Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Couldn't Update Sync 3- APIM Had Failed

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
My car came new 8/16 with Sync 3, Version 1.0. It was connected to Wi-Fi and set to auto-update, but it never did. Finally, in March it said it had downloaded an update, but to Version 1.0, what it came with. It also had an error message, Bad Installation File, and the voice recognition quit working.
I took it to the dealer, and after one unsuccessful try at troubleshooting, and then being unable to update it with a USB file, they got some error code that told them the APIM (Sync 3 module) was bad. We had a chicken/egg difference of opinion- I thought the failed Wi-Fi update bricked my APIM, they said the fact that they couldn't update it showed that it was defective. Ultimately it didn't matter, they gave me a new APIM on warranty, and I'm happy to say I now have Version 3.0 and it works fine. Ford did make them hold off on installing it for a while, conceding their software and updating were screwed up, and making them wait until the software install/update to the new module would work. The APIM's evidently don't come with software, it has to be installed after the module's installation.
Ford's updating, both through Wi-Fi and USB has been a miserable failure, with massive numbers of problems being reported on here and on other forums. I'm not saying a bad APIM is always the problem, just that it was for me, so if you can't update it's one possible reason to consider.
My dealer stepped up to the plate and pushed Ford for a resolution. APIM's are expensive, so Ford may not be too eager to approve new ones on warranty.

WiFi updates never worked for me but I've never had any issues with USB updates (2016 with nav)

OP
Capri to ST

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #3
I know some owners have been able to update with USB, but for those who can't I just thought I'd share my experience as a possible cause to consider.

Last edited: