Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

POLE: TOP TIER Gas Station Preference

What is your preferred TOP TIER Gas Station?

Votes: 4 4.8%
  • Aloha

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Amoco

• ARCO

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Beacon

• BP

Votes: 7 8.4%
  • Breakaway

• Break Time

• Cenex

• Chevron

Votes: 11 13.3%
  • CITGO

• Conoco

• Costco

Votes: 18 21.7%
  • CountryMark

• Diamond Shamrock

• Esso

• Express Mart

• Exxon

• Fast Fuel

• Fast Stop

• Hele

• Hawaii Fueling Network

• Holiday

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Irving Oil

• Kirkland Signature

• Kwik Star

• Kwik Trip

• Mahalo

• Marathon

• Metro Petro

• MFA

• Mobil

Votes: 6 7.2%
  • OAAI

• Ohana Fuels

• Phillips 66

• QT

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • QuikTrip

• Ranger

• Reeder's

• Shamrock

• Shell

Votes: 39 47.0%
  • Sinclair

• Sunoco

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • SuperAmerica

• SuperFuels

• Tempo

• Texaco

• Tri-Par Qwik Stop

• Valero

• Win Win

• Total voters

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Even though "Top Tier" is mainly a marketing term it at least guarantees the minimum acceptable additives for German and DI engines... And yes, even with DI it still matters as these additives help with a cleaner initial burn so there is less carbon buildup... So that said, the cheapest top Tier works great for me, Costco, but cost aside I like Shell the best.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
A prominent Ecoboost tuner recommends not using Shell. No idea why .
And without substantiated reasons it amounts to nothing but an assumption. Is their an additive they put in he does not like? Has he scienetifically proven its inferior with a series of tests on mulitlple ecoboost engine s vs other gasoline to back up this claim. Merely anecdotal evidence does not make a truth.
Not getting on you jist pointing out that your statement of this tuners statement without any real test proof is just ones opinion.

Business6

I use Chevron as there is one pretty close to me. I'd use Shell but it's not on my regular path at all :\

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
I use Arco here as normally 40 cents less per gallon than Shell, used it many years here and in UT in many different tuned vehicles, never had an issue.

I have not verified if they are keeping the winter blend full time, just saw Goldengate is closer to Shell prices, not blended. They sell the regular grades, E85, unleaded 100 octane race gas at $6.95, etc so their 91 might be pretty good gas.

I use 91 in our V8 4runner, will run OK on 87 but they recommend 91 or higher for better performance and it does run significantly better so the mileage might be a bit higher on it, never checked it out but I should do so. The Goldengate straight 91 might work out well so will check into it as well.

I ran Chevron for many many years before switching to Arco, usually no Shell stations around.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I have not seen an Arco station in this general area (Joyzee/Pennsyltuckey) in at least 30 years, if not longer.

In fact, when I looked at their 'locator' map, there was not a single station east of the Great Divide (actually not even east of the immediate west coast!), save for ONE in Minnesota.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I have not seen an Arco station in this general area (Joyzee/Pennsyltuckey) in at least 30 years, if not longer.

In fact, when I looked at their 'locator' map, there was not a single station east of the Great Divide (actually not even east of the immediate west coast!), save for ONE in Minnesota.
Where is this ARCO station you speak of? Never heard of it in my life of living in Sota.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
All y'all City boys have such easy access to Costco. Exxon, shell, BP or Citgo. Hell no to Sheetz, Murphy's or no name.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Wawa, Shell, Exxon, BP or Sunoco

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have 93 everywhere here in Ohio, but the only 2 stations near me that sell E85 do not have top tier gasoline. So I will run the tank down to about 30 miles to empty, stop at Shell and add 93 octane, then go to the grocery store up the street that sells E85 and put in the required amount to get me to E30 according to the Stratified Tuning chart, which I have laminated and keep in my door pocket. I have tested the local station E85 for ethanol content and it is exactly 85%, which makes using the Stratified chart okay. If I travel with the car, I just run my 93 tune. The only one on the list I try hard to avoid is BP because of the Deepwater Horizon with 11 lives lost and incalculable damage to the Gulf.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
I am pretty sure the Goldengate down the road from me sells E30 as well as the mentioned E85, 100 percent 91 gas, race gas....I have MWI so only run 91 as all I need.

OP
anticon

anticon

Thread Starter #38
I used to use Shell mostly, but I switched to Chevron at some point 7 to 8 years ago. Chevron takes the Safeway rewards discount around here. I was actually surprised to see ARCO on the Top Tier list, I have typically stayed away from ARCO, because I had been told a long time ago that they didn't have good gas. I think I stayed away also because they used to only take debit.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
I used to use Shell mostly, but I switched to Chevron at some point 7 to 8 years ago. Chevron takes the Safeway rewards discount around here. I was actually surprised to see ARCO on the Top Tier list, I have typically stayed away from ARCO, because I had been told a long time ago that they didn't have good gas. I think I stayed away also because they used to only take debit.
Arco’s Gas is fine I have run it and Costco for years. I only started doing Sheel because of fuel reward which gives me substantial discounts. Before that it was fillups at Costco for 4% casback on my Costco Visa and Arco when I am out and about because they are not Costco gas stations everywhere.
Then Shell sarted doing fule rewards and damn I saved .50 cents a gallon on my last fillup.

On one of the threads, a couple of years ago, someone mentioned that there could be a problem using Shell gasolines on high-tech turbo engines, such as ours, as some additive in it reacts negatively with some sensors. I think an article elsewhere was referenced.

It didn't matter to me at the time because A) I'm in Canada and B) I rarely use Shell, mostly Petro Canada 94 (previously Sunoco 94).

I have done a couple of searches and have been unable to pull up that old thread

Ford Community Posts