Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

What is the worst thing you have done to your FiST?

I have snapped my boost solenoid a while back and threaded in an air fitting using a 3/16” drill bit, thread tape and secured it with zip ties and duct tape to limp it to Ford. After $78 I got a new one and swapped it out.

When I bought my 2017 FiST late 2016, there was not an intake available yet that would match up with the various air fittings. I bought one from Cobb anyway and it involved a lot of random T-fittings, plastic reducers and thread tape just to make it work. It looked like ass and I questioned my sanity as it only had 400 miles on the odo. I eventually bought Cobb’s $45 “fix” when it was released to make it work.

Let’s hear what you have done that you are embarrassed about!

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I bought it....kidding....Curbed my first wheel ever in my 20yrs. Of driving! FML...but hey I got another set from Jeff in Georgia....when I was on vacation in the Florida Keys!

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

I attempted to remove the intake hose from my 2017 and snapped the pcv fitting (with the green clips). Thought I could just move it out of the way instead I was lazy and did not disconnect it. Vac leak resulted. Tried to gorilla glue it, but failed to hold.

Also attempted to install short shift kit. Make contact with a wrench to a metal part, resulting in sparks and shorted out power steering. Car had to be towed to shop. I managed to fry one of the fuse boxes as well as replace the intake hose.

Know your limits, people.

OP
FiSTicuffs
Thread Starter #4
I attempted to remove the intake hose from my 2017 and snapped the pcv fitting (with the green clips). Thought I could just move it out of the way instead I was lazy and did not disconnect it. Vac leak resulted. Tried to gorilla glue it, but failed to hold.

Also attempted to install short shift kit. Make contact with a wrench to a metal part, resulting in sparks and shorted out power steering. Car had to be towed to shop. I managed to fry one of the fuse boxes as well as replace the intake hose.

Know your limits, people.
I bought it....kidding....Curbed my first wheel ever in my 20yrs. Of driving! FML...but hey I got another set from Jeff in Georgia....when I was on vacation in the Florida Keys!

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk
Oh no! I am glad you shared this, I will be installing a short shift kit in the future. Good thing to be aware of.

Gorilla glue always seems to be our go to repair that always ends up making things worse lol.

OP
FiSTicuffs
Thread Starter #5
I saw that you met with Jeff, pretty cool! Been following this forum for a long time before I bought a fist, neat to see the friendships (and animosity) between members on here over the years.

Erick_V

I think I was trying to get my exhaust to fit a bit better so of course I had the car on 4 jack stands. Upon completion I'm lifting the car up, moving the stands out and lowering the car back to the ground. Being 100+ in my garage, tired and sweating bullets I was pretty eager to finish. I had a lapse in concentration and I lowered the car without moving the jack stand far enough away from the car. My plastic side skirt met my jack and put a dent in it. Luckily its mostly on the bottom side of the side skirt and you can hardly tell its there if you're looking at the car. You can see the deformation a little when the sun is hitting it. While somewhat noticeable I doubt anyone would see it unless I pointed it out, but I see it every time I jack the car up so its a reminder to not be stupid again lol

OP
FiSTicuffs
Thread Starter #7
I did somwthing similar 10 years ago with my brand new, at the time, '08 MSP3. I had never replaced a RMM and did not know really anything about working on cars. I used a jack stand to support the block (unnecessary but didnt know any better) and replaced the stocker with a Cobb RMM. I did this on my lunch break so I didnt have much time. I was soooo excited I couldn't wait for the end of shift to allow myself more time. I finished up and went to drop the car and heard a loud crunch. Realizing what I had just done, I panicked, jacked the car up again but it shifted and I cracked my sideskirt. After finally getting it in the air, I realized I had also dented (que laughter and name calling) my oil pan. Idiot!!!! Lol, there are two things in this world that get me excited to where all judgement goes out the window, women and car parts in boxes on my doorstep!

My story doesn't compete with anyone's at all; it's actually quite trivial by comparison.

My biggest regret is not taking the time to apply some grease to the inside of my rims (my set of winter tires on steelies to be more specific). About three months after the summer to winter tire switch, I did my first tire rotation of the year. The rear wheels were rusted solid to the hat of the rear brake rotors, so I had to take a mallet to both of them until they broke loose.

Also, I've yet to locate center caps for my winter set, so as a result, there's was a lot of rust build-up on the hub assembly around the axle nuts. I did initially apply silicone grease to that area for each tire, but the workers at the car wash did such a good job that they ended up cleaning off all the grease I applied to each hub assembly!

Unfortunately, I did not notice this until it was too late.

Needless to say, I had to scrape and sand A LOT of rust off during my most recent tire rotation.

The More You Know

Well, I was attempting to do an easy spark plug job. The first three came out easy and fast. The last one well not so much. I want using locking spark sockets so when I attempted to remove it the damn thing just stayed on the spark plug. That normally wouldn't have been an issue but for some strange reason or was putting back some on and off resistance. It felt like it was binding so I treated it with care. I had a buddy come over and try it to see if he could figure it out. Nope; it did the same thing for him. So 5 auto parts stores later I had several tools in hand. One of which was a locking extension I can use to attach to the socket that was on the spark plug. I wanted to make sure I wasn't stripping the threads so I wound it back tight and gently tried to ease it back out but it was still giving me the same resistance of on and off. I had already spun it tens of dozens of times and so did my buddy but no luck.
So now the worst thing started going through my mind like now I'm going to have to pull the head and take it to a machine shop have the threads redone. Well it was getting late and I was tired so I started working the ratchett in sets of 30 repetitions. I figured I do 200 at least so I can say that I've spun this thing 200 times and got no love. On my very last set I was spinning it to loosen it and up it came. Not expecting it to actually be the spark plug I thought I had broke something off or strip my threads or the worst. Nope dam spark plug threads look perfect the threads on my head were fine. As I put in a new sparkplug very gently it seated perfectly and viola! I still to this day have no idea why that spark plug would not come out but just kept turning. Nothing was hindering the socket from coming out I just don't know why it just kept spinning.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
FiSTicuffs
Thread Starter #11
Well, I was attempting to do an easy spark plug job. The first three came out easy and fast. The last one well not so much. I want using locking spark sockets so when I attempted to remove it the damn thing just stayed on the spark plug. That normally wouldn't have been an issue but for some strange reason or was putting back some on and off resistance. It felt like it was binding so I treated it with care. I had a buddy come over and try it to see if he could figure it out. Nope; it did the same thing for him. So 5 auto parts stores later I had several tools in hand. One of which was a locking extension I can use to attach to the socket that was on the spark plug. I wanted to make sure I wasn't stripping the threads so I wound it back tight and gently tried to ease it back out but it was still giving me the same resistance of on and off. I had already spun it tens of dozens of times and so did my buddy but no luck.
So now the worst thing started going through my mind like now I'm going to have to pull the head and take it to a machine shop have the threads redone. Well it was getting late and I was tired so I started working the ratchett in sets of 30 repetitions. I figured I do 200 at least so I can say that I've spun this thing 200 times and got no love. On my very last set I was spinning it to loosen it and up it came. Not expecting it to actually be the spark plug I thought I had broke something off or strip my threads or the worst. Nope dam spark plug threads look perfect the threads on my head were fine. As I put in a new sparkplug very gently it seated perfectly and viola! I still to this day have no idea why that spark plug would not come out but just kept turning. Nothing was hindering the socket from coming out I just don't know why it just kept spinning.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Very bizarre indeed!

Money shifted from 3rd to 2nd at about 75mph, didn't over rev it too much thank goodness but there was a little excrement that came out when I let the clutch out and heard the over-rev.

Honorable mention: A while back I forgot to completely remove one of the jackstands from the driver's side after doing an oil change, let the jack all the way down and heard the sound of cracking plastic. Turns out the jack stand popped out the little mudguard between the fender and rocker. Put it back and replaced the clip.

I money shifted on the highway once. Wasn't going super fast so tried to grab third for a pass and blipped first. It ran really rough after that and I thought I trashed the engine. Pulled over and turned it off and let it sit for a couple minutes. Fired it back up and it was fine. Scared the shit out of me, lol.[rant]

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
My story doesn't compete with anyone's at all; it's actually quite trivial by comparison.

My biggest regret is not taking the time to apply some grease to the inside of my rims (my set of winter tires on steelies to be more specific). About three months after the summer to winter tire switch, I did my first tire rotation of the year. The rear wheels were rusted solid to the hat of the rear brake rotors, so I had to take a mallet to both of them until they broke loose.

Also, I've yet to locate center caps for my winter set, so as a result, there's was a lot of rust build-up on the hub assembly around the axle nuts. I did initially apply silicone grease to that area for each tire, but the workers at the car wash did such a good job that they ended up cleaning off all the grease I applied to each hub assembly!

Unfortunately, I did not notice this until it was too late.

Needless to say, I had to scrape and sand A LOT of rust off during my most recent tire rotation.

The More You Know
Next time just loosen the lug nuts halfway then set the car back on the ground. They'll break lose 99% of the time. The other 1%, just drive it forwards and back in the driveway a few feet and it will surely break loose.

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
I've also money-shifted into 2nd going for 4th. The revs shot up to about 7500 before I put the clutch back in. I was pretty paranoid for the next day or so lol. Realistically though, our rotating assembly could probably spin to 10,000 without risk of mechanical failure.

Next time just loosen the lug nuts halfway then set the car back on the ground. They'll break lose 99% of the time. The other 1%, just drive it forwards and back in the driveway a few feet and it will surely break loose.
There won't even be a "next time" since I now know what needs to be greased.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Curbed mine to. Minor damage; not noticeable unless you look close. I blame the tighter steering. [shhh]