Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

E -10 gasoline not e-15

ROCKYFiestta

HELLO,

i noticed while filling up it says we can use e-10 gasoline i currently swapped over to 91 as is available in colorado but i recently went to a few gastations that have e-10 gasoline and it was considerably cheaper around 2.65 versus 3.35 for 91. i know that the e-85 gas has higher detonation threshold compared to just regular 85-87 gasoline and was wondering if this also holds true for e-10 gasoline they always color it light blue here so you dont mix it up with the corn yellow e-85 and regular gas is black
is there anybody that has ran the e-10 gasoline?
i am currently at a combined 31.7 mgp with the 91 gas so far which use to be 28.8 mgp when the car had 87 and also only other mod was a boomba adaptor.
definitely curious to see some results if any

The manual will tell you that it's ok to run E10. Most tunes don't care. Yes, it offers slightly lower knock potential. But it's not significant given other factors (quality of fuel, condition and age of the station tanks, etc.). Some states, like OR here, only have E10. Well, occasionally you'll run into gas stations that offer pure petrol. But they're rare. The state mandates that every regular gas station offer E10. Since gas stations only have 2 underground tanks (one for reg and one for premium), almost all of them only offer E10. I get something around 5% worse fuel economy in every vehicle running E10 vs E0. Due to supply/demand, the 2 gas stations in the radius of 30mi that have E0, charge $1 more per gal. So there is no economical sense to use them. Farm equipment and old cars have no choice, so they get raped at the pump, courtesy of the progressive state gov.

Quisp

1000 Post Club
I would think 91 octane is 91 octane. The means to get it there shouldn't matter.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
HELLO,

i noticed while filling up it says we can use e-10 gasoline i currently swapped over to 91 as is available in colorado but i recently went to a few gastations that have e-10 gasoline and it was considerably cheaper around 2.65 versus 3.35 for 91. i know that the e-85 gas has higher detonation threshold compared to just regular 85-87 gasoline and was wondering if this also holds true for e-10 gasoline they always color it light blue here so you dont mix it up with the corn yellow e-85 and regular gas is black
is there anybody that has ran the e-10 gasoline?
i am currently at a combined 31.7 mgp with the 91 gas so far which use to be 28.8 mgp when the car had 87 and also only other mod was a boomba adaptor.
definitely curious to see some results if any
I will predict your Mileage....It will be between 27.5-28.5 with any of the E-10 -E-15 fuels.....[loveboost]

redmoe

I would think 91 octane is 91 octane. The means to get it there shouldn't matter.
This ^^

If they are specific in labeling it E10 and 91 it is blended to be 91. In some regions the ethanol content will vary with the seasons but the fuel distributors are still targeting the posted octane. That being said the fuel quality does vary quite a bit from region to region. Here in Az ours in not so great.

OP
ROCKYFiestta

ROCKYFiestta

Thread Starter #8
my gas pump just says e-10 use in 2002 or newer it does not actually say the actual octane rating. that aside i am getting 31.7 mpg on 91 with 0% eth where i live but it is almost 80 cents more per gallon. why i was wondering if the e10 had the same detonation resistance of the 91 e-0 then i would highly consider swapping to save that much per gallon. epecially if the hp loss is miniscule.

redmoe

my gas pump just says e-10 use in 2002 or newer it does not actually say the actual octane rating. that aside i am getting 31.7 mpg on 91 with 0% eth where i live but it is almost 80 cents more per gallon. why i was wondering if the e10 had the same detonation resistance of the 91 e-0 then i would highly consider swapping to save that much per gallon. epecially if the hp loss is miniscule.
That’s makes more sense. So the pump is just labeled E10? This would be a mix of 87 (90%) and ethanol (10%). That gives you an approx octane rating of 89.2 (87*.9)+(109*.1).

If it is a mix of E85 and 87: (87*.9)+(105*.1)=88.8

This is all assuming the ethanol is about 109 octane.

Some references have E85 at 100 octane. That puts you at around 88.3 for an E85/87 mix.

Last edited:

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
They don't even tell you the octane what kind of crap is that. Sheetz here sells E15 and it says 88 octane. I would stick with the 91. I know it cost more but you don't even know the octane of this stuff.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Since OP is in a high elevation area, the e10 may be 87 AFTER the ethanol is added as high elevations quite often offer 85 octane... But yes, e-10 is pretty much the norm for most places in general, so whether it's shown as 87,89 or 91-93 for premium, it's all e-10 for most of us with a few spot having ethanol free... Either way, it's a turbo car so run 91+ octane if you can, you can see the better mileage and the power will be better too.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
The manual will tell you that it's ok to run E10. Most tunes don't care. Yes, it offers slightly lower knock potential. But it's not significant given other factors (quality of fuel, condition and age of the station tanks, etc.). Some states, like OR here, only have E10. Well, occasionally you'll run into gas stations that offer pure petrol. But they're rare. The state mandates that every regular gas station offer E10. Since gas stations only have 2 underground tanks (one for reg and one for premium), almost all of them only offer E10. I get something around 5% worse fuel economy in every vehicle running E10 vs E0. Due to supply/demand, the 2 gas stations in the radius of 30mi that have E0, charge $1 more per gal. So there is no economical sense to use them. Farm equipment and old cars have no choice, so they get raped at the pump, courtesy of the progressive state gov.
I know you are way down south in Oregon, but central area from Redmond, Bend and down past LaPine have a LOT of ethanol free available at prices only about 50 cents more than e10 if you search around... But in my case, up here in the Portland area our e10 premium fuel is rated 92 octane but tuners consistently show is actually 93+, I think we may have had this discussion before... If the same gas that supplies W. WA and OR makes it all the way down to you via I-5, then it should be the same there too, which I'm pretty sure it is... I'm almost positive what happened was that the refinery up in N. Washington had their premium rated at 92 before e10 was required and once e10 WAS required, it was easier to just keep the same *minimum* rating rather than change up everything. Anyway, the bottom line is ethanol free is better for mileage in general while if tuned for specifically, ethanol blends can make more power, an e30 tune has been shown to make 10-30 whp more than a regular 93 tune... OP is seeing better mileage with the 91 as it's higher octane AND ethanol free, from how they describe it...

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Correct.

That is how it works. Doesn't matter if it's 100% gasoline or 90 - 10 or 85 -15, if it's rated for 91, it'll be 91.
No, not exactly, and I just gave an example why... for some of us our premium was rated at a certain *minimum* octane before the e10 mandate and once the mandate happened it was easier to not change the formula, just add 10% ethanol and still call it the same *minimum* octane as before even though it's been proven higher by tuners... For example, where I live it says 92 octane but tuners say it's more like 94 and my 93 tunes don't ever even give me a single negative correction during WOT, so I believe it, 3 different enthusiasts groups tuners have said the same as far as my fuel... Also OP was talking about fuel economy so in that case lower ethanol is better, same octane fuel with e0 will get better mileage than the same octane with e10.

redmoe

I think the best way to summarize the octane debate is: Without historical data or custom tuning use the posted octane as your reference.

If you do not have data to qualify the local fuel quality (I would want this through the seasons) I would not assume it is a higher octane rating than posted.

Most importantly monitor your OAR and knock/ignition corrections as each car is different and you could always get a bad batch of fuel.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
I think the best way to summarize the octane debate is: Without historical data or custom tuning use the posted octane as your reference.

If you do not have data to qualify the local fuel quality (I would want this through the seasons) I would not assume it is a higher octane rating than posted.

Most importantly monitor your OAR and knock/ignition corrections as each car is different and you could always get a bad batch of fuel.
Absolutely agree! I have 6 years of data across tuners from 3 different car lines that all confirmed what I'm saying as far as my area... And I STILL keep OAR and Max Ignition Corrections open on my AP to capture any negatives across any cylinder, just in case... Also, where I live the winter gas is only very slightly different than summer but some areas can vary a lot more, anyone can web search to find differences in their area as far as winter and summer gas is concerned too. So like my signature says, if you are in one of the few areas that says their premium is 92 octane there is a good chance it's actually 93 or more but you MUST watch your values to make sure and KEEP them up as well... For example I don't even bother watching my AFR, I have a Stratified tune and a very low mileage car, I trust everything is working right but I sure as heck watch my temps, OAR and corrections, AND I make sure to have 91 tune map available to switch to right on the fly as well, you can't take anything for granted... That said, far too many people don't realize they can easily run 93 tunes instead of 91 and leave power on the table for sure... For example, if OP has ethanol free 91 octane, they could easily run a gallon of e85 with it and run a 93 tune (if not a full e30 tune as well), but should always have a 91 map available too to be safe.

Jerickson88

Sorry for the thread jack, maybe this will also help. Some stations I use and fill with 93, actually most say 93 and then there’s an ethanol content of 10%. Why does that really mean? Is that E10?

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
Sorry for the thread jack, maybe this will also help. Some stations I use and fill with 93, actually most say 93 and then there’s an ethanol content of 10%. Why does that really mean? Is that E10?
Yes every gas station where I live has a little sticker. "May contain up to 10% ethanol".

Jerickson88

Yes every gas station where I live has a little sticker. "May contain up to 10% ethanol".

So, that means e10? I don’t mean it in the sense of having some hidden gem, but I’ve heard of guys wanting to run an e10 mix, but we have it readily available?

Edit. I get it.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
So, that means e10? I don’t mean it in the sense of having some hidden gem, but I’ve heard of guys wanting to run an e10 mix, but we have it readily available?
All gas in my area that I'm aware of is E10. We do have a few spots that sell pure gasoline with no ethanol in it but it is significantly more expensive.