Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Getting tuned with X47R, getting knock.

kivnul

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
Good evening folks.

I am nearing the end of tuning on my x47 setup. On Eastern Washington 92 octane I am hitting right below 250 HP per Virtual Dyno, but I am seeing knock pretty consistently across the cylinders. Mods are in my profile but a quick and dirty are:

CPE intake -> x47 (with IWG75, Pumaspeed intake pipe, GFB DV+) -> Stock hotside -> Whoosh Intercooler -> Stock coldside
Stock exhaust manifold -> Mountune Catted DP -> Thermal R&D exhaust

I changed out spark plugs to 1 step colder just to see = No change
I changed to several different gas stations and brands = No change

Ideas on how I can squeeze more out of this? Would changing out the hotside help? (either full or just the metal part ala mountune)

Datazap example log

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
Are you doing your own tuning? Your ignition corrections are mostly all positive so I think you're right on the money. Yes, you are getting knock but that's the whole point of tuning for maximum performance - Give it as much timing as she'll take without knocking. Once it detects knock it dials back the timing.

OP
kivnul

kivnul

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
Thread Starter #5
Gotcha, thanks for the info folks. I am not doing the tuning, but my tuner is not the quickest to respond so I am doing as much research / data gathering as I can myself. 250 was always my goal but I was hoping to have headroom and to have 250 as the safe tune.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Gotcha, thanks for the info folks. I am not doing the tuning, but my tuner is not the quickest to respond so I am doing as much research / data gathering as I can myself. 250 was always my goal but I was hoping to have headroom and to have 250 as the safe tune.
Who is your Tuner?

pwnall1337

Vendor
I can't comment on your tune, however if you wanna go stratified just reach out to me on facebook.

The knock you're seeing is from a combination of too much timing/boost for your fuel quality.

OP
kivnul

kivnul

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
Thread Starter #8
I can't comment on your tune, however if you wanna go stratified just reach out to me on facebook.

The knock you're seeing is from a combination of too much timing/boost for your fuel quality.
Currently using stratified actually. I was hoping there was something I was missing that would allow me more wiggle room. Most likely Alex will cut boost a bit to bring things under control and we will be finished.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Currently using stratified actually. I was hoping there was something I was missing that would allow me more wiggle room. Most likely Alex will cut boost a bit to bring things under control and we will be finished.
Yeah, because the "92" octane we get in the PNW is actually quite underrated! With just a 93 flash tune and no revisions from Stratified I have ALL positive corrections, OAR stays buried at -1.00 and running at Stratified's full 26 PSI on an otherwise nearly stock car and see only the occasional single knock... So I was going to do a datalog as our fuel appears far closer to 94 than the rated 92, I'm pretty sure our fuel was rated at 92 before they made it e10 and never bothered to re-rate it to at least 93 or change the formula to keep it only 92... How's your supply of e85 over there in Spokane? Here in the Portland area it's sadly hard to find, but still, I would think you should be hitting 280 HP with your setup, AND Stratified is an excellent X47R tuner, so this is pretty strange!

OP
kivnul

kivnul

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
Thread Starter #10
The 92 we get over here (all the fuels really) comes from a single refinery in Montana and I feel it is of a different quality than the 92 on the coast. It appears to be worse than 93. Canned 93 tunes do work quite well but they are still a bit tame to allow for variations in fuel/cars so that they don't get swamped with people with broken cars / complaints. There is zero e85 available here. There used to be a station or two who sold it but with lack of sales and plenty of old engines around these parts everybody is now selling non-ethanol 91 octane if they have the spare tank. This is also one of the reasons I believe the 92 octane listed on the pump is accurate: they are taking 91 and adding the alcohol.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
The 92 we get over here (all the fuels really) comes from a single refinery in Montana and I feel it is of a different quality than the 92 on the coast. It appears to be worse than 93. Canned 93 tunes do work quite well but they are still a bit tame to allow for variations in fuel/cars so that they don't get swamped with people with broken cars / complaints. There is zero e85 available here. There used to be a station or two who sold it but with lack of sales and plenty of old engines around these parts everybody is now selling non-ethanol 91 octane if they have the spare tank. This is also one of the reasons I believe the 92 octane listed on the pump is accurate: they are taking 91 and adding the alcohol.
Makes sense! Best of luck with your tune, I'm sure Stratified will get it dialed in for you, I see no reason why you shouldn't be closer to 275 HP...

A7xogg

Looks like you got no timing because of the 92 oct. Looks really safe which is why u have 250 hp and a 29 air flow meter. literally you have 1-2 deg of timing. Only if you put a splash of e85 in there you be like woah( with a e85 blend tune of course)

pwnall1337

Vendor
I thought you were someone else :) I also had a customer recently purchase an x47r who lives in Washington. I apologize!

I just got my x47r tune completed, on WA pump 92, wish there was e85 around here. You would think there would be more corn for how green this state pretends to be.

I couldn’t be happier on my JST tune. On v-dyno I’m at 280whp.
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]
#PullMeOverRed #FiSTofFury #410machinebuilt #jstuned #jstperformance #fordfeistast #pwnallperformance #pumaspeed #x47r #cobbtuning #tbperformanceproducts #mishimoto #cfmperformance #turbosmart #boombaracing #mountune #velossatechdesign #ozracingwheels #projectkics #ebcbrakes #stoptechssbrakelines #rallysportdirect #cjponyparts #ford #fiestaST #1point6

danbfree

3000 Post Club
I just got my x47r tune completed, on WA pump 92, wish there was e85 around here. You would think there would be more corn for how green this state pretends to be.

I couldn’t be happier on my JST tune. On v-dyno I’m at 280whp.
It was mentioned earlier, there is W. WA "92", that is more like 94 and then there is E. WA 92, which is...92... Looks like you are Western? Welcome to the forum, you on FiST's of Fury and Fiesta ST Nation on FB I take it?

Anyway, good numbers, this is what I was expecting from OP, I wonder if the fuel quality is making a difference here...

From my different tuners, different cars... wrx/sti/fiesta st never heard anyone say anything good about gas in Washington state. Even in western Washington state.

Edit to add: if it is gas, and no e85, have you thought about water/meth injection? That’s my next plan.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
From my different tuners, different cars... wrx/sti/fiesta st never heard anyone say anything good about gas in Washington state. Even in western Washington state.

Edit to add: if it is gas, and no e85, have you thought about water/meth injection? That’s my next plan.
Strange, I've only gotten good feedback from tuners for Audi and now Ford saying that with a 93 base tune there is still room, and this is the same fuel down here in western Oregon that comes in from Blaine, Northern Wash. I believe... I'm pretty sure it was 92 octane before they mandated e10 and it was easier and cheaper just to keep the same *minimum* octane rating and production method and just add the e10 for a close to 94 octane equivalent...

Anyway, speaking of WMI, it is a great way to go with any turbo even (especially?) stock on our cars with the dual effect of another ~40 HP and intake valve cleaning. I really am surprised people will drop $400 on dual catch can setups that really doesn't do much AT ALL for carbon buildup when for just a bit more they can go WMI and get real cleaning and 40 HP...

OP
kivnul

kivnul

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
Thread Starter #19
Hi all. My OAR is a constant 1.0 but without knowing how the tuner sets the learning of it I do not know how relevant it is... When I first load the map it is already at 1.0.

I have not really looked into WMI. I do not race the car besides AutoX (and the extra HP has a dubious benefit there at this point due to lack of LSD and extra wide tires) so I do not know if it would be worth it for DD shenanigans.

Hi all. My OAR is a constant 1.0 but without knowing how the tuner sets the learning of it I do not know how relevant it is... When I first load the map it is already at 1.0.
You mean -1.0 right? 1.0 would mean the tune is waaay too aggressive for the fuel.

Below is from Stratified when they send out a tune:
Oct Adj Ratio Lrn (Octane Adjust Ratio - OAR): This parameter is learned and will evolve as you drive. It is an indicator of how the tune is performing against the modifications installed and fuel octane used. The target is to maintain an OAR somewhere between 0 and -1. It does not have to be at -1. If it is at -1, it means that the tune is able to maximize its learned performance. Use this as a gauge for the fuel you are using and the performance of the tune with that fuel. If you see this trend towards +1 it is an indication that the tune is too aggressive for the octane available so either higher octane must be used or the tune adjusted. It is NOT recommended to use 87 octane with a performance tune such as this one