Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

E30 mixing procedure question

So I've been running a stratified E30 tune for a tank now and it's great.

The first E85 station I found had the ethanol pump about 5 ft from the normal gasoline pumps and was a piece of cake for mixing, just pop the e-brake and roll forward a foot or so.

My dilemma is that almost all of the other E85 stations around me have the E85 pump roughly 50-90 ft away from the normal fuel pumps, which would make scooting the car a bit of a chore.
Can the car make it the roughly 75 ft pump shift on almost pure e85 (E85 on E30 tune)? Or the other way around (91 on E30 tune)? My gut says no go but I don't know.

Should I just stick to the one where the pumps are close to each other?

[scratch]

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Yes, it will make it no problem. I have the same issue as you in that the E85 pump is 30 yards or so from the regular pump. I also have an ethanol content gauge so I know this for a fact.

I have noticed that it usually takes 5 minutes of idling or 30 seconds of driving before the fuel lines are clear of the fuel that was previously in the tank. It also takes some time for the mixture of the two fuels to find an equilibrium.

It is safe to keep you’re doing. If going from 93 to E30, I would actually drive for 5 minutes before swapping to your ethanol tune to be safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Butterybunz

Totally safe to do so. Better to fill up with premium first then drive the small distance to the e85 pump. Since your not going into boost it's absolutely nothing to be concerned about.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
Interesting the only place that has E85 where I live is Sheetz, and it all comes from the same pump.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

OP
D
Thread Starter #5
It's set up like this at most places around here: https://goo.gl/maps/NafpMZ1S3JN2

There are a few stations around with the two pumps close to each other, so I'll make an effort to go to those, but good to know I can make the shot hop from pump to pump if needed.

Thanks for the info everyone! [like]

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
One time I accidentally filled up with E85. I drove it for the next 100mi without getting past half throttle, then topped it off with 93. I survived. The issue with E85 on our cars is that the fuel pump runs out of juice on the top end and you risk running it lean. If you never put the engine under heavy load it will be fine.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Haha alex i did this exact same thing. E85 is corrosive and def dont have enough headroom for a full throttle pass. I gradually went from e85, to e65, e50, e30. While still on full e85 i accelerated to make it through a stale yellow light and after letting off was greeted by the loudest shotgun like sound from the exhaust. No knock detected, but scared the living shit out of me

This is 93 and 30% coming right out of the pump here in Wichita. No need to mix here.

redmoe

It’s probably just 87 octane. Assuming ethanol is 109 octane AKI: (109*.3)+(87*.7)=93.6

DEss

This is 93 and 30% coming right out of the pump here in Wichita. No need to mix here.

That's a real shitty way to display their fuel. The left 3 types should all fall under the yellow flex-fuel banner. An unsuspecting buyer might accidentally pump e30, when she really just wants premium gasoline.

DEss

LILIKE16ST

Interesting the only place that has E85 where I live is Sheetz, and it all comes from the same pump.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk
that is the same in southwest va...only 2 places have e85 anywhere near me and they're both sheetz and they have all of them at the same pump on almost every pump they have there. they also have 88 octane e15 that is slightly cheaper than basic 87. the quality is awesome on both the 93 and the e85...it tested 85 percent in February and I checked it recently two different times and it was 90% both times. very awesome fuel I am leaving a little power on the table with this fuel just running a flash I think I'm gonna go custom. it won't be huge gains but even a few hp across the entire upper rpm band should make the car noticeably quicker.