Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Was he just messing with me?

1st post [emoji16] Picking up a FiST next week to be used as a track toy.

Wanted to comment that launching the RS is so easy a caveman could do it. Tick menu setting, mash throttle, go.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

jeff

2000 Post Club
1st post [emoji16] Picking up a FiST next week to be used as a track toy.

Wanted to comment that launching the RS is so easy a caveman could do it. Tick menu setting, mash throttle, go.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Congrats!

On AWD launches....mmmmmm...in my STi build years ago (actually a Forester XT converted to STi), which of course was AWD, launching was pretty simple even without Cobb launch control which wasn't available at the time....all you did was rev to 3,500 or so, slowly dump the clutch, off you go, the car stuck to the road and went forward swiftly.

I don't want to start anything but explain how an AWD car is harder to Launch? I've driven countless STIs and daily drove a Golf 6R APR Stage 2+ with 380 HP for quite a while (Manual aswell) and I had no Problem launching them. Don't dump the clutch but also don't release it too slow. You'll get a Feeling for it pretty fast tbh.

My 310 whp FiST is way harder to Launch.
My stock Mustang gt is still harder to Launch than awd..

From a Roll an STi is not as menacing. I used to eat them back in the day with my 240sx with the stock T25 (SR20). I still don't understand the hoopla around the EJ engines - every single EJ i've seen has went boom boom baby before 370whp can be achieved. anything beyond that typically requires a fortified block/sleeves e.t.c. . IMO We have better engines in our cars.
I agree, and being from the 4G63 family...I just think its laughable that they would try to convince me that an EJ was better... because it simply isn't. They are easier to build, more reliable, and make so much power with very little effort or money. I've never been a WRX fan... liked the first gen, the legacy spec-b, and forester (xt)? But i wouldn't even try to extract very much more power. I agree, we have great engines. I'm shocked on how well they make power with stock internals and with the stock clutch and things of that nature. I think we have a better engine than the FoSt's also. It seems they can be pretty unreliable when they are beat on. But to their defense (same defense I used for the 4G63) when people would throw around the "unreliable claim" is that alot of knuckleheads get their hands on those cars and fuck around with something they have no business doing, beat the hell out of it on a daily basis and neglect simple maintenance and preventative measures to insure reliability. For the most part, FiST owners seem to respect and take care of their cars but I'm sure there will be those types....

I agree, and being from the 4G63 family...I just think its laughable that they would try to convince me that an EJ was better... because it simply isn't. They are easier to build, more reliable, and make so much power with very little effort or money. I've never been a WRX fan... liked the first gen, the legacy spec-b, and forester (xt)? But i wouldn't even try to extract very much more power. I agree, we have great engines. I'm shocked on how well they make power with stock internals and with the stock clutch and things of that nature. I think we have a better engine than the FoSt's also. It seems they can be pretty unreliable when they are beat on. But to their defense (same defense I used for the 4G63) when people would throw around the "unreliable claim" is that alot of knuckleheads get their hands on those cars and fuck around with something they have no business doing, beat the hell out of it on a daily basis and neglect simple maintenance and preventative measures to insure reliability. For the most part, FiST owners seem to respect and take care of their cars but I'm sure there will be those types....
Don't get me wrong - I still think they are very cool cars (STi's/WRX's - Subaru's in general really).... but they are way over-hyped and deff have their issues. I liked the 4G63's back in the day they were tough as nails - the oddities that had crankwalk issues. I just feel like alot of Japanese cars in general are way way overhyped. Weak bottom ends ... poor head gasket sealing e.t.c. I am happy with my FiST after 2 years of ownership its been dead reliable and has never complained. Just wish we could handle Flex Fuel/E85 better out of the box.

Don't get me wrong - I still think they are very cool cars (STi's/WRX's - Subaru's in general really).... but they are way over-hyped and deff have their issues. I liked the 4G63's back in the day they were tough as nails - the oddities that had crankwalk issues. I just feel like alot of Japanese cars in general are way way overhyped. Weak bottom ends ... poor head gasket sealing e.t.c. I am happy with my FiST after 2 years of ownership its been dead reliable and has never complained. Just wish we could handle Flex Fuel/E85 better out of the box.
I definitely agree and I do wish we could handle e85 right off the bat.

FiST is the slowest enthusiast car. That's all there is to it. GTI, WRX, STi are all faster than any stage FiST short of a turbo swap. I think even the FRS and Miata would beat the FiST in 1/4. And with any decent power, a FWD car is a one-wheel-peel fest. Actually, Fiat 500 Abortion might be slower. But that's only because it will break down before hitting 60mph.

Wanted to chime in and say that my "stage 2" car on E30 stayed door to door with a '15+ STI from 45-120. Closest race I've ever had, neither one of us gave up an inch, even on the shifts which I thought was funny. Depo IC, CPE intake, DV+, MBRP Hotside, and Dizzy V1 E30 tune. The STI looked and sounded very stock, but was well driven.

The fist is deceivingly slow.
That is a highly inaccurate observation. Slow it is not but straight line speed is not its specialty. People want a great fast car then go get one that'll do the job you want from the get go. Remember how much you're asking of 1.6 liters.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
That is a highly inaccurate observation. Slow it is not but straight line speed is not its specialty. People want a great fast car then go get one that'll do the job you want from the get go. Remember how much you're asking of 1.6 liters.

i mean, stock vs a v6 minivan lol in a straight line and a stockish fist the vans probably going to take it.

I threw up a little reading all that garbage.
FiST is the slowest enthusiast car. That's all there is to it. GTI, WRX, STi are all faster than any stage FiST short of a turbo swap. I think even the FRS and Miata would beat the FiST in 1/4. And with any decent power, a FWD car is a one-wheel-peel fest. Actually, Fiat 500 Abortion might be slower. But that's only because it will break down before hitting 60mph.

He's not saying the FiST isn't slow in a straight line, he's saying people need to be more realistic with what they want out of this car and that it's not "slow" in all scenarios.
I've been around great fast cars my whole life. The FiST is by far the one I enjoy driving the most. I love how I don't have to wring its neck to be happy. And the gas mileage is awesome.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
This is comparing Apples and oranges here....Put those cars in with the FOCUS RS as that is where they belong. The cars that belong in this area are the Abarth....Hyundai veloster....GTI...MINI ..Etc....NOT Higher end performance hatches or sedans. I will agree the Abarth is a syphilitic abortion due to a pygmy grudge Fu#K. [wrenchin]

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
This is comparing Apples and oranges here....Put those cars in with the FOCUS RS as that is where they belong. The cars that belong in this area are the Abarth....Hyundai veloster....GTI...MINI ..Etc....NOT Higher end performance hatches or sedans. I will agree the Abarth is a syphilitic abortion due to a pygmy grudge Fu#K. [wrenchin]
Abarths got more character than the fist by a huge margin, but all Italian cars are that way. It’s why people put up with them, myself included. Owned several Italian cars, all dumpster fires I terms of reliability, all delightful to drive.

I didn’t think the fist being slow was a secret or anything, I kinda assumed many of us had more than one car. The FiST makes a great daily to keep miles off whatever else interests me at the time, and it makes me giggle on the way to and from the office every day. Until I can get back on a motorcycle the fist is a great stand-in now that I’ve made it my own a bit. We exist in a world of 300hp camrys lol who’d have thought.

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
He's not saying the FiST isn't slow in a straight line, he's saying people need to be more realistic with what they want out of this car and that it's not "slow" in all scenarios.
Yeah boys let’s calibrate the expectations here. The fist is basically the ninja 250 of the car world lol. It’s fun because you can flog it and have fun without being too crazy.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Abarths got more character than the fist by a huge margin, but all Italian cars are that way. It’s why people put up with them, myself included. Owned several Italian cars, all dumpster fires I terms of reliability, all delightful to drive.

I didn’t think the fist being slow was a secret or anything, I kinda assumed many of us had more than one car. The FiST makes a great daily to keep miles off whatever else interests me at the time, and it makes me giggle on the way to and from the office every day. Until I can get back on a motorcycle the fist is a great stand-in now that I’ve made it my own a bit. We exist in a world of 300hp camrys lol who’d have thought.
I will agree there.....I remember when that 300hp was a wow number....now its sordove just blah blah meh....what is the end to the means here with high HP#'S in everyday drivers that aren't exotics? Who knows...only time will tell. The evolution of electric cars is upon us people..... pretty soon rocket acceleration in the high torque electric motors will be a thing of the past. How long did horse and buggy last before the gas engine took over? About 100yrs if I do recall...so the end Is near for the combustion engine.....But when...only time will tell. [bawling]

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
I will agree there.....I remember when that 300hp was a wow number....now its sordove just blah blah meh....what is the end to the means here with high HP#'S in everyday drivers that aren't exotics? Who knows...only time will tell. The evolution of electric cars is upon us people..... pretty soon rocket acceleration in the high torque electric motors will be a thing of the past. How long did horse and buggy last before the gas engine took over? About 100yrs if I do recall...so the end Is near for the combustion engine.....But when...only time will tell. [bawling]
I test drove a Tesla, they’re everywhere here, and it’s fast but it just... I dunno, no soul? Really fast when mashing the gas, but I’m the sort to point the car at the opposite coast and just take off for a week or two on an adventure. Can’t do that in an electric, you have to plan it out. I’d like to see Tesla come up with inductive charting grids embedded in the freeway though, if interstates and major Howard were charge-neutral that would be a game changer.