Good luck! [raceflag]

Small cars with manual transmissions have poor resale value. Its a fact of life or a saving grace. Depends on which side of transaction you are standing.

OP
K
Thread Starter #9
Thanks for all the responses! At the time, I think I paid fair value for my car at 15500, it only had 34K miles on it, and molten orange was a must for me. I shopped around quite a bit in my area and it was one of the best I came in contact with. However, in my first year of ownership I put 30k miles on it, driving 150 miles a day. I also commented to the fact that it would be returned to stock upon trade-in so they appraised it with no after market parts. The truck was a 1 owner and meticulously kept from what I observed. I didn't have too much to argue with, and I have shopped around for trucks for the past few weeks. I guess I'll test the waters of private sale. It's not that I don't love this car cause I do, I was just hoping if I wanted to get out of the car scene and into something bigger I wouldn't have to struggle as much.

A confluence of several factors has left you in a pretty tough spot.

1. You probably overpaid slightly to begin with.
2. Selling a car after a year is never going to look pretty from a financial standpoint, especially if you a) finance it and b) put a lot of miles on it (both of which you did.
3. Nobody is buying cars right now.
4. Everybody is buying trucks right now.
5. A Molten Orange FiST is kind of a niche within a niche. It's probably not the kind of car they can sell someone on unless they come in specifically looking for it.

I think your best options are to:

1. Reconsider whether you really need to buy a truck vs. renting one for whatever odd jobs you might have.
2. Go private sale for both the car and the truck, realizing it may take you a while to get rid of the FiST. I can't see any reason to pay dealer markup on a 9 year old truck.

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
$18,000 for a 9 year old truck with a 100,000 miles that's been a redneck special. I don't have anything nice to say about it. You can fine better I'm sure.

+1

Also, why would you travel from PA to Long Island to purchase a vehicle. From my experience, you are paying a 10-20% premium on any vehicle bought on the island.

Here is an alternative from a quick autotrader search:

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for...Radius=200&makeCode1=TOYOTA&modelCode1=TUNDRA

Nothing about this makes sense.

First, you do NOT need a truck just to tackle a few home improvement projects. Rent or borrow a truck, or better yet, pay someone else to do the work for you. With all the money you save by not selling your car for 5 grand less than you owe on it, you'll have plenty of money to pay a professional.

Second, if you REALLY want a truck for whatever reason, buy a beater truck! Especially if it's going to be used like a truck. Picking up crap from Home Depot, running crap to the dump, etc. takes a major toll on a truck. The bed will look like hell after just a few trips. Why do that to a truck in great shape? Buy a beater for a few grand, drive it into the ground, and sell it in a couple years for what you paid for it. Win/Win.

Last, if you MUST own an extra cab Tundra for some strange reason, sell the FiST privately. Do NOT trade it in for pennies (OK, maybe quarters) on the dollar. THEN, find a truck to buy locally! Christ, there must be 10,000 Tundras for sale within 100 miles of you. No need to cross state lines to buy a truck that is a mediocre deal at best.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
Man don't beat the guy up if he wants a truck he wants a truck. I have a friend who wants a truck the only thing he will buy is a Dodge Ram Crew Cab can't be a quad cab, Hemi engine, would really like it to have 4-wheel drive, be red, low-mileage, and hasn't been in a major wreck. For no more then 22K he could fine what he wanted if he would settle for a quad cab, but nope has to be a crew cab even though no one rides in the back.

OP
K
Thread Starter #15
Haha it's all good! I agree with a lot of what you guys are saying too. I've been wanting something for projects like I said and I like the idea of having something bigger, 4x4, and that I don't have to deal with these forsaken roads. I've found myself to not enjoy the stiff ride as I once did when it was shiny and new. I think I'm going to ride it out and look for something decent that I can come out of pocket for.

CarGuy

1000 Post Club
Sounds like a better plan. Buy an inexpensive truck for project use. You thank us later. Lol

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Second, if you REALLY want a truck for whatever reason, buy a beater truck! Especially if it's going to be used like a truck. Picking up crap from Home Depot, running crap to the dump, etc. takes a major toll on a truck. The bed will look like hell after just a few trips. Why do that to a truck in great shape? Buy a beater for a few grand, drive it into the ground, and sell it in a couple years for what you paid for it. Win/Win.
I agree with this. I have a similar commute as OP, so id go bankrupt buying fuel for a full size pickup as a daily. I found a 91 k2500 4x4 rust free for 2k and its been an excellent truck for me on the weekends and the occasional drive into the city. Best part is I can sell it for the same, if not more than I have into it.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I have a an Idea! Be like some of the meatballs on here who put trailer hitches on their FiSTs and get a small trailer! [boxface]

me32

1000 Post Club
Man don't beat the guy up if he wants a truck he wants a truck. I have a friend who wants a truck the only thing he will buy is a Dodge Ram Crew Cab can't be a quad cab, Hemi engine, would really like it to have 4-wheel drive, be red, low-mileage, and hasn't been in a major wreck. For no more then 22K he could fine what he wanted if he would settle for a quad cab, but nope has to be a crew cab even though no one rides in the back.

He hasnt looked hard enough. Dodges are really cheap used and if you get a last year model new there also some killer deals at least in CA.